Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New owner questions
MrCat

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
New owner questions - Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:11 AM
Hi folks, I just got my first ferret today, she's a rescue ferret from the SPCA and is one year old. When I went to collect her just today they said at the rescue centre 'Ahhh you're lucky to have such a nice ferret, she's totally sweet and not nippy at all'. So I have brought her home and just introduced hetr to her new extra large cage she has now run aropund several times loking for the best exit and having a general explore. I have a few questions: When should I start handling her? She seems fine with being picked up, so far I've only picked her up to take her out of the travel case and into the cage and she was fine with that. I opened the door just now tho and offered her my hands to smell and she took a few fairly firm nibbles, not fully 'teeh in' but definately firm enough to make me think twice and shut the door again! She's had but a half hour or so to settle in and explore the new cage tho so I guess that's kind of normal but would like to hear your thoughts on the matter! I've heard it's good to get them out in a room with you so that you can get introduced in a kind of mutual space? The second question is toilet training, she's had none so far and never used a litter tray. I have one on the bottom level of her cage but the moment she got in the cage she went and had a piss in the corner of the mid level on top of a litle straw/grass house thing I'd got from the pet shop. I'm wondering if I should move the litter tray there now but she's since explored the litter tray and likes just diging in it :) ...any helpful hints? I guess I should go on youtube for more info as there's a wealth of vids I've found on all sorts but I do love a good forum and would love to hear anything anyone has to say on the above. I'm sure I've plenty more questions but that'll do for now I think. Cheers folks.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread