Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
my ferret has insulinoma
Shelleygage

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
my ferret has insulinoma - Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:13 PM
my ferret has insulinoma. my vet has me treating him with pred twice a day. he has been on this treatment for months and doing ok as long as he eats enough. his appetite is good and he has gained a lot of weight. all sugar is eliminated for the last year. he eats marshall farms dry and duck soup daily. treats are chicken liver, no sugar.  all has been fine until today. he had his medicine and ate a bowl of duck soup. i went to check on him later and he was in his bed but his lips were curled back, he was drooling and making weird hissing noises. he was not moving other than an occasional twitch. i laid him in my lap and put nutrical on his gums and in his mouth and waited. nothing happened. this was different than any other time his blood sugar was low. i guessed it was a seizure because of the involuntary movement and the stoned look. call ahead and immediately took him to the vet. they immediately tried the same thing i did only getting sugar and nutrients into him with a tube. he had stopped the lip curling on the way to the vet. nothing happened. we waited and gave him more nutrients. nothing happened. hour or more later he slowly came around. he is still at the vet for observation and care. will get him back tomorrow unless there is another episode. my questions are: why did he have the seizure? he had had his medication and high protein meal an hour before. he had never had a seizure before. i dont like feeling helpless. how am i supposed to manage this and maintain his quality of life? thanks in advance for any help.
Shelley

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message