Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Blind ferret???
saphire

• Total Posts : 814
  • Reward points : 0
Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:23 PM
How can you tell if a ferret has gone blind? Shayla has white patches in both her eyes and when I reach in the cage to pick her up even if she is facing me it startles her. Like she cant see me. I noticed it a couple months ago. She bumps into things too. So when I clean the cage and change bedding I always put the stuff back in the way it was so if she is blind she can find it.
Theophilus

• Total Posts : 86
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:11 PM
Haven't dealt with this before, so I'm not sure. 

I did find this article though when I wondered whether or not it could be something like cataracts -

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-dept/avian-exotic-dept/common-ferret-eye-problems.aspx
The_Jaybird

• Total Posts : 598
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:14 PM
Sounds like cataracts to me. I would take her to the vet, firstly for a diagnosis, and secondly because cataracts can sometimes be painful, but it likely isn't. If it is cataracts, she won't be totally blind, but her vision will be highly impaired. However, ferrets don't have very good eyesight anyway, and visually impaired ferrets do adapt quickly. If it is cataracts/she is visually impaired, which it sounds like she is, you're doing the right thing not changing her environment, talk to her and tap the floor around her before you pick her up and let her sniff you so she knows it's you before you pick her up :

saphire

• Total Posts : 814
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:40 PM
Thanks for the link. I never thought of cataracts but now that you mention it that is exactly what it looks like. I will call my vet and get her into see her asap.
The_Jaybird

• Total Posts : 598
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:37 PM
Good luck with her :)

Nuts&Volts

• Total Posts : 143
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:18 PM
My 8 year-old Gandalf (May he DIP!) had severe cataracts in both eyes for several years before he passed. They eventually rendered him essentially blind. He simply used his other senses to compensate. We treated the pain with medicated eye drops prescribed by our vet.
<message edited by Nuts&Volts on Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:15 PM>
Wiress ( aka "Nuts" ) & Beetee ( aka "Volts") ... AND, introducing our newest additition- Finnick Odair! 

*Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo Baggins* ... Mommy will love and miss you FOREVER!!

unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6456
Re:Blind ferret??? - Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:01 PM
She has glaucoma.  Moe had it when he got old.  It was amazing how he (and Kahlua) could navigate the house and almost never walk into walls, coffee tables, etc.  But with a place this small we never rearrange furniture.  When Moe went blind, he pretty much stopped using litter box or papers outside the cage, but he always used the box in the cage.  Kahlua is still very good with the papers, anyway.

DI

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message