Help! Adopted a one year old and want to make sure she's healthy!

Lmehrl
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Help! Adopted a one year old and want to make sure she's healthy! - Monday, April 17, 2017 12:41 AM
Hello! We decided we wanted to get a ferret and then after some bad experiences recently with our local large chain pet store I was a little hesitant to get one from there. We found a couple looking to get rid of their one year old female because she required so much attention and they didn't have the time to give it to her so she was stuck in her cage most all of the time. 

She's super sweet and she appears healthy but as I've been reading to help ensure she's healthy it seems there's a lot they've been doing that may not have been so good for her. I will be taking her to the vet this week for a formal check up. But had some questions now until she can get in. 

Litter: they are using clumping cat litter...will it be hard for me to transition her over to plant based litter? And looking at the trays in her cage I don't think she was very well trained anyhow so will be looking for tips on that!! Hoping it will go ok given she's a lil older.

Diet: they feed her a dry kibble which seemed to be reasonable and mostly protein and fat based but then they said she loves sweets and they give her things like strawberry jelly and other treats. When we came to get her she was shaking which I thought was because she was maybe frightenened or excited to be outside, but now I'm worried it could've been low sugar (though we took her home with us 45 min drive and she played long before eating once we did get her home so I would think if low sugar the shaking would've continued until she got food!) anyways I'd like to start transitioning her to a natural meat diet, and wondered if anyone had tips. 

My daughter just recently lost her bearded dragon probably from her being sold way too young per our vets concern and her getting an infection and too young to fight it off. She's instantly bonded with our furry friend so really want to do everything possible to assure she's healthy! 

wenmister
Re:Help! Adopted a one year old and want to make sure she's healthy! - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:42 AM
Member in blocked list

bandit99
Re:Help! Adopted a one year old and want to make sure she's healthy! - Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:12 AM
Member in blocked list