Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 I need help determining my ferrets health
hastetheday89905

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
I need help determining my ferrets health - Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:23 PM
I brought home my little guy about 45 days or so and he's been doing great up until the past 48 hours I've noticed he's doing a lot of sleeping and doesn't seem interested in playing. Sometimes he itches random spots all over his body but I haven't noticed any fleas. Today I noticed his stool seems thinner not quite stringy but not quite normal either. And he's been doing a lot of laying his body down after he moves to a new spot. He has access to food and water 24/7 and is still eating and drinking, maybe not quite as much but its hard to tell. I don't want to take him to the vet if it's just a fluke and end up spending $250 or so on nothing, but I obviously don't want him to be harmed either. So that's why I wanted to get some help from someone more knowledgeable on the subject before running to the vet.
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:24 PM
I also should have probably added that he is a marshall ferret and his diet has remained consistent of marshall ferret diet brand food
wenmister
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Sunday, April 23, 2017 8:00 AM
Member in blocked list
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:53 AM

How old is your ferret.  Kits are pretty active when you let them out of the cage

I got him from Petco and they didnt give me an exact age my guess is hes around 10 months with how big he is. Another question I have its Sunday so there's no open vets in my area, if I just bought this ferret less then 2 months ago and I end up taking him to the vet and he's sick is there any chance at all that petco would redeem the vet fee's? I've had him for maybe 45 days so it has me wondering if they possibly knew he was on his way to getting ill when I got him.
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:43 PM
also it is not a so so new environment since he usually just gets to explore my 10x12 room and he's had a good 45 days to get to know it all. Ofcourse sometimes I'll let him venture off with me out the room to the bathroom to get his water bowl filled or maybe even downstairs but then he gets distracted by all the stuff and will get lost for a little while if I let him do that freely with all the Merch and stuff my brother keeps on the main floor. Also I've tried to take him outside on a leash and harness about a week ago but he definitely was not feeling his harness at all. Every time I'd go to try and get the first latch around his neck he wouldn't like it and would struggle (I definitely wasn't going too tight because he can even wiggle his head out of the smaller one then tries to back his way out of the next latch since it's bigger then the neck latch. I want to get him to explore outside more because I think it would be good for him and that he would enjoy it but with him hating the harness' I got him (same brand and style just 2 different sizes) idk how to go about it.
wenmister
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 10:44 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 10:45 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 10:46 AM
Member in blocked list
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 4:10 PM
I just got back from the vet and he has a cold... His temp is 101 and I was told how that's usually a sign that they're not fighting off whatever they have (vet thinks its a virus). All he did was give me GI support past and told me to keep him warm and try giving him chicken broth with honey. Idk what to do right now, I'm pretty upset I need some advice...
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 4:13 PM
I live with my brother and he's in a big band so I can't make him find a new place to put all his merch on the main floor because I got a ferret. My room has all kinds of places for him to crawl and clothes for him to crawl into, and he never seemed bored. After going to the vet I'm fairly certain things took a turn for the worse some how (he hasnt been around any other animals).
hastetheday89905

Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Monday, April 24, 2017 5:52 PM
So as of right now I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I got him to eat close to 1/3 of the mixture I made after our trip to the vet (6-8 fl oz no sodium chicken broth, 1 tbl spoon natural honey, and between 12-15cc of the GI support paste). Now I have a question I'm sure I will get some hate for asking but I'm asking this because I want my ferret to be as comfortable as possible (especially if the worst comes). So if he gets to the point where he looks like he's on his last day or few hours would getting him stoned help him relax? Please refrain from attacking me for that question or any hateful responses... I just want to do everything I can for him. I know that right now we're not at that point, my minds been racing with all kinds of things and tbh in my head once he told me what was going on I have not been optomistic but I'm going to be there with him the whole time and make sure if this is his end time that he gets all the love, attention, and anything else that would help him pass comfortably. Thanks for the help...
Frolicking Ferrets

• Total Posts : 24
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:44 AM
I don't think your vet is a very good one from the advice they've given you. Because ferrets can't get colds from humans, they can however get the influenza virus from us which can be treated with antibiotics.
Honey should only really be used if he has low blood sugar due to insulinoma. Otherwise the sugar in the honey could cause him to have insulinoma.
His body temperature would have risen to help his body fight the virus, like with us, a ferret's body will increase its temperature to try and kill a virus.

Bit of an odd theory to get a ferret stoned to help them relax, I don't think it would help him relax, it might actually freak him out making him more stressed. A sleeping tablet would possibly work.
wenmister
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:27 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:38 PM
Member in blocked list
Texasy

• Total Posts : 40
Re:I need help determining my ferrets health - Thursday, November 05, 2020 12:35 AM
The thing is that I didn’t know anything about proper nutrition back then. Besides, I didn’t eat much and moved a lot. So my body was never big. But in my freshman year, I became interested in bodybuilding competitions. Therefore, it was just necessary to get acquainted with the ways to increase the relief of the body https://realweighttraining.com/motivational-power-deadlift-video-from-natural-champion-bodybuilder-doug-miller

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread