Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HELP - Very sick ferret, possible heart failure
13ritnee

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
HELP - Very sick ferret, possible heart failure - Monday, December 17, 2012 4:18 AM
My little guy, Waffle is almost 5 years old and he's really sick. He seemed to be healthy up until Thursday 12/13. It all happened pretty fast. I recently noticed he either gained a lot of weight, or is retaining fluids somewhere. Waffle has always been a little bigger than the average ferret, but he doesn't normally look like this. He isn't eating that I know of, and he is drinking but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea because of other possible health concerns. He's really lethargic, not moving very much and he isn't acting himself. He stays on the top level of the cage where his bed is and won't move from it, not even down the stairs for water, I had to put some in little bowl. He seems to be in a heavy daze. For a while I caught him staring off into space. It's almost like he's become a rag-doll. 

I've been up all night researching, trying to find out what's wrong with him and I think his heart is failing. He also isn't breathing like he should be. I counted 18 breaths per minute and the average is around 36. 

I really don't know what to do. It's too late to take him to the vet (4:10 am) and I'm really concerned. My ferrets (I have 2) mean the world to me. I love them with all of my heart, and it's killing me to see him like this. 

If anyone could tell me if their ferret experienced something similar and what happened, it would be greatly appreciated. Any feedback really, please. 

If my buddy makes it through the night, I'll definitely take him to the vet. Until then all I can really do is cry. 

Please help my ferret 

-Britnee 
Alexxx

• Total Posts : 70
Re:HELP - Very sick ferret, possible heart failure - Monday, December 17, 2012 7:19 AM
I hope he made it through the night and that you're on your way to the vet :(

My experience with heart failure is different tho. With my munchkin is started out with coughing, then fluid build up in the tummy (it was big and hard) and then rapid breathing. At some point when the lasix wasn't doing it's job I counted 70 breaths per minute!

Keep us posted please!
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10181
Re:HELP - Very sick ferret, possible heart failure - Monday, December 17, 2012 8:26 AM
We had one experiencing those symptoms.  We took her to the emergency vet who put her into an oxygen tent.  We were also given meds to help relieve the water (pred, lasix, and something else).

How is your little one doing?
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:HELP - Very sick ferret, possible heart failure - Monday, December 17, 2012 7:38 PM
Do you have an update on your little one?

Fuzzbutts Rule!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message