Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
managing Insulinoma?
zemie

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
managing Insulinoma? - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:50 PM
My poor little ratboy was diagnosed with insulinoma last saturday and since then he has been very lethargic. I know this is part of the disease, but I saw him april 30th when I was home from college for a weekend, and he seemed fine. Last saturday was the first I had seen him and he had lost a lot of weight and was twitching and seemed really out of it, but luckily we could get him to an exotic vet right that day. I'm so surprised about this, he never got any bad sugary foods as treats (although he would steal cat or dog food on occasion), he's always eaten evo which is supposed to be super good and he's only just turned 5 :( and it was on his birthday too this all happened too! terrible!
Duncan (my ferret) had to stay with my grandma for 8 months while I was at college and now my mom is being terrible and won't let me bring him home so I feel bad I can't watch him all the time and I want to be with him for what time he has left :( I've been trying to visit him at least twice a day and I'm gonna fight my mom about this so wish me luck
I heard orijen cat food is very good so I'm going to try to start mixing that with his evo. He hasn't been wanting to eat lately and I think he's dehydrated as well, but the vet gave us carnivore care which he loves to eat so we've been using that to try and get him fluids as well as calories
(sorry this is so much rambling Ill get to the point) 

But yeah so my question is for you guys with babies with insulinoma, is this lethargy going to stay or will he get better with the medication? He's on the lowest starting dose (0.2ml) of prednisone so maybe his is more advanced, or it is just taking a while to work.
sometimes I worry he is having a low blood sugar episode because he seems really zoned out, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give him something to raise his blood sugar then or if that is only for full on seizures? I've been trying to get him to eat if he seems like this 
He doesnt seem himself at all, he doesnt want to play or interact with me or the other animals, when we let him out he wanders around for about 10 minutes and then goes to sleep somewhere. Is this normal behavior for older (5yo) ferrets or a part of insulinoma?  
He breaths very hard and fast when he's asleep too, and makes small noises, is this related? He has another vet appointment on friday so I'm going to ask about this as well as these other things

<message edited by zemie on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:05 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message