Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets?
Becca

• Total Posts : 1068
  • Reward points : 0
Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:32 AM
Has anyone ever used this on their ferrets?

http://www.amazon.com/Purina-FortiFlora-Feline-Supplement-Cats/dp/B00164YL22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247537058&sr=1-1

I posted on FHL about Moe and his problems, i got some great responses, and the people are so helpful and kind.

Someone mentioned using this on his ferrets, especially one of his who has bowel problems. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it?

Thanks for making my banner 100 times ACWN!! ;)
chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:31 AM
I haven't used the Purina brand, but I do give daily Acidophilus
supplements -  I use the Marshalls Probiotics.  I have two ferts
that have had bouts of Clostridium, and this seems to help
conrol recurrances.  I also give pure pumpkin in their soup
daily to help with the loose stools.

Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:15 PM
It can be very effective in ferrets, it is also safe and another product with great results in diarrhea and intestinal ailments is Bio sponge.
http://www.entirelypets.com/platbio15cc.html

It's been studied for humans as well.

This drug has been extensively studied on human and animal patients with diarrhea and the significant results have been impressive. For example:

Has been shown to make a significant reduction in the duration of diarrhea.
Smectite diminished the bacterial mucolysis and the destruction of the luminal surface membranes of the intestinal epithelium by pathogenic bacteria in rabbits
Reduce the frequency of diarrhea in children ages 3-24 months
Diarrhea resolved faster with the use of smectite versus placebo and at least as fast under smectite as under loperamide.
Tolerance of smectite has been found to be excellent as a result of the lack of any effect on intestinal motility.
Finally, in a recent study on smectites' effect on diarrhea as well as electrolyte absorption in human patients it was shown that Smectite had no impact on the adsorption of electrolytes and that Bio could be used together with Oral Rehydration Solution in children suffering from acute gastroenteritis with mild and moderate dehydration
it was originally developed for use in animals that had been in oil spills, etc. that might have ingested the oil/toxins.

It can also be safely given along with pumpkin.
<message edited by Ferrets4 on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:16 PM>

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
chatrat

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:11 PM
Is this product for occasional bouts or as a daily supplement?
It seems very interesting as it's targeted at Clostridium.

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:25 PM
Bio sponge for cats/dogs. I hope it works better than the horse supplement.  I was not impressed with the Bi sponge for horses.  Thumbs down on the bi sponge  in the horse supplement.
<message edited by wenmister on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:26 PM>
Ferrets4

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:55 PM
wenmister

Bio sponge for cats/dogs. I hope it works better than the horse supplement.  I was not impressed with the Bi sponge for horses.  Thumbs down on the bi sponge  in the horse supplement.

I am sorry it didnt work for your horse, I guess like all things, it has different effects in different individuals and between species.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:50 PM
What work was this product -  probios

http://www.horse.com/Probios-Equine-BWA95.html
Becca

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:56 PM
chatrat

I haven't used the Purina brand, but I do give daily Acidophilus
supplements -  I use the Marshalls Probiotics.  I have two ferts
that have had bouts of Clostridium, and this seems to help
conrol recurrances.  I also give pure pumpkin in their soup
daily to help with the loose stools.

do you give all your kids the probiotics daily? Or just the ones who have had problems?
Is it a pill, or like a power? How do you give it to them? In soupies? I know the new guys i'm getting Friday have never been introduced to soups, and my boys wont touch it either! Is there another way to give it to them?

Ferrets4

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:57 PM
Yes I use that also and like it, now that I have a diabetic pet I cant use it in their soup unfortunately as it contains sucrose as the first ingredient. That may be an option for your babies though Becca. I get mine at Fleet Farm for a great price if you have any of that type of store available where you are, it was 5.95 for the 240 gram canister.

It is a powder and I add it to their soup when I serve it and they seem to love the taste of it, I suppose you could mix a little in some tone if yours dont eat soup, its not bad tasting or bitter at all.
I dont give it every day, but then mine dont have a real problem like Clostridium.
<message edited by Ferrets4 on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:11 PM>

chatrat

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:01 PM
Becca

do you give all your kids the probiotics daily? Or just the ones who have had problems?
Is it a pill, or like a power? How do you give it to them? In soupies? I know the new guys i'm getting Friday have never been introduced to soups, and my boys wont touch it either! Is there another way to give it to them?

I give it to all of them in their soup.  The label says to add 1/2 teaspoon to 8 oz. water
daily, but to change it every 24 hours.  When you have 10 it's easier to just give it to
everyone rather than trying to dose just a couple of them.  I know it's good for them
even if they don't have stomach issues, IMO.  I know there is some controversary on
how much probiotics help in ferrets as their digestive tract is so short.  I figure it can't
hurt and might possibly help, so they keep getting it. 
**Its in powder form**

chatrat

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:04 PM
Ferrets4

Yes I use that also and like it, now that I have a diabetic pet I cant use it in their soup unfortunately as it contains sucrose as the first ingredient. That may be an option for your babies though Becca. I get mine at Fleet Farm for a great price if you have any of that type of store available where you are, it was 5.95 for the 240 gram canister.

It is a powder and I add it to their soup when I serve it and they seem to love the taste of it, I suppose you could mix a little in some tone if yours dont eat soup, its not bad tasting or bitter at all.
I dont give it every day, but then mine dont have a real problem like Clostridium.

Are you refering to the Marshalls Probiotics having sucrose?   I'm confused.....LOL

Ferrets4

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:23 AM
chatrat

Ferrets4

Are you refering to the Marshalls Probiotics having sucrose?   I'm confused.....LOL

Sorry I should have clarified that, I was referring to Probios.

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:08 AM
I use the fortiflora from time to time.  Maybe about 1/3 packet twice a week in thei soup.  Sammy has been having loose stools, which we are attributing to his later stage insulinoma and higher dose of pred.  It might be psychosomatic, but we put it in there hoping that it will ease his tummy a bit.
Becca

Re:Using FortiFlora Feline Supplement for ferrets? - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:33 AM
thanks for the help everyone! i think i'll give the marshalls probotics a try. especially since Moe has had this colitis problem. current owner says he's doing better... and him and jammies will be coming home with me friday!! yayyy!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread