Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil
VixenPro

• Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points : 0
FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Friday, July 10, 2009 6:50 PM
I was going to buy FerreTone today since it's highly recommended on these forums, but I noticed that code-liver oil is the second ingredient. 

Fish products make ferrets stink, so why would I give my ferrets code-liver oil?   I know all the health benefits associated with the oil, I myself take it, but I don't want my ferrets to smell.  I've gone out of my way to make sure none of their foods contain fish products.

Does regular use of FerreTone make a ferret smell worse?

Does it loosen stool?

Thanks!

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Friday, July 10, 2009 7:20 PM

Does regular use of FerreTone make a ferret smell worse?

Nope.  I don't know why it doesn't make them stink, since cod liver oil is the second ingredient.  Maybe because it isn't digested (like a food) and isn't eliminated in the same way.
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Friday, July 10, 2009 7:54 PM
My fuzzies have been getting ferretone for about 1 1/2 years now. They get a very small amount every morning. Have never noticed them smelling any different. I personally don't think ferrets stink anyway.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

CCretarolo

• Total Posts : 377
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Friday, July 10, 2009 9:08 PM
It doesn't make them stink. If the cod liver oil really bothers you though, you have a few other options.

The first would be to buy the oil and combine it 50/50 with olive or emu oil. The second option would be to completely forgo the 'tone and exclusively give them a different kind of oil. The most popular oils are olive oil or emu oil. The easiest way to buy emu oil is through Totally Ferret with their Vivify oil.
VixenPro

• Total Posts : 257
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Friday, July 10, 2009 9:32 PM
Thanks, everyone!

CCretarolo, when you give olive oil, do you dribble it on their food every day?

Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:51 AM
I wouldnt put oil on the food, unless you throw it away every day, it will go rancid quickly and make them sick. Everyone has their own way of doing it but with mine we have the "weasel grease bowl" they know nothing is ever in that but their oil, they each get a small amt in this bowl and know to run straight to that bowl after ear cleaning or tooth brushing or any procedure, they get their weasel grease.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
CCretarolo

• Total Posts : 377
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:12 AM
I feed raw so a little bit goes on the food every day. I also use a mix of 'tone and olive oil for nail clipping since the smell of ferretone is what really gets them going. My current bottle only has 1/2 'tone and 1/2 olive oil. I just pour in more olive oil when I notice the bottle is running a bit low.

If you feed kibble, I would suggest feeding it from a spoon or from your fingers. I also use olive oil by itself as a training tool for Ozzy. He will still bite strangers (especially males) so I have new people rub olive oil into their hands before handling him. He immediately starts licking them and will keep on licking even after the oil is gone. So I would suggest olive oil as a tool for getting biting ferrets to trust people. It really only works if the ferret isn't a fear biter. In Ozzy's case, he's just a bit slow on learning his manners since he's a Path Valley kid.

I personally prefer olive over emu oil since it has so many other uses. You can use slightly warmed olive oil as ear cleaning drops (a lot cheaper and natural than store bought drops. It also encourages grooming). It's also a great coat conditioner after bathing or for severe cases of dry skin. I rub a few drops on my ferrets after bathing and they have never had excessive oil production after bathing. It can also be rubbed into cracked or dry paw pads as a quick moisturizer. It's also a good bonding tool for adding a new ferret to your business. Just rub olive oil all over all of the ferrets involved in the intro (make sure all of them like the oil beforehand) and put them next to each other. They will most likely start grooming each other since the olive oil smell will be stronger than the "stranger" scent. Olive oil is also a great mild laxative that is nearly impossible to overdose on. A while back, I had a blockage scare with both of my guys since they had crawled into one of my pillow cases that had a foam pillow in it. To say the least, they had a great time before I found out what they were up to. I gave each of them 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with a small amount of hairball lax and most of the foam was pooped out the next day. I gave them another tablespoon of olive oil after that just to be sure that the foam had been completely cleared out. I ended up forwarding that info to my ferret's vet and he now tells people to give high doses of olive oil when they suspect a blockage.
bindiferret89

• Total Posts : 63
Re:FerreTone = Cod-Liver Oil - Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:10 AM
My girls get Ferretone sometimes and I've never noticed a change in scent (I like  ferret smell anyway!).

Funny random story: I found out Ferretone had cod-liver oil in it after I curiously tasted it when I was 15 and THEN read the ingredients. It was horrible and I do not recommend it. :-P

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread