Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Insulinoma Help
Arohk

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
Insulinoma Help - Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:57 PM
Hello. Been a long time since I posted.

About 5 days ago, I had the misfortune of having my baby diagnosed with Insulinoma and I am very scared and nervous. Before you ask, yes, I have read the other threads. It just doesn't help me as much because it's not specific to my boy. Since every ferret is different, it would really help me if I had a thread of my own to track and some sound advice.

I noticed that my ferret Loki was a little sleepier than normal and absolutely did not want to play. That alone didn't alarm me, but his bag leg would slip even on the carpet, and he was standing still one time and his hind end just flopped to the side. I immediately got him into the vet the next day. She confirmed that it was Insulinoma from his blood sugar level. It was at a terrible 1.3. However, the good news is that I caught it in it's earliest stage. My vet said she had never seen it caught so early before, so that gives me hope.

She prescribed him a daily dose of Prednisone, which I give him at noon. Normally he is fine in the morning and towards the night he's a little more tired. With ample sleep during the day, of course. He is age 4 and is in otherwise perfect condition. He had a full physical while we were at it and is very healthy.

He has improved drastically from that day and has even been better than normal. However, there have been low points too where I am really scared for him. It has never gotten to the point of seizures, not being able to wake him up or anything to the severe scale. But I don't want it to get there.

My current problem is that he absolutely does not want to eat his normal food. Obviously I can't let this go because he needs the protein. So I have been balancing it with some high protein treats that he likes and feeding him those sticks that he always wants. The other night I couldn't even get him to eat treats and he didn't want to be awake more than 5 minutes. After sleeping for 8 hours, I knew he needed something. He was a little wobbly. So I gave him a couple licks of grape juice in a cap and it helped. But he can't live on that. That's only for emergencies.

His poop has been fine. A good consistency, though a little lighter in color. Probably because the stubborn little fuzz won't eat normally. But that worries me, you know? He just went to sleep after about 50 minutes of wandering and playing with me. He was bright and seemed fine. But the poop he had while he was awake was a bit small. Not any different, but there was a slight watery texture at the very end of it. Not too much, but I also am concerned for that.

Loki has always been extremely picky about what he eats. He doesn't like chicken, raw or cooked. And he doesn't like eggs in any form. He also hates duck soup or anything with a slightly slimy/wet texture. So it's hard to get him to cooperate. It wasn't a problem until now.

I really would like some advice as to what I can do. I've been managing pretty well so far. But I am just so scared. He's my baby. I've had him since he was 3 weeks old and I love him more than anything in my life. I hate seeing him this way, even though his symptoms are on the more mild side and I am just extremely protective.

I was so devastated a few days ago. I keep reminding myself that there is hope and I just really want him to live a normal life. I would do anything. I have read everything that I could on the matter. I am just so scared that our time together could be cut short. He means the world to me. My poor baby.

Any extra tips or advice that you could spare would be so very appreciated. I know Loki will be happy for the help too. I thank every star in the sky that I caught it so early. I just know my baby and I know when he isn't feeling well. Please help if you can, even if it's just reassurance. Whatever information or love you can send will be taken to heart.

What will help him? What can I do more for him? Am I doing the right things? Tell me if you can. Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and care.
<message edited by Arohk on Monday, March 30, 2015 10:17 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message