Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret
LuLu Rad

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:37 AM
We rescued 3 fuzz butt in August last year (when I say rescue I mean found them on craigslist and met these people at their house; once inside the house it was a filthy disaster and reminded me of an episode of hoarders meets tweeker) 2 young ferrets (1 boy 1 girl approximately a year old) and an older ferret that they claimed to be around 4 (he had lost most of his hair) we took them home and bathed them they all had fleas. We have a dog, 2 cats, and 2 rabbits and never seen fleas like they had :( .... we immediately separated the older ferret from the 2 younger ones it was evident something happened to him on top of the hair loss he can't walk that great. We started him on straight ferret food, melatonin, and vitamins. He florished wonderfully. April 10th came and he went down hill wouldn't eat or drink, no pottying, and could only get him to eat duck soup and ferretvite until I got him into the vet on the 13th. Turns out he had 2 teeth that needed pulled badly, was give SubQ for slight dehydration, and a shot of antibiotics that would last 2 weeks. Since then he has been a whole new ferret! HERE IS THE ISSUE IM HAVING NOW: Today marks 3 days after the 2 week period of antibiotics and he's back to doing the same thing. Not eating or drinking, peeing but only one bowel movement in 24 hours but when let out of his cage he is a happy go lucky ferret that doesn't show any sign of being sick. I was told by the vet on the 13th that he is VERY old and most likely has arthritis at this point in his age. I would like to know what everyone's opinion is. Do I bite the bullet and take him and do the complete blood count for $150 and hope he doesn't pass away on me afterwards or do I continue with the duck soup and let him live out his days as a happy little ferret that he seems to be? The recipe I'm using for the soup does have his kibble in it! 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread