Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 So, about euthanasia...
mary99

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
So, about euthanasia... - Friday, January 08, 2016 10:37 AM
My last ferret is approaching 7 and I think is sick.  I'm preparing myself for the worst, though we haven't been to the vet yet.  I'll take him next week if he hasn't turned around.  I'm spending hundreds a month on vet care for my really old dogs at the moment and I don't foresee me taking extreme measures for the ferret, though I love him and want his remaining time to be comfortable.  I don't fear the death of my pets so much as I fear them suffering and me being powerless to help.  So usually when my pets appear to be suffering and the vets say there's not much left to do, I opt for euthanasia.  

I'm just curious where others stand on it.  Do you think it's more humane to let them expire at home (with vet care, of course), if they're not really in agony?  I think my sister thinks I turn to euthanasia too soon sometimes, though the pets are always elderly, ill, I've spent a bunch on vets and I'm near the end of my rope when I do make the decision.  I've only let one pet die at home, a hamster, and that was kind of awful.  

I haven't given up on the ferret, either.  He's only seemed sick a few days, though he's had a balding back for a few months.  He has only seemed to eat, drink and cuddle less the last few days.  He feels a little warm and is sleeping more.  I started adding melatonin to his soup about a week ago but he started shunning it so I tasted the melatonin and it's gross.  It's liquid and I assumed tasteless but no- it's got alcohol, sweeteners and citrus flavoring.  I'll pick up some pills to crush today to use instead.  This morning he made a little cry while pooping and his poop was an off color and texture-- loose and grainy and a little green.  Last night when I put him in his cage he drank for the longest time, though he always has water handy.  I've never seen him guzzle water like that.  Maybe it was the little bit of gross melatonin/chicken soup but he ate it the first few days.  He's been eating DFS kibble plus soup (chicken only, daily) for many years, with Ferretone as a daily treat.  

Thanks for your thoughts on any of this!  You've been so helpful in the past with our ferret health dilemmas and I respect your opinions.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread