Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 sore on ferret tummy
saphire

• Total Posts : 814
  • Reward points : 0
sore on ferret tummy - Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:52 PM
When I got Panda about 3 months ago she had a sore on her tummy that was really small I was looking at her tummy today and the sore is the size of a nickle She possibly has adrenal disease since she has hair loss on her tail and she is really thin. could this be a sign of adrenal? or something else? it does not seem to be bothering her though. any thoughts on what this is?
weeksl08

• Total Posts : 897
RE: sore on ferret tummy - Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:14 PM
Can we see a picture of it? I don't know a whole lot about this sort of thing but I know other members might and a pic could help.

My name is Lesley and I am a ferret-aholic. I have been addicted to fuzzies since January 28, 0
saphire

RE: sore on ferret tummy - Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:47 PM
here is the sore on her tummy

[image]local://upfiles/2928/43FDEF27F46F4701B204715EA6E0DC89.jpg[/image]
<message edited by saphire on Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:50 PM>
Attached Image(s)
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: sore on ferret tummy - Monday, September 01, 2008 1:11 AM
oh thats really bad- it looks infected,three months old? Hmm...Id definately definately take her to the vet,that could get worse.You also run the risk of a fly laying eggs in that hole. the sore itself may be just a normal injury but there is a reason it hasnt healed by now you need to find out what wrong and whats is causeing her to not heal.I adopted a cat that was missing most of his tail once they thought kids had done something to him anyhow i took him to the vet figuring Id have to have the rest of the tail removed and found out he had feline leukimia (spelled that wrong) thats why it hadnt healed.I had to have him put to sleep, becasue they said it was infected and would never heal and I couldnt let him around other cats or he could spread it,I was rescuing cats at the time and had a ton of them and nowhere for him to go nobody wanted him and I didnt want any other cat to catch it.
<message edited by christy on Monday, September 01, 2008 1:16 AM>
saphire

RE: sore on ferret tummy - Monday, September 01, 2008 1:44 AM
I am going to make an appt as soon as i can payday isn't until Wednesday. and my little girl has more wrong with her. Her is a list of her symptoms
1. the sore
2 fells like a lump of some kind on the other side of her tummy (inside)
3. very sleepy
4. very skinny
5. hair loss on the underside of her tail
6. i just noticed another sore on her thigh ( not big like this one)
7. hair on her whole body is very thin not balding but thin

I feel like I am a bad ferrent for not being able to take her in right away. I was also told that she has some signs of lymphoma and adrenal disease. But i will take her in i am going to make an appt Monday. 

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
RE: sore on ferret tummy - Monday, September 01, 2008 8:35 AM
the bumps looks like a mast cell tumor to me.  99% if the time they aren't malignant.

Three of mine have these tumors, we spray 100% aloe vera on them once or twice a day, and it stops the itchiness and therefore they don't scratch it.  Scratching it makes to get red and bleed and it could get infected.

The loss of hair could be adrenal.
the lethargy and loss of weight could be insulinoma, old age, poor nutrition, or just simply old age.
<message edited by Snapper13 on Monday, September 01, 2008 8:37 AM>
saphire

RE: sore on ferret tummy - Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:59 PM
the sore on her tummy has finally gone away. I cleaned it everyday and it is completely gone now. as for nutrition I feed 8 in 1 ultimate and Zupreem mixed. I give N- Bones and now duck soup for treats. They also get fresh water and food daily. She (Panda) has a vet appointment on the 12th. Which I am going to talk to the vet about the sore. She is also displaying more signs of adrenal disease so I am 99% sure that is what is wrong with her. What are my options if she has adrenal? 
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
RE: sore on ferret tummy - Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:28 PM
Mast cell tumor will come and go.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
RE: sore on ferret tummy - Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:50 PM
I bet the sore was a mast cell tumor - they will come and go.

As for options for addrenal, you can do surgery, luron, or melatonin, or a combination of them.  I have mine on lupron.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread