Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Whole Prey + Ground?
MayhemInc

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Whole Prey + Ground? - Friday, May 09, 2014 9:29 AM
Hello.  
Considering a raw diet, would like to go with primarily whole prey with some ground a few times a week.  (Ground for variety, and in case we need to leave them in the care of someone else temporarily, I don't think my sister could feed frozen mice.)  I think this would be simple enough for me to be sustainable long term.  I know myself and I can deal with complexity early on while things are novel but if I have to continue to do a lot of figuring or thinking, I fail.  I understand that I will pay more for this type of diet, than I would a frankenprey type.
If I feed primarily whole prey and whole ground animal, do I need to worry about balancing the diet in terms of bone/meat/organ?  I would need to make sure to get a variety of ages of prey correct?  How long would whole prey stay fresh in the freezer?  Should ferrets eat fish?  I would probably order prey from rodentpro and ground from mypetcarnivore, is there any animal I should avoid?

In terms of transition, I would probably start with the ground, should I then attempt to add bits of mice or would I need to do a frankenprey stage to get them eating chunks/bone etc?

(Side note, I know some will direct me to the Holistic Forum, I tried to join, but my account never got approved, maybe I missed a step?  Anyone who knows feel free to pm me.)
wenmister
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Friday, May 09, 2014 12:29 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Friday, May 09, 2014 12:33 PM
Member in blocked list
MayhemInc

Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Friday, May 09, 2014 6:25 PM
Thanks Wenmister!

Do you do a mix of kibbles?  Was considering Instinct as a mixer kibble if I don't start with the raw.  
wenmister
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:41 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:41 AM
Member in blocked list
MayhemInc

Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:01 AM
Interesting, thanks.  If I don't commit to the raw that's a decent option.  Was considering a)raw b) kibble + canned or c) kibble + raw.

Have you ever noticed trouble from mixing the two?  I have seen that can be an issue with tummy upset.  (Of course I watch the barn cats chow down on kibble all day and they're not afraid to dispatch whatever they catch so I wondered how much of an issue it really is.)
wenmister
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:11 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:34 PM
Member in blocked list
MayhemInc

Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:13 AM
Thank you both for your input!  Will keep your experiences in mind.
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Whole Prey + Ground? - Friday, July 18, 2014 1:54 PM
It might not be easy to notice but feeding raw and kibble at the same time can be very bad. If you get a bad piece of meat the ferret digestive system will push it out quickly but if they have kibble in there as well it will slow it down allowing the bad bacteria to make your fuzzy very ill. I suggest if you absolutely have to feed raw and kibble, feed kibble in the morning. Then take away the food and feed raw a minimum of four hours after taking the kibble away. You should never just leave food out. This is a common misconception. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread