Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do!
tmg1993

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:04 PM
Hello

About 2 months ago my ferret Tyrion became very ill.  I researched the internet and all signs pointed towards insulinoma.  I thought it was odd because he was only 6ish months old.  Took him to the vet and it was a respiratory infection; got some meds, having to upgrade later to a stronger anti-biotic (baytril).  Anyways...I didn't notice his appetite going away until it was almost too late.  I feel really bad for not doing something about it earlier.  Ever since about a month ago, he has hardly been able to move or do any fun things normal ferrets do.  He poops himself because he cannot gather the energy to even use the litter box.

About a week and a half ago I started feeding him FerretVite as his main source of nutrition.  I figured he would gain some weight since it's high calorie.  He was 1 lb 12 ozs last week and just under that this week.

I am lost at this point.  I would do anything to get my little guy okay again.  I don't see how he has yet to gain a single oz since I began using FerretVite.  I just opened my third bottle of FerretVite.  I leave softened ferret kibble in the cage as well in case he doesn't have the energy to chew the hard kibble, but he ignores it.  He will only eat babyfood if I slowly syringe it into his mouth, but even then I feel like I would have to feed him a ton of that just to get the bare minimum calories. 

edit: I asked Petco employees (no on there seemed to know much about ferrets heatlh) and they said unflavored Pedialyte is good to mix in their water to help them keep hydrated.  I do that as well.

It's so sad to see him sit there helpless all day.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Tanner

<message edited by tmg1993 on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:35 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages