Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 summer time shave
wigrl9484

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
summer time shave - Monday, July 28, 2008 9:52 PM
I was curious if anyone else has ever shaved down their ferrets in the summer to help take off the winter coat. I know this may sound kinda weird, but I'm just trying to plan ahead for the up-to-come summer (even though this one isn't even over yet.)  Let me know what you guys know and if you would maybe have any pictures, etc.
Findunk

• Total Posts : 540
RE: summer time shave - Monday, July 28, 2008 10:17 PM
I dont mean to be rude.. but what made you even consider this?  Shaving a ferret is about as silly as shaving a natural coated dog (ex, Chow Chow, Lab or German Shepherd) only sillier.. A ferret will naturally shed its coat or if for some reason you feel you need to help with a grooming tool called "The Furminator", a very fine tooth comb or a slicker brush you probubly could.  Shaving a natural coat will damage the coat permenently.  A ferrets coat thickens to warm in the winter and sheds to cools in the summer.  Unless your ferret is not sheding and is matting (which I do not belive is even possible) there is no reason even to spend much time grooming your ferret at all.  Shaving does NOT remove undercoat!  It simply shortens the healthy hair that protects your ferret.  IMO the only reason you should ever take a clipper near a ferret is at the vet to assist in drawing blood for medical reasons or to prepare a surgical site.  If your fert is not sheding properly or sheding more than normal this could be due to a medical condition and maybe a vet visit is in order? 
<message edited by Findunk on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:34 AM>
Owned by Duncan, Finnigan, Annabella, Chuy and our English Bull Terrier Miles.. And Meeko!

Two unaltered boys... oh my! Four little M&M's are going soon! LOL
Tsvetkova

• Total Posts : 352
RE: summer time shave - Monday, July 28, 2008 10:28 PM
omg, could you imagine try to shave a ferret O_o ...talk about a challenge
~*~Tsvetkova~*~
Jaycee

• Total Posts : 774
RE: summer time shave - Monday, July 28, 2008 10:33 PM
........plus, there would be no way to keep a ferret still long enough!

My two newest fuzzies: Mia and Watson (not pictured)
Forever in my heart: Whisp

Saving the world, one ferret at a time!
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: summer time shave - Monday, July 28, 2008 10:40 PM
with all the hair flying around my house ill shave every one of mine one day.Ill do it!!!!
No seriously someone else on the forum shaved their 2 and it looked fine-Believe me as out spoken as I am I would tell you if it looked stupid.I would be afraid the gaurd hairs wouldnt grow back in the right color when people want to shave their dog at work I try to talk them out of it if I can but sometimes you have those people that wont brush their shih-zu and they have to get shaved.and they have a heart attack
Findunk

• Total Posts : 540
RE: summer time shave - Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:26 AM
LOL Christy!  If they want a Shih Tzu shaved I will take a 3 or 4 to his back and leave legs and shirt 1/4'.  Its the people that insist their golden retriever is sweating because his hair is too long Undercoat? Furminate a garbage bag full of hair out of him and they think you took him down... LOL !  I wont shave a natural coat.. I send them else where!
Owned by Duncan, Finnigan, Annabella, Chuy and our English Bull Terrier Miles.. And Meeko!

Two unaltered boys... oh my! Four little M&M's are going soon! LOL
nylorac_4

• Total Posts : 151
RE: summer time shave - Monday, August 04, 2008 5:47 PM
Um, I would not suggest shaving your ferret...I know in dogs there is this thing called Alopecia (? or something like that)  I had a sheltie/ American eskimo mix dog and she was the fluffiest thing ever, she just looked like a giant black and white fuzzball with a head gliding around cause you could barely see her feet, but I talked to my vet about shaving her and he said that that would be a bad idea because of alopecia, he said once I shaved her her fur would not grow back properly it would grow back unevenly and could cause some problems with he undercoat coming in as well.

I don't know if that is an issue with ferrets though.

but this made me laugh because I imagined trieing to shave my ferrets and there is no way!  They would win, I think all three of them might gang up on me and beat me up lol.
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: summer time shave - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:35 PM
we have doggs shaved down all the time It doesnt bother me because i live in florida I even shave my own dog sometimes but she is smooth coated.I dont think I have seen a dog with a normal coat around here in a looong time I see labs, goldens and yourkies shaved down the most.we dont do chows much at work our groomer doesn't like them much.but I dont know if you could shave the average ferret without a world of trouble.
xvelvetfuzzbuttx

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: summer time shave - Friday, August 08, 2008 7:13 PM
its not a matter of looking stupid- the reasoning people seem to have is stupid.

The ONLY dogs that should be shaved are ones that continue to grow out long hair, poodles, schnauzers, yorkshire terriers..etc. Labs, Malamutes, Huskies..etc should never be shaved. They have their coats for a reason.  The people I see with shaved northern breeds out in the sun or in their yards just irritate me- the dogs will be much hotter without their coat. A dogs coat, especially norther breeds, serve a purpose of insulation. Be it from the heat or cold they should have their coats. Extra brushing and helping them blow it in the summer is fine and not harmful.

A ferret will lose their winter coat (its August and MOST ferrets haven't had one for months) naturally, just like winter weight. If your ferrets are in a warmer climate vs. a colder climate in winter you might not even see a real noticable change. Leave the ferret be.

lunarnoodle

• Total Posts : 267
RE: summer time shave - Monday, August 11, 2008 12:37 AM
wait... Who would shave a lab?
They.. have hardly any hair to begin with. That's like.. about as short and smooth as it gets. You don't even have to comb them. There's nothing to tangle. It's like wash-n-go. Huskies, I can see where people could look at the dog and think "it's too fluffy for the heat", but Labs?

Actually, other than nail trimming, I do very little actual grooming for my guys. I only bathe them when they get dirty and I know they shed because there is hair on their fleece bedding when I pull it for washing, but it's not significant enough for me to break out a brush for. Not like the cats where I comb or I get handfuls of the stuff when I pet them.

I can't even begin to imagine shaving one of them. Logistically, stylisticly or otherwise. Seems like I'd end up with one pissed off, ugly ferret.
Mimzy08

• Total Posts : 351
RE: summer time shave - Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:39 AM
People shave their long hair cats down here in Florida during the summer, but I have never heard of any one shaving their ferrets.
wigrl9484

• Total Posts : 39
RE: summer time shave - Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses on this topic!! I just thought I would get an idea of if anyone else has ever done and/or seen this before. I myself have recently become a dog groomer, and we were questioning why someone today wanted their very short haired lab shaved. Oh well I guess. Not our dog, so we can't tell them no if it's really what they want. Thanks again!!
JosiesMom

• Total Posts : 34
RE: summer time shave - Monday, September 01, 2008 3:55 PM

ORIGINAL: wigrl9484

Thanks for all the responses on this topic!! I just thought I would get an idea of if anyone else has ever done and/or seen this before. I myself have recently become a dog groomer, and we were questioning why someone today wanted their very short haired lab shaved. Oh well I guess. Not our dog, so we can't tell them no if it's really what they want. Thanks again!!

Actually you can and SHOULD tell them politely , "No, shaving your dog will deprive it of the protction it has evolved to keep it safe from the environment." Consider that dogs descend from wolves, Labs have a coat far removed from a wolf's double coat and you don't see wolves showing up at the local groomer requesting a shave do you? The Lab's coat is shorter, smoother and probably not as dense as a wolf's, there is no long undercoat. Shaving the outer hairs then will expose the skin to harmful UV rays from the sun and create health problems for your dog. IF kept outdoors, as most of these larger dogs are, there will be not coat to keep the blood sucking bugs from getting to the dog, there will be no coat to properly shed water nor insulate the cold wet dog during rainstorms!

Dogs do not sweat theough their skin, so there is no advantage to shaving the coat, unless to remove severe matting from an already neglected animal.

When an animal is brought to a groomer for care, the groomer SHOULD inform the owner what harm will and can befall the animal when its natural defenses against the elements are removed!

Accepting and doing what the owner wants done just because they are the owner is only showing that the only reason for the business is NOT the benefit of the animal, but instead the benefit of fattening your wallet!

Groom the dog properly, bathe it, brush it and strip out the under coat that hasn't shed yet, but for god's sake don't shave it just because the owenr wants it shaved! And have the integrity to tell the owner they are wrong for requesting such a poor action!

If you do it nicely, with tact and offer them plausible reasons, they will understand and thank you.

As for shaving a ferret.... are you out of your mind? Have you seen how pathetic an adrenal ferret looks - bereft of its coat? And you might consider deliberately doing this to a ferret? Just because you live in Florida- does NOT automatically mean the animals need to be shaved! Animals have been living in the tropics with fur coats for eons. Granted ferrets are pretty much northern animals, but as long as you keep them in a cooler environement, this is NOT a problem for them. Ferrets, like dogs do not have sweat glands in their skin and only sweat if they have to, from their paw pads and as they pant. But a word to the unwise:
A panting ferret is ALREADY in severe distress! Don't let your ferret get overheated to the point of panting! Keep a couple frozen water bottles handy wrapped in a towel if the ferret has to go outdoors in the heat. Keep them hydrated constantly and cooled constantly.IF the temp is 80 f. or above, do NOT bring the ferret outdoors! But don't shave the poor thing!

Cheers,
Kim
crazkoala00

• Total Posts : 130
RE: summer time shave - Monday, September 01, 2008 6:23 PM
hmmm... i don't really know WHY you would want to shave a ferret (it would look just plain silly) but you shouldn't do it regardless of the reason. If you shave, there is a very distinct possibility of your ferret having bald patches for the rest of its life. If youre worried about fur getting everywhere during the shedding season, brushing a ferret will help remove the loose stuff and keep the coat nice and shiny. When a ferret sheds it doesn't lose all of its fur, it only thins SOME of it. The ferret is thinking, "Hm. its getting toasty out, better lose half of the fluffy stuff." or "Hm. its getting cold. Need to double layer." Your fuzzy sheds on its own just fine--if you "help" him by shaving, it'll only do damage.

brushing keeps the fluff from the floor . + you and your ferret will enjoy the activity 
!!.amber---->

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message