Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him?
kkristens

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Friday, July 06, 2012 10:42 AM
I found my hob and other jill both with the  little strange rash on his chin and cheek,
but there was no any injuries or wound,or any  red spot,seems like allergies or sth else?

I took them to the vet on this Monday,the vet said its fine,and didnt provide me any medicine.
after few days pass,just yesterday,my jill was found dead when i got home at 10,still maintained the pose while she was sleeping,felt like she was pass away when she was sleeping.....im so sad,but to make sure her really dead ,I took her to the vet immediately,yes,she was gone.

I know maybe just me too suspicion,but  i really afraid its might be Canine distemper,even thought all of them was injection of the vaccine.
my two hobs still with good appetite.

can any one help me with it?

many thanks!

<message edited by kkristens on Friday, July 06, 2012 11:01 AM>
yureiavalon

• Total Posts : 807
Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Friday, July 06, 2012 11:54 AM
Are there any other symptoms? Lethargy, lack of appetite or drinking of water, strange poos or lack of pooing (or peeing), itching, wheezing, coughing, sneezing, acting like he is in pain, swelling? Anything? If it was a surface allergy there should be other symptoms. Have you changed foods, bedding, litter or detergent recently? what are you feeding and what are you using for litter and bedding? I hope for his sake it's not distemper. It's not too common in the states, here is a list of symptoms for distemper:

Discharge from eyes - generally foul smelling, yellow or green
Swelling, rashes and thick brown crusts on the chin, lips, and nose
Severe lethargy
High fever
Loss of appetite
Drooling
Dehydration
Coughing
Hardened, thick paw pads and swollen feet
Crusting and redness in the abdominal and anal areas
Muscular tremors
Seizures
Vomiting and diarrhea may occur, but are less common than in dogs with distemper
Coma

I found some photos of distemper in ferrets:

http://www.ferret-fact.org/DistemperImages.htm

http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-columns/notes-from-an-exotic-small-animal-vet/110713-canine-distemper-in-ferrets.aspx
<message edited by yureiavalon on Friday, July 06, 2012 11:59 AM>
yureiavalon

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Friday, July 06, 2012 2:42 PM
Kkristens, I have posted your story on another web forum to get you help and advice and the general consensus is it is very, very likely it is canine distemper. You should call your vet immediately and talk to them. Distemper is nearly 100% fatal and there is not much you can do at this point but try and make them comfortable, preferably put them to sleep sooner rather than later so they don't suffer excessively. Distemper is an agonizing death that can take them anywhere from 1 week to a month generally to die. Your vet should be able to diagnose it and make the call, but be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. :(

Can you please tell us what country and region you live in? If there is an outbreak, we should warn others in the area. Your ferrets had to have gotten it somehow, from somewhere- be it another ferret or dog or just off of your clothing. Maybe even from your vet's office somehow from another sick animal. Apparently there have been some reports of outbreaks in the US recently that are possibly vaccine resistant strands.

I am so, so sorry for your loss and the chance that you may loose all of your fuzzies. I am crying for your poor babies and I pray that we are all wrong. Please keep us updated on what happens if you can.
kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Saturday, July 07, 2012 9:18 AM
Thanks both of you to reply me.
I took both my ferrets to the best ferret  vet in our country(in Taiwan),he used the CDC AG panel which I read some article about CDs in ferret that panel could be use to screening.

And the result of both of my babies were all negative.it's a little relieve when the result cameout ,but I still so suspicion ,if the allergies was the symptoms of Cd,why the panel didn't show any positive sign?could be the symptoms was too slightly so can't to detect?

The cdv panel use my ferret's saliva and nasal secretion to test,the vet said its accuracy higher 90%.

I will keep eye on my fur babies .and let u know.
GrimSqueaker

• Total Posts : 73
Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Saturday, July 07, 2012 9:48 AM
kkristens

Thanks both of you to reply me.
I took both my ferrets to the best ferret  vet in our country(in Taiwan),he used the CDC AG panel which I read some article about CDs in ferret that panel could be use to screening.

And the result of both of my babies were all negative.it's a little relieve when the result cameout ,but I still so suspicion ,if the allergies was the symptoms of Cd,why the panel didn't show any positive sign?could be the symptoms was too slightly so can't to detect?

The cdv panel use my ferret's saliva and nasal secretion to test,the vet said its accuracy higher 90%.

I will keep eye on my fur babies .and let u know.

That's a relief.  If it was CD I would think they'd be showing more symptoms by now like gummy eyes and lethargy.  Do they seem ok in every other way?  Still happy and playful etc?

Sometimes my boy Hurley gets some orangey crustiness on his chin and snout and it goes away after a few days.  I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem to bother him.  Has me worried though everytime he gets it.
yureiavalon

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Saturday, July 07, 2012 1:42 PM
Apparently they can have false negatives. I would see if there are any other secondary tests or a retest you can do. Also, please get back to us on any other symptoms they are having so we can better help you.
The_Jaybird

• Total Posts : 598
Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Saturday, July 07, 2012 3:40 PM
This might sound a little odd, but have you tried bathing his head? Only I found my hob had something very similar to this on his face and chin, I had a massive panic and then it washed off... turned out to be a kind of coating from his kibble... he'd been sleeping with his head in the dish xD

kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:14 AM
toyureiavalon
Thank you,I saw that you help me  post it one holistic ferret forum.thats very kind of you.
I have been tried to login the ferret forum website for  two days,but just cant let me until now.
the earlier  photo  i posted was Bunny's,he is 3 yrs and a half ,i found him with the rash on cheek at june 26.

and this one is Hero's:and he was 4 yrs and a half.i found him with the rash on chin at june 25

the one who pass away-Momo,I dont think it the adrenal cause her death,her tail problem more like rat tail,but i cant not sure,coz i didnt see what's a ferret's tail looks like with the adrenal disease,but my jill Momo with blackheads on tail,and her hair didnt loose much,you guys can see here,here's the photo i took at jun 30,2012
and she did loose her appetite(maybe cause her pain of teeth problem,he one tooth need to be extract due to the tooth decay...)and she didnt seem pain or screaming ,but also with the rash on chin.

and her rash showed up at june 10 as I can remember which according to the photo i took,it with the date on it. 
is that possible they got the germ infection from dog's water bowl so cause the allergies?

I fed my babies with EVO+chicken soup for kitten lover on june,then evo+zupreem..after evo finished only with zupreem.

to GrimSqueaker
i didnt see any one of them with gummy eyes and lethargy,and didnt lose appetite.
Do u have any chance to have with the photo that hurley with the orangey crustiness on chin??

to The_Jaybird

yeah, I didnt wash their facial area much,coz afraid of they might drink the shampoo,but i did tried to washing Bunny's chin once after I saw his face last week,but it coming back again:(

i took Bunny to the other vet yesterday,and the vet gave him body temperature check ,it was 101F(38.5C)
and this vet said he might got a cold cause he was a little diarrhea and poo out while the check,many reason to cause diarrhea,sometimes too hot(our weather temperature could be 92F or 93F recently)...

if they really get the CD,how long the symptoms will shows up?
how long i need to keep eye on them to make sure they are not CD?
after 7-14 days?

kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:16 AM
I took a test on july 7,when should I test it again so can make sure if its CD or not??
kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:19 AM
yureiavalon

Apparently they can have false negatives. I would see if there are any other secondary tests or a retest you can do. Also, please get back to us on any other symptoms they are having so we can better help you.

could it be possible that even the ferret were took a shot to prevent the CD but  still get the cd?
have u ever heard of it?
yureiavalon

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:59 AM
Yes, there are vaccine resistant strands of CDV popping up now in the USA and other places that vaccinating won't save the ferret. :( These strands also take longer to kill a ferret, up to 2 months instead of within a month that you normally find. I just read an article on it recently. You may be lucky and it could be an odd allergic reaction to something environmental. It sounds like you may have changed their food recently? What about laundry detergent/soap? Is there anyway they could be rubbing their face on anything and irritating it and causing the rashes? What are you using for litter for the ferrets to poop in?
kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:44 PM

laundry detergent/soap
yureiavalon

Yes, there are vaccine resistant strands of CDV popping up now in the USA and other places that vaccinating won't save the ferret. :( These strands also take longer to kill a ferret, up to 2 months instead of within a month that you normally find. I just read an article on it recently. You may be lucky and it could be an odd allergic reaction to something environmental. It sounds like you may have changed their food recently? What about laundry detergent/soap? Is there anyway they could be rubbing their face on anything and irritating it and causing the rashes? What are you using for litter for the ferrets to poop in?

I won't said changed the food,coz they always eat these three brand only....wait I did changed to Go!cat food only few days,coz they didnt like it ,I dont think it would be the reason cause the allergies,coz only 3-4days.

I use natural laundry detergent for very long time,and didnt change much.
they didnt rubbing their face much,but they did rubbing their body sometimes.
and I  always mopping my floor with white vinegar and baking soda,and after where they poop,now I use 75% alcohol to disinfection all floor and cage.
I didn't use any litter,but I use toilet paper,I put the toilet paper on the corner where they usually poop...

I noticed one of my hob,red on the anus area,and with a little poop on it,could it be sign of prolapse or diarrhea? but they all eat the same food,the other one didnt have this problem :((((

yureiavalon

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:52 PM
It sounds like you've been doing everything right, I'm really stumped as to why they have this orange crud on them. Is it anyway possible they have over active oil production from their glands in their face? That would make them yellow/orange. Usually you notice it on the tail and neck but the face has glands too. Do they smell any more than normal? Or are they extra oily/greasy feeling? Are they fixed (neutered) or intact? The orange might be a sign of heat/rut maybe if they are over producing oils or adrenal disease possibly?

Can you take a picture of his rectum? I have linked a picture of a prolapse below. I am guessing that it is of a severe one, I've never had one of my babies have one yet so I am not too experienced there. But a prolapse is not usually just redness, stuff will be sticking out a little or a lot. Redness could easily be an irritation from rubbing or an infection, particularly if they still have their scent glands. Distemper can also cause a rash/crustiness on the rectal area too. :( How are your babies doing? Are they still eating/drinking/playing/pooping fine? Has the orange gotten worse or better? Does it wash off?

http://www.veterinaryimagebank.com/uploads/201004/fb8ccc9e2ba9d212802506f084065dc9183d179e.jpg
kkristens

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:49 AM
hi everyone:
I'm back.

thanks for reply me last time about the problem,turn out its not CD(thanks GOD!!!) ,
they are pretty healthy now,and the rashes were gone last week.and they are doing ok now. I mean if it was CD,they might be pass away already or getting worse,right?
the date with the rashes showed up at June 26,and now is July 26,and without rashes.

but still cant figure out why was that happened?

just wanna say thank you all.
yureiavalon

Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:26 PM
Indeed more than likely if it was CDV they'd be dead now or severely ill. Thank goodness they are getting better! The vet still has not been able to figure out the problem I take it? Perhaps it was some sort of passing allergy? I found out last night that one of mine may be very allergic to beef meat as he was extremely ill immediately after eating it.
itsnowornever

• Total Posts : 1661
Re:please take a look of my hob,sth wrong with him? - Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:13 PM
OK...I think maybe the CD assumption was a panic attack. You said your female that passed was 10 right? That's rather old for a ferret and maybe she just passed from old age. The rash could just be a rash or ferret pimples, especially how you described your female's tail with the black heads. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread