Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New ferret owner, and she's really aggressive
Kaito

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
New ferret owner, and she's really aggressive - Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:22 AM
Hey everyone, I'm a new user and a new ferret owner.
I just got June about 2 days ago or so and she's way too aggressive its impossible to handle her. My guess is its most probably because of the way she was treated at the pet store(bad handling and little food etc).
At first i just placed my fist by her cage so that she'll smell my hand and get used to it, After sniffing my fist for a bit she ignored it and went around playing in a shirt i gave her.
So i got my fist into her cage but not towards her, like just there so that she knows i mean no harm however she instantly latched onto the pinkie side of my fist and wouldn't let go. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a nip or a normal bite but she drew blood so i got worried, i didn't pull out my hand though. I tried scruffing her with my free hand and she loosened up just enough for me to pull out my hand and then she tried to bite my other hand but i retreated fast enough so she wasn't able to.

We took her to the vet yesterday so that she gets her vaccinations and the instant he tried to get her out of her carrier she latched onto his finger and drew blood too, he had to use gloves for her check up.

But yeah, I need help in teaching her not to bite. I tried the hissing method but it doesn't phase her at all, I tried saying "No" firmly it worked for a bit but then she just ignores me and won't let go. Any tips from you guys on working with aggressive ferrets ? :(

Oh, I want to let her out of her cage too but i'm not sure if it's safe or not, we have a ferret-proof room in our house so i thought maybe i can let her out? Or is it not safe since she's not tame yet?

And another question about her litter(kind off topic i guess?), I got her cat litter that's clump free and 99% dust free but she sneezes when she goes towards it. Is that normal or should i take it away?

June is about 3 months old or so  Thanks in advance <3~

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message