Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Biting Ferret
Chloé

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Biting Ferret - Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:23 PM
Hello everyone :) I'm new to this forum, and a first time ferret owner, and am pleased to have found a place where there seems to be no end of helpful people! A little about me and my new friend: I'm 22,have lived in France for 11 years and am a student in musicologie in a large town called Poitiers where I have lived for almost 4 years. I have wanted a ferret since I was about 12, but my parents were dead against it. For the first 2 years in my own place I had 2 rats, the best pets to date that I had had (hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs..), but still I was longing for my own ferret. And today, after years of waiting, and especially thanks to a lady who ended up with babies that she wasn't planning on having, my wish came true. I have named him Casper, due to him being an albino and mainly that I am lacking in imagination. He is certainly a curious little fellow, when we went to collect him, as soon as the cage door was opened he threw himself out and was desperate to get down and run around. He's 6 months old, and also extremely excitable, within minutes of being let out of his cage in his new home he was hopping around and making little squeaking/grunting noises. From the research that I did before I decided to take him I understand that this is a good thing and simply means that he is happy? The problem : I currently have savlon cream smothered all over my hands due to small yet very painful puncture wounds. I know that it is probably because it is early, I met him approximatly 5 hours ago and took him away from his family and everything he knows, stuck him in a cage and then in a car for an hour and a half so I'm bound to not be his favourite person at the moment. However its not because I picked him up, I decided to let him explore first and let him make the desicion as to when he was willing to allow himself be picked up/ stroked and approach me. He came running over to me fairly soon, and immediatly threw himself onto my hand and sank those sharp little gnashers in. I think he was meaning only to play, as he was making a squeaking sound at the same time and rolling onto his back. I did have to rescue him from a bag at one point (of course he managed to find the one bag in which a bag of ferret treats was stored) and it was at this point that he really latched on and refused to let go, drawing blood and, as I have ridiculously fragile skin, giving me a fairly impressive bruise. I'm guessing that it is the time that he adapts, but I would like to know if there is any way to nip (haha!) this problem in the bud before it becomes to much of a habit? Thank you those who have been brave enough to read this all the way through, and thanking in advance for any helpful advice and tips (not necessarily related to biting) that anyone would be willing to share so as to help my new friend settle in and be a happy ferret!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread