Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sooo many ferrets O_o
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
cyngo

• Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 0
Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 5:20 PM
So I haven't been here for very long, but I've noticed that most of the thread dwellers have multiple ferrets and by multiple I mean by the dozen!!! So I had to ask: How many ferrets do you own? If 5 or more, what's it like to have a pack of ferrets running the house? what are the added responsibilities of owning so many ferrets? And what in the world motivated you to get so many?! (Are you running a shelter, or is it a matter of ferret math?)

I have my hands full with two. I thought about getting a 3rd one, but frankly, two is quite enough, what with all the poo and the miscief and the trying to walk them :P...

Thanks in advance for all your posts! 

Oh and a few more question: What would you recommend for an owner who wants to get multiple ferrets like yourself? What are your thoughts on uncontrolled ferret math whereas most of them end up returning to shelters because of bad budgeting or lack of time.
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 2641
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 5:41 PM
Well I have finve and it kinda just happened. They are in two business of 2 and 3. Now two live with me and two with my mom. But over the summer they were all together in one room and it got hectic at times.

We started with Cody and then 8 months later added Norman and Barack within two days of each other so I cant really tell you much about the jump from 2 to 3. But three has alot of poop. It NEEDS daily scooping and could probably use twice daily scooping. Then along came Kenora in May but she didnt like out three boys so I decided to get her a friend who could match her...enthusiasm. So that is where Newt came into the picture. Then Kenora passed away and Newt became destructive so I went to the breeder that I got Newt from to see if she had any older ferrets and she had a retired breeder looking for a home for that was how Luxo came home.

Now Newt and Luxo live with me and our other three boys live with my mom. When I am home on holiday and over the summer I scoop poop alot and I find that it is harder to play with each ferret individually and usualy end up playing eith everyone at once instead. Also, having three made it harder to keep on top of their potty habits, we dont always know whose poop is whose! I dont know how those with more do it.
<message edited by lnsybean44 on Monday, October 05, 2009 8:03 PM>
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6460
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 5:42 PM
guess i'll go first...
my first 2 ferrets, both singles, escaped out doors tha wer ecarelessly left ajar.  when Erik left, I put an ad in lost and found.  A week later I got a call from a lady who had two she wanted to rehome.  That was the onset of feret math.  Since then and until recently, every time i have lost a fuzzie i have been led to 2 more needing a home.  I am not an official rescue, but for a while there it sured seemd like i was an unofficial one.  I am a ferret math hard-case.  Fortunately when i lost Icy a month ago, ferret math didn't strike again.  Hopefully the string is broken for now, because 8 is plenty, and I am barely in a financial position to care for these.
I only walk one at a time, and it's almost always Ed.  He expects it every night now.
Play time with 8 is a trip.  All i have to do is drag a plastic trash bag around to entertain them. Sometines I have all of them involved at once.
I let them free-roam the whole house except for one bedroom.  I had been letting them sleep out during the day, but since they are not 100% with the litter boxes and puppy pads, i've been putting them in the cage after they wear themselves out.  that way i clean up a lot less.  8 x 5 poops a day is 40.  lotsa poop.  much easier and cheaper to clean 2 cage boxes twice a day.
     You need to decide for yourself how many you are comfortable with, both as far as time, effort and budget.  as long as i own ferrets (hopefully forever,) I will never have a single for long.  they are so much happier in bunches.

DI
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 5:44 PM
For NippeyGus & me it started with our 1st fuzzy Bandit(Nov 1999). 9 months later came Smokey(Oct 2000). Then in Mar 2003 we rescued our 1st fuzzy. In 10 years we have had 32. The highest @ 1 time was 22. We became seriously addicted. When a fuzzy needs rescued we can't say no. You might say we have a shelter in the sense that we take in unwanted, abused & neglected fuzzbutts. But once  they come to us they stay with us. We have 14 @ the present. We lost little Holly 2 weeks ago today from kidney failure. That without a doubt is the hardest part. Losing a beloved baby. Illnesses have to be the most trying & of course expensive. We have a wonderful vet who takes wonderful care of our babies & gives us a very reduced rate because we rescue & have so many. She has even treated & not charged. We get them out in 2 groups everyday. We have a routine every day and it works well. I get home from work @ 7am & start getting them out tom play & do food, water & litter pans. Soup for those who need it. We love every minute of it. There is a saying I've seen, "Owned by ferrets". Boy is that the truth & we wouldn't have it any other way. We love our fuzzies very much. Each one has it's own little personality & querks. Multiples aren't for everyone but I can't imagine now only having 1 or 2.  

Fuzzbutts Rule!

cyngo

• Total Posts : 156
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 6:05 PM
@ Bandit99: 32?! Wow, that is intense! As I said earlier, I have trouble balancing with just two XD. Granted, I'm a student. 

@ unclejoe: By losing, what do you mean? Like ran away? or dying? 
@Insybean: Agreed, we sometimes have trouble distinguishing Misu potty habit from Zephyr's and vice versa. Especially when one loses weight, it's especially important to keep track of how much they eat, but you can't always be watching them O-o.

More questions: Do you find that, by owning so many ferrets, you're compensating on the care of each and everyone of them? How do you make sure that everyone has the attention they need? 
Do you think there's something special about ferrets that make people get more than one or two, as opposed to getting a dog or a cat? 

By the way, I think it's great that you guys make sure all these ferrets have a place to call home. Thank you for rescuing! :)
I feel like I'm interviewing XD
cloudtickler

• Total Posts : 573
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 6:14 PM
6 was my highest for my own troop. It was a bit overwhelming at times, but no more-so then 4 I think.. since 1 or 2 are usually snoozin ;) The poo overload was hard, until we switched to a raw diet and after that I was changin two boxes once a day. (Instead of three boxes TWICE a day!)

I am now at 3, and ferretmath is not an urge I'm feeling. Though, since I also foster other ferrets, I sort of have a full house. ;)

For the record: 3 is a great number. It allows me to cuddle with one (or nail trim, ear clean, what have you) and the other two can still be playin up a storm. I also was fine with 4. When I reach 6 fuzzies all running around in the same room, this can only happen when my BF is home with me. However, it never gets to that point anymore because we keep the fosters and our troop seperate.
Owned by
Pembroke Welsh Corgi "Mira" 
DSH cat "Echo"

Rezbi

• Total Posts : 724
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 6:25 PM
i got my first ferret, suki, last september. i was 'adopting' her from a lady claiming to be moving out the country. i dont believe her story anymore as suki had a horrible biting problem and i believe she was abused. i had her for 3 months trying to get the biting under control before getting her a companion.

i saw the craigslist add for zephyr in december and thought he would be perfect. even though it started out as an adoption from a lady who no longer had time, i consider it a rescue. the filthy conditions he was housed in almost made me sick. needless to say he came home with me.

in january i saw the add for remy and nimh. the usual story of we dont have time for them blah blah blah. i was wary about it after zephyr's situation. come to find out, they were the nicest people and took excellent care of them. one was a social worker, the other, a teacher. very selfless people being honest about being overloaded in their life.

i made it all the way to june of this year before ferret math struck again. this time, a little pet store ferret caught my heart. so for our 5th anniversary, my boyfriend bought me piper. she is my first and probly only petstore ferret. i prefer rescues, but sometimes they just get to ya ;)

for me, 5 is quite enough. i feel like i can easily say no to more (knock on wood :p). the whole gang has the run of their room (used to be mine, but i moved out over half the stuff in it for them :P). every day its exciting to have them come out and play. i can get all 5 wardancing and racing around and its a riot lol. i wouldnt have it any other way.

that being said, 5 is incredibly expensive. vet bills, food, litter, etc. its a lot. ive managed quite well though, so i feel confidant about taking care of them. any more ferrets and i would start to doubt myself.

to answer your question, for me its easy to give them all individual attention. they all seem to want it at different times anyways, so maybe i got lucky. the only time they all want attention is when i initially let them out of the cage. they all want cuddles and kisses especialy if they are still sleepy hehe

cloudtickler

• Total Posts : 573
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 6:26 PM
cyngo

More questions: Do you find that, by owning so many ferrets, you're compensating on the care of each and everyone of them? How do you make sure that everyone has the attention they need? 
Do you think there's something special about ferrets that make people get more than one or two, as opposed to getting a dog or a cat? 

By the way, I think it's great that you guys make sure all these ferrets have a place to call home. Thank you for rescuing! :)
I feel like I'm interviewing XD

I do not feel like my ferrets lack any care by me having several. I am very close to each one and know their needs, likes, dislikes, fav toys, what they weigh, etc. I have one-on-one time with each one every single day. As does my BF. (Particularly Onyxia, who owns him!!)

Ferrets are soo different from a dog or a cat. I have a dog and my roomy has a cat so I feel like I have both. :P I find all animals can have a similar "addiction" like ferrets do to a lot of people. But, because they are misunderstood, many of "us" feel like we can take on more then 1 or 2 or 3. (That and they're smaller, which helps..)

Owned by
Pembroke Welsh Corgi "Mira" 
DSH cat "Echo"

citsur86

• Total Posts : 88
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 6:32 PM

* Reply to m

I just got my third and she is a girl.  She is a kit so my view is a little skewed.  The 2 older boys (1yo), are at the point where they will cuddle up in my lap and fall asleep.  Meeko (the kit), is......well a kit.  She bites, poops where she wants, runs and jumps uncontrollably then falls asleep for hours on end.  She will eventually get into the routine with the others but just like I had to do with them, I will have to teach her right from wrong.

I haven't noticed too much of poop increase probably because all of Meeko's lands outside the box and I clean it as soon as I see it.  I can say one thing, playtime just got a whole lot more interesting.  Whether its just the additional ferret or the fact that she is a girl and a kit I don't know, but what I do know is that they all dook 10x more, tail wagging craziness and MEEKO is the biggest instigator.  Anyways, So far I love having the third (but I have no plans for another).

tanglefootkids

• Total Posts : 1871
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 7:17 PM
We currently are in servivce to 12 fuzzies. Started with the 2 that step daughter in college rescued/adopted, then she was on the verge of being kicked out for having them. Soooo..enter Pistachio and Peanut into our household August 07. It was instant love with daily research. 4 months later for Christmas, hubby  puts on his sad face and mentions he would really like a third. At a Christmas party, a friend tells us she saw a fuzzie at PetCo. Next day, we didn't speak or it at all, then 1 hour before store closed, I called, verified they indeed had fuzzies, and we raced up there to see. (I told hubby he could have ONE) .  The young fella who worked there opened the habitat, and all THREE fuzzies were instantly on hubby, in his hair, on his chest, up on his shoulder. I swear I will never forget that look on his face, of pure love-happiness-rapture. The store-fella asks 'which one do you want?'...so what could I do? Enter JackieFerretRocket, Cisco Kid, and Carmen. Now we have 5. Soon after , Cisco was tested for lymphoma (negative!) and Jackie was treated for a blocked tear duct.  The following February, a member here needed to rehome her DEW. Yup...we drove 16 hours round trip to get #6-Frodo, home. In April, another member was up against a wall and required a good home for his lil girl. Enter #7-Jessie.  During the adoptions, I was smitten with a GFX kit in N.Carolina. I promised myself 8 was plenty, we would be set in our business. In May, with the invaluable assistance of Wenmister, enter #8-GFX's Squeak.   Now at work I was dubbed 'the crazy ferret lady' . I had a dream in June, I woke in tears, looking for the ferret I was holding in my arms, his name was Mandrake in the dream.  So I go to  work (one of my duties is teaching) I'm introduced to a wonderful lady to orient to the ER routine, new EMT...my cooworker introduces me as  'the crazy ferret lady'...and this lady's eyes light up..Long story short...enter #9 Mandrake, who her young son was no longer interested in. (his name was Rusty) . He was a dead ringer for the fuzzy in my dream. Now it is after Christmas, I look at Craigs list, and there is fuzzie to be rehomed close by. January 2, enter #10-Showy, our first true rescue/adoption. Trust me, you don't want the details.  This July, a good friend I had been mentoring, came to the decision she wasn't giving her girls enough time. Enter #11 & #12  Star and Luna (formerly Eclipse).
 Now that you actually stayed to read my whole post, let me say, I love each and every one, they get to the vet twice a year unless we have other health issues, they are tested for ADV, are up to date on Rabies, and distemper, live in 2 side by side FN 143's. Eat mice, chicks, quail, soupies, raw chicken, and have a high quality 4 kibble blend available 24/7.  I can cut 240 toenails in under a half hour.
They are separated into 2 groups, 5 and 7, each gets out of cage time 2-2.5 hours twice a day.  I play with all of them, they poop a lot, I clean it.  In cage they are potty trained, out..well..not so much. Occasionally we have an accidental hit IN the remote potties.  Laundry day every 6-7 days is 2 full loads. It is expensive, shopping bargains is a must. As is my full time employment.   . Hubby is officially retired, I could not do this all alone.  Our vets (an excellent specalized group) know we rescue/adopt, we get a bit of a break on bills.  Now, am I hoarder? A ferret Messiah? A loon?  Don't know.  I do hope I'm done!    
  Forgot to mention, they get to have the dining room, living room, hallways, den, and bathroom to play in, double playpen for outside play, snow brought in for winter play times, they are so spoiled, they are so loved.

<message edited by tanglefootkids on Monday, October 05, 2009 7:24 PM>
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 7:26 PM

Now, am I hoarder? A ferret Messiah? A loon? Don't know

No, ferret slave!
tinypinkduck

• Total Posts : 317
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 7:33 PM
My mom was fostering Cyrano and Seras for a friend of the familys' daughter's boyfriend and then they became hers because he couldn't take proper care of them. I moved out and got my own place and then moved into the apartment above my mother's. Its a duplex. I fell in love with them and saw an ad on craigslist in January for a pair. Drove over an hour to get them and that's how Dana and Hammy came into our lives.
In the beginning of May, I came across this guy who is a friend of a friend of a friend who was wanting to either find a good home for his ferret or euthanize her because he couldn't handle the biting and the bad behaviour. He had a high stress job and didn't have the time to do anything with her. So we adopted Nyu.
About a month or so ago, I ended up taking Seras and Cyrano from my parents. Mom has to have multiple back surgeries and my stepfather has emphysema on top of having 2 kids under ten, one who is autistic. They just couldn't let them out of their cage as much as they needed to be.
Life is nuts here. Nyu and Cyrano DO NOT get along whatsoever so I have two separate cages in my kitchen. Playtimes are separated but everyone gets out daily. It was hard to get used to at first but the separate playtimes are becoming routine. Hammy, Dana and Nyu get out first and after a few hours, Nyu goes back in her cage and Seras and Cyrano come out to play. So Dana and Hammy get the most out of cage time.
I also have a corgi and a cat and no two days are the same. I think I have to big of a heart and when I see that an animal needs a good home, especially ferrets, I can't say no. My boyfriend has banned me from craigslist because I always see ads for them and want to take every ferret I see but are wallets keep getting skinnier. I'm not allowed to bring anymore home until we get a bigger place and we aren't actively looking because what landlord in their right mind is going to take a tenant with 7 animals? My landlord could care less as long as I pay rent on time.
I do want more and will always have them. I cannot imagine my life without them. My boyfriends family keeps giving us crap about the amount of animals we have but we have the space and the time and sometimes the money. We are "ferret farmers" according to his one brother.
I do believe that you do need three ferrets to see a crazy playtime. Usually Seras, Dana, Hammy and Cyrano get together and wrestle each other in the tubes at the same time and with the super thruway tube its really fun to watch. The vet bills really haven't changed much because my parents had paid for Seras and Cyrano's shots and check up and Nyu was adopted a few months after Dana and Hammy. I have yet had an emergency (knock on wood). I spend a third more on food a month now for the five of them. No two personalities are the same which is nice and we know all the dislikes and likes.
The hardest part of owning five ferrets? Finding their new hiding spots each night when its time for bed. They only have access to two rooms and they find the oddest places to sleep. We have a friend staying with us because she lives almost 45 minutes away and works and goes to school five minutes from my house so we put a dresser in the living room for her. We have found them underneath the dresser sleeping. Usually we look in the drawers. We have found them curled up in the curtains. Sleeping behind our entertainment center. In a sweatshirt. And they are never together. We'll find one or two together and then we'll find a third but usually cannot find Seras. Shes a really good hider.
My advice for someone who wants more? Set an absolute limit if you live in an apartment or do not own your own home. That way you know if you get a bigger place you can get more or if your own your own home you can set up a room just for them. That way if you have to move, you don't have to give up the fuzzbutts. Honestly I don't like the excuse, I don't have the time unless there is a medical reason. At one point I was working 70plus hours a week at 2 jobs and my boyfriend was working 40hrs a week at his job. Yes a night went by when they didn't get out but I did make it up to them. I ended up quitting one of my jobs because the physical aspect was getting way to much for me to handle. I now only work 40hrs a week and my boyfriend is working 60 plus a week because he was able to get a nightshift job. We are 21 & 23. We work, we like to party with our friends and hang out. We have already started our family with the fuzzbutts so I figure if we can do anyone else can.
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6460
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 7:43 PM
Since the first two ran off, i have only lost Erika by escape.  she got out a window and the dogs next door got her.  she was without doubt the best ferret i ever had.  i have lost 3 others this year, 2 to natural causes and one to an accident.

DI
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 2641
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 8:11 PM

Honestly I don't like the excuse, I don't have the time unless there is a medical reason.

I agree. Even with me going to school full time and working and my mom battling breast cancer and working full time none the less, we still take care of our fuzzy family. Like I said above, they might not get individual play times but they still all play every night and get individual cuddle times. They seems to enjoy playing in a group more anyway and whom ever comes to join me to play with the bags/feathers/eggs or tag or chase will do so.

I love having multiples. Your time is split a little more and you need to make sure you can afford it but personally I love having all of the individual personalities. Its kinda funny to be watching T.V. and I will say hi to one of the ferrets without even looking. My friends look at me cross eyed until I explain that only Newt chuckles when he runs by or that Cody likes my hair and wuffles in my ear or that Norman likes to sit behind your ankles and you get tickled with his whiskers while he waits to chomp.

Murphysmom

• Total Posts : 1678
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 9:22 PM
I have 6 currently, but for 24 hours, I had 8.

Let's see, it started with me adopting Murphy. I felt that Murphy needed a friend, so I bought Hammy. Well, then my parents got me Koda as a bday gift. Then I moved out of the parents home and I was contacted by a member that had 3( Ollie, Noah, and Princess) she needed to rehome. I told her I would keep them for her until she got back into the states and decided if she wanted them back. In the mean time, another member had just rescued 2 and the female was not getting along, so I told her I would take her (I fell in love with her pictures!). That was Athena. So I had 7 at this point. I contacted the foster's owner since I had a co worker looking for a ferret, possibly 2 and the orignal owner decided that for health reasons, she would not ask for them back (her son's asthma had not acted up since the ferrets where brought to me). Well then my boss's son had to rehome his ferret and I ended up with that one too (Diamond). The night after I brought Diamond home, my co worker came over and decided to take Noah and Princess home with her (which has turned out wonderfully as her son loves Noah and Princess and her ferret get along really well!). I decided to keep Ollie due to his age and have since decided to keep Diamond (renamed Lady GaGa).

I find that have a small herd isn't more work really because I still have to clean the cage daily and change food and water all the time. The business entertains themselves a lot, so there isn't a whole lot of demand for me. I do however, whenever they come out of the cage, hold and snuggle EACH ferret and talk to them for a few seconds. They now wait for me to do that before they come out of the cage! and I sit in the play pen a lot and just let them do what ever.

It does cost more money though! That is really the only con I can think of.

ferretrunner

• Total Posts : 790
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 9:42 PM
Currently, I have three little ones; Lady Tosca, Taliesin, and Koda Bear.  I find three is a good number.  They can play with each other, there's not too much more work than two, I still have time to spend with each individually.   At one point, I had as many as five.    

I started out with one impulse buy- Merlynn- back in December 1999.  I fell in love with the little one and ferrets.  In April 2000,  I had to leave town for a weekend and had the rescue babysit her.  She made a friend, Zahn.  Zahn was an awesome little girl, laid back, but quite mischievious when she wanted to be.  Two ferrets were fine and not all that much work.  Then, in June,  I went to the Partners for Pets shelter outreach project at the mall.  There I met Jester.  My original terrible trio was complete.  Three was perfect for me.   I went from 0-3 in 6 months! 

I briefly went to four ferrets in 2006, when I adopted Taliesin as a baby.   Zahn was 10 at that time and passed away four months later.  Merlynn was bonded to Zahn and joined her at the Bridge 2 months later, at age 6.  I was in a pet store and found Lady Tosca a few months later (Dec 06).   She was a "mean biter"- and totally adorable, with the cutest little face.  She's also deaf.  She no longer bites and is an awesome little girlie.  I was back to three.  That summer, I went camping (2007).  There was a pet store in town.  I fell in love with an adorable sable kit, Koda.  And then there were four- Tosca, Koda, Taliesin, and Jester (my sweetie). 

In spring 2008, number five came along- Druid.  He was rescued from a horrible living conditions.  He lived with me 5 months before he developed an inorperable tumor and had to be put to sleep.  Jester passed away from old age (9) the following month. 

That is how I ended up with multiple ferrets.  A combination of ferret math and ferrets in need. 

I really enjoy three though.  It's a blast to see them play with each other.  And the "odd one out" usually plays with me.  I'm the "fourth ferret!"
<message edited by ferretrunner on Monday, October 05, 2009 9:46 PM>
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. If only I could figure out where the ferrets stashed it!
http://www.myspace.com/ferretrunner
chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 10:08 PM
My ferret story actually started when I was 9 years old ( 32 years ago)
I fell in love with them the first time I saw one in a pet store and had to
have one.  My Dad broke down and bought me one finally after alot of
begging!  I raised several litters (mine was purchased from a breeder,
and was whole)  I had my bunch of 3 until I was 20, and I lost them all
the same week due to an upper respitory infection.  After that, it was
non-furkids until April 2008.  My sister knew someone who knew someone,
who needed to rehome their baby.  When I finally decided that I would go
get her, I nearly cried as she was housed in a little cage that was two by
two, no blankies or toys, living in pine shavings, and very adrenal.  Cammy
started all of this innocently enough. 
This could be a really long story about how all the others came
to live here - I never would have dreamed that a year and a half later, I would
have brought 12 into our home!  I gravitate towards the 'homeless', but the
geriatrics, unloved, abused, neglected, adrenal, cast offs and candidates for
eauthnizing, aggressive biters, and even the ones that were dearly loved by
past owners are all welcome.  I never thought about being a 'rescue', never
gave any thought as to whether rescue was my calling - I assumed through
my life that ALL people loved their animals as I do.......Sadly, that isn't true
at all.  We lost Cammy nearly a year ago from a post-surgical blood clot.....
that was an emotional breakdown that I wasn't sure I could get through.
I doubted whether or not I was cut out to love and lose these precious
little ones who had embedded themselves so deeply into my heart.  As hard
as losing one is, I have to remind myself that if I hadn't taken them, they wouldn't
have known love from a humans hands.  Thats what I'm able to give back to THEM.......
And is it alot of work??  Yeah, it is.......I scoop alot of poop....LOL
But at the end of the day, it is so very worth it. I wouldn't trade my bunch of 11 for
any amount of money.......

GoingPostal

• Total Posts : 171
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Monday, October 05, 2009 11:15 PM
Lol!  Ferret math is terrible.  You get one because it's adorable at the pet store, then you think yours seems lonely so you get another.  Two are amazingly more funny together.  Three came because they say ferrets bond in pairs so it's better to have an odd number.  I thought I was set at three, all girls, loved how little and cute they were. 

Then I saw an ad for a ferret that a known pet dumper had up at the pet store.  Male, a couple years old, living in a crate nonstop and being fed cheap cat food.  Sucker that I am I forked over $40 to get him out of that situation.  Then a friend of ours asked us to "temporarily" take care of their three until they got rid of unplanned kittens and moved.  Two years later and we still have them.  The "rescued" male died in May, we took in another freebie male from a lady who was tired of him in June.  Lost our first female a few days ago to cancer so back to 6, most at once is 7. 

Ours have free roam of their own large bedroom, cages and toys set up all over.  It is a lot of work.  2-3x a day cleaning, feeding, refreshing water.  They are messy so full room scrubdown at least once a week with bedding wash.   Vet bills can be astronomical.  We usually do 2-3 at a time vet visits and end up shelling out $300+ every time.  Adrenal surgery is $400 up here which isn't bad for the area but not cheap either.  Plus my vet is 2.5 hours away.   Food has to be shipped in because the best available locally is horribly overpriced Zupreem.   7 ferrets eat a ton. We go through a 13 pound bag of litter every week. 

As far as people getting rid of ferrets because of cost...I see this a ton of ferret forums, people downsizing their business or getting rid of all of them because it's too much to handle.  I think that's incredibly irresponsible and sad that most seem to totally accept this behavior.  If I brought in 20 dogs and then dumped them I would be bashed horribly.  Why are ferrets different?  How are people suprised that groups of ferrets require time and money to keep up?  10 seconds of research would have taught anyone curious that. 

lorelei0922

• Total Posts : 323
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:11 AM
Well lets see.. we're currently stalled at 14... though hopefully an opening at the local shelter will open up for the #14 (we are fostering him for our vet, who had him turned in as a stray)

1 started with 2.. had 3 by the end of the first year.... 8 by the end of the next year... and slowly have worked up to 13... 

Most came honestly enough ... either searched and paid for via a breeder, or picked up cause they were just the cutest things at the game fair ... 2 were given to me by a friend.. and my hubby... amazingly.. went out shooting rabbits and came home with a ferret LOL... and 4 of them were of my own breeding...

daily chores in caring for that many...  well mine all live outdoors 365 days a year... they live in two large cement floored sheds with nesting boxes and rugs and blankets and a couple litter boxes...

i scoop the big shed twice daily ( 10 in there) and clean the feeding den out 1 x per day.. (the small shed takes half the time as there are only in there) freshen up the water as needed.. usually 1 x per day. and change the bedding 1 x per week  and rugs 1 x per month ( all machine washable rugs)  a non wash day takes aproximately 20 min tops of clean up.  Wash day takes a little longer as we take the rugs and blankets to the local laundrymat so it can wreck their machines and not mine lol

Food is practically free for us... we feed nearly all whole prey and raw foods .. i buy a single 15kg bag of ferret food for emergencies and that will last us till spring now... 

my husband hunts and we take the ferrets out hunting every week or so from November through February.... and several of his buddies are under orders to drop off any rabbits they dont want for their own freezers in ours... we sell the excess to other ferret owners who dont hunt, we also have a very tame local butcher who keeps scraps back for us and we collect and package those once a week...

the largest added responsibility is the vet bills.. here in the UK we aren't held quite so tightly over a barell by the vets... most decent vet groups will see ferrets and charge between the cost of a cat and any other small animal... i put £5 per week.. per ferret into a jar.. the money is then used for neutering and routine exams or problems..  we have an insurance company here that covers ferrets but the price is not feasible with so many ferrets and they only cover them till the age of 5... so we opt for our own vet fund instead.

play time is a doddle really... i climb into the shed and they climb all over me... they dash through the pipes and tunnels and play peek aboo and chase .... or i'll grab a handful of 6 or so and bring them in for a bit of dash around time in the sitting room or hallway... they have more than enough room outside on their own so i dont stress them getting "exersized" just some me time...

as for going out... i take 1 at a time... generally on sunday's to the car boot sale... or if we've a day off and decide to go out for a walk or something fun like a game fair or country fair then a ferret will come along... we have our favorites for outings that come with us if the place we are going is difficult or there will be lots of dogs... but try to make sure everyone gets a chance as well...

Wanderin Weasels

• Total Posts : 393
Re:Sooo many ferrets O_o - Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:27 AM
H-m-m-m-m!  Let's see.  A few months ago we were down to two, Bethany and Toby.  We were going to keep just the two of them.  Then I went to visit Sandi @ Heaven Scent to pick up A ferret that hubby said I could adopt.  Well, you know how that goes!!  I decided to get two . . . Kris and Kaida.  Then I saw Elvis Fuzz!!  That snarl on his face from where he'd had a broken jaw called out to me!!  The tooth was resting on his face, evidently pressing on a nerve and causing him to squint with his right eye.  It was love at first sight!!  I asked Sandi if I could foster him and that I'd take him to the vet myself and see what could be done about the tooth.  Hubby said yes as long as I PROMISED to return him to the shelter when his tooth was fixed.  Sure thing Hubby!!  Well, his tooth was ground down a little to get it off of the nerve, then he developed adrenal disease so we decided to have the surgery before he got any worse, then he got a large mast cell tumor on his neck that kept getting scratched open and bled so Doc cauterized it, then he developed a lump in his side that had to be removed but luckily was begnin and then the infamous tortioned spleen that had to be removed in emergency surger to save his life!!  He is such a snuggler that Hubby fell  in love with him and had me ask Sandi if we could adopt him.  So that brought us up to five!!
 I guess the main thing is to be sure that you can afford vet care and the basics for the kids.  I'm lucky and have a wonderful vet that believes that the welfare of the animal is the most important thing.  I don't know what we'd have down without her over the past 15 years!!  But we have had as many as 12 - 15 at once!!   When we still lived in our house the kids had their own room!!  A also set my office up in there and spent lots of time in there and was constantly interacting with them.  Each one of them got one-on-one attention every day.  We took in abandoned and special needs kids and had a lot that were no longer wanted by their people.  So, you can have a large number of fuzzie and still have quality time with each one of them.  Ferret Math rules!! 
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message