Day 1 - Kit meets hob! Advice needed!

Teasle
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Day 1 - Kit meets hob! Advice needed! - Friday, July 17, 2015 6:58 PM
Myself and my partner adopted a rescue ferret in March 2014, his name is Pepy, he is around 5-6 years old, very calm and friendly and smaller than your average hob. Pepy has a heart problem and has not quite seemed himself despite getting better through daily medication.
We thought we would pick up a playmate for him to keep him company, so today we have picked up an 8-week old albino ferret, he is smitten with her and instantly began to groom her and follow her around.

Now I have a few questions with relation to behaviour and training, if anyone could help us out it would be most appreciated!

1) Pepy has not been too rough on the little jill, however she has sore skin on the back of her neck from where her father tried to mate with her upon their meeting, dragging her around and hurting her neck. You can tell that when they scrap Pepy is being gentle and playful however she has been screeching, rolling around and defecating/skunking. This is not only when he is touching her, even if he is nearby. Could this behaviour have come from fear of older males from her past experience, or is she just scared of him/too small or young for this? Does anyone have any tips on introducing ferrets or bonding activities?

2) She will hiss at Pepy if he is nearby, even if her is not paying him attention. She will also hiss at us if she has been worked up in any way, she also continues to hiss while walking around normally.

3) She will not stop biting our feet, even if we are wearing shoes and scruffing her or hissing doesn't seem to work. Any tips?
4) In your opinions, what is the best way to train a baby ferret not to bite?

Thank you!

wenmister
Re:Day 1 - Kit meets hob! Advice needed! - Saturday, July 18, 2015 7:50 AM
Member in blocked list