Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww.
Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
  • Reward points : 0
New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:34 PM
Well, we just moved from our tiny one bedroom apartment into my sister's 3 bedroom house this past month (she moved to Ohio last year so we are renting from her).  It's coming along, and the house is really nice, but one thing I noticed is that the neighborhood cats are peeing under our front enclosed porch (there's 3 that stick together, and one of them is my sisters cat Mitsy - my sister moved and gave Mitsy to a neighbor but Mitsy still comes over here, she's a sweet cat and says hello (well really "meow") to me every morning.  If I wasn't allergic to her, i'd steal her back haha.  I guess there is a hole under the porch where they are hiding out for shelter in the winter, and they pee under there, and cat pee isn't the most pleasant smell in the world.  I can't do anything about it now, as it's winter here in NY, and the snow is piled pretty high, so blocking off the hole on the side of the porch isn't going to happen now.  But is there anything I can do now? There is one male cat, he isn't fixed so i'm assuming most of the smell is coming from him. 

My fiance said his grandpa uses orange peels to keep the cats away from his house, and i've read that moth balls aren't great for cats.  I can't use bleach or any harsh chemicals because of my allergies and asthma.  Will using vinegar, baking soda and hot water work? It's what I use to clean the ferrets cage and it works really good, but not sure how it would work on the cat pee smell.  I'm thinking maybe this spring I can spray under there with that solution to neutralize the odor, block off the porch...but i'm not sure what I can use to deter the cats from peeing around here.   

Help!!!

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
Weezlemum

• Total Posts : 2016
Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:58 PM
I have always used mothballs!  they keep cats, mice, snakes, coons, rats and probably much more away from where ever they are.   a few years ago I kept them under my house and scattered for about 5 ft from it to keep the field mice and water moccasins away from the house. 
inzekesmemory

• Total Posts : 1046
Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:33 AM
sprinkle hot pepper where they are digging if you can. cats sniff before they dig. that's what i've always used in my garden and it works.
They say the good Lord will never give you more than you can handle.......I wish he didn't have so much faith in me!!!!!!!
Nissaj01

Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:15 PM
Thanks!! I'll try these things.  I just want the smell to go away. Yuck!!!!

I feel bad for them LOL even though they are peeing under my porch.  The poor things have got to be so cold :(

RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
Weezlemum

Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:59 PM
you can mix 2 parts ammonia with 3 parts water and spray it under there with a sprayer like an exterminator uses.  It will be STRONG but will rid the odor.
Nissaj01

Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:23 PM
I would do that, but i'm highly allergic to harsh cleaning chemicals, so ammonia (and bleach, carpet cleaning solutions, Dawn dish soap, lysol....) and me aren't friends LOL, so I try to stick with the "green" cleaning solutions. I suppose I could have the fiance do it though lol.  It'll be nice to get the cat pee smell gone.  Never had issues like this before, and never realized how bad the cat pee smelled. Wowzer....

Do you think Nature's Miracle would do any good?

Weezlemum

Re:New house, neighborhood cats peeing under our porch... Ewww. - Friday, February 19, 2010 12:03 AM
Not sure about the natures mircle, a good orange based cleaner will do it and with out the harsh chemical smell! I had a male cat decied his area of the house was my son's room.... thank god it was a tile floor!  I used an orange cleaner and if i remember right I got it from home depot..that was 20 yrs ago!
I too have to be careful about the household chemicals I use... young and dumb... got a face full of wasp spray when I was 19 and it left scar tissue all the way down...
<message edited by Weezlemum on Friday, February 19, 2010 12:07 AM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message