Hello! I'm new here!

CMalak04
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
Hello! I'm new here! - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:24 AM
I just wanted to drop in and say hello!  I'm new to the forum and look forward to meeting everyone and jumping into discussions.

My name is Connie.  I'm 28 and from East Tennessee.  

Earlier this year my boyfriend Steven and I decided to adopt an adorable fuzzy little ferret from our local pet store.  Her name is Farrah and she was born on February 2, 2014.  She is a Marshall ferret, which at the time I had no idea various pros and cons....   It took Steven and I about a month to figure out Farrah is deaf.  We just thought she was just young and didn't want to pay attention to us because she'd rather just roam around.  We ended up Googling around about it and found out about the Waardenburg syndrome and how prominent it is in Marshall ferrets.  We are still learning ways to help train her since she cannot hear us.  If anyone has any tips or suggestions, please send them my way!!  

We didn't want Farrah to be alone, so we looked around into adopting another ferret.  We tried Craigslist and even Facebook, but when we took a trip to the same pet store one day we came across the cutest masked little boy.  He is also a Marshall ferret.  We asked to hold him and needless to say I fell in love when he crawled up my shirt and played in my hair.  His name is Boomer and he was born on March 2, 2014.  We know that he can hear well.  We were slightly hesitant to see how Farrah would react to a new friend.  They sniffed each other out and seemed to be playful with each other.  We did have a problem with Farrah playing too rough with Boomer and biting him hard, which caused him to actually sound like he was crying.  We know this was because Farrah was deaf and could not hear him yelling and crying at her.  We read that deaf ferrets play harder and rougher because they do not know that they conflict pain upon others since they cannot hear the yelps.

Recently they have been playing better and not near as rough.  Boomer has learned to hold his own with Farrah.  They are absolutely adorable when they jump around each other.  I spend time with them together and also occasionally spend one on one time with each of them.  They make me happy and I love my little furbabies.  <3

Here are some pictures of my little kiddos:

Farrah ^^

Boomer ^^

.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer

unclejoe
Re:Hello! I'm new here! - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:34 PM
Member in blocked list

CMalak04
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Hello! I'm new here! - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 2:55 PM
Aww!     Well thank you!  I will have to look into those links for sure!

Farrah is completely oblivious to the vacuum cleaner...  Boomer, on the other hand, knows and you can see the startled look on his face and just his overall reaction to it.  lol

I look forward to reading other folks stories and sharing some of my own.

.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer

unclejoe
Re:Hello! I'm new here! - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:04 PM
Member in blocked list

naturalbirdslove
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Hello! I'm new here! - Friday, July 13, 2018 6:44 AM

Lovely ferrets you have. You have to give them training that how to use the litter box, giving food training, etc. You have politely behaved to them. Definitely, they follow your instructions. disadvantages of owning a ferret is that they have strong odor and not to safe all childs, They are costly. Pros is that they are lovely, cute, playing pet. They are easily train, funny and sweet.