Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool
Rayne

• Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:49 AM
Hi all!  Once again, I need some advice. 

This past weekend, my 6 month old ferret, Belle, became very ill.  I noticed her laying on the top shelf of her cage (a place where she and her brother, Sebastian, play but never sleep).  This oddity caught my attention, so I spent the rest of the day keeping a close eye on her.  She threw up once (a clear-ish liquid with bits of food in it) and her stool was a lot lighter in color than normal.

However, she was still eating and drinking a good amount and, the next day, despite more vomiting and weird colored poo,  she seemed to have more energy.

Now her stool has resumed it's usual dark color and she hasn't been throwing up, but she still seems a little more tired than usual.

I have a vet appointment lined up for her Thursday, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had a ferret experience these problems and what it amounted to.

Also, I'm worried about Belle's weight.  I know female ferrets are typically smaller than male ferrets, but her brother (from the same litter) is like, twice her size.  Is this normal?  I'm afraid she might have lost some weight from being sick, but she was so light to begin with, I'm waiting for the vet to weigh her for an actual confirmation.  (And I'm also planning on buying my own scale for the future...anyone know of a good place to get one from? )

Thank you so much for any help or advice.  Belle and Sebastian are still so young, so I'm really worried about this. 

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
Re:Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:53 AM
Vet appointment is good.  I wish I could help you more, but it seems like you are doing everything right by keeping a close eye on her.

My boys usually are around 1000g, and my girls are around 700-800g.  So there is a size difference.  I picked up my postal scale from ebay.  But I'd keep an eye on classified ads, with companies going out of business in this economy, you might be able to pick one up at a fire sale.
lemmons105

• Total Posts : 220
Re:Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool - Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:18 AM
My male ferrets always ran around 3 to 4 lbs.  My little girl Widgy is just over a  pound and is very small.  She is 3 1/2 years old.

As far as ferrets throwing up and being lethargic - the vet should be able to  help you with that.

I just lost my older ferret to congestive heart failure 3 weeks ago and my middle ferret 's cancer has returned.  My experience with ferrets is that they do get times when they act like something is not right and I have had their poo be many different colors - black tar like stool indicates a blockage and some internal bleeding.    There systems are so sensitive that you have to watch what might wind up in their mouths.

I find one of the most important things that you can do is make sure that you give them hairball gluey stuff at least twice a week.

Let us know what you vet says.  I don't know what I would do without my vet. 
Lynne
Rayne

• Total Posts : 24
Re:Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:04 AM
Thanks everyone!  I will let you know what the vet says.  Hopefully it won't be anything serious.  Belle is back to her usual self, but I'm taking her to the appointment anyway.

What concerns me the most is that I know for a fact she hasn't gotten into anything, and also, Sebastian (her brother and cagemate) never got sick.  So it's not like she just caught a cold or something or he would've caught it too, right?

Another reason why I'm worried she's not gaining enough weight is because she always seems to "shiver" when I bring her out of the cage.  I tried putting a little ferret T-shirt on her, but she's so small she just slips right out of it.

They have a fluffy fleece bed and multiple fuzzy hammocks and I've even clipped pillow cases and towels around half the cage to try and make it a little warmer for her, but could the shivering be caused by something else?

I'll bring that up with the vet as well, but if you all have any ideas, please share. 

Thanks a ton! 
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
Re:Sick Ferret ~ Lethargic, Vomiting, Weird Colored Stool - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:10 AM

Another reason why I'm worried she's not gaining enough weight is because she always seems to "shiver" when I bring her out of the cage. I tried putting a little ferret T-shirt on her, but she's so small she just slips right out of it.

ferrets will shiver when they wake up to bring their body temperature up from the lower "resting" body temperature.

If she aspirated food, then that could have caused her to feel under the weather for a bit, and not affected Sebastian.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread