Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 White fur turning yellow...
Angelkissxox

• Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
White fur turning yellow... - Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:58 AM
My little boy ferret has more of a yellow color under his chin and it's suppossed to be white..is there anything I can do to make it white and not yellow..maybe baking soda? I heard that could help? idk..so any suggestions would be awesome!

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:36 AM
What type of food and treats are you giving your ferret?
Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:51 PM
Umm right now I'm feeding them 8 in 1 select blend. so is there anything I can use to whiten his fur..maybe the color rinse stuff older women use to keep their hair white..or would that be to harsh..

ACWN

• Total Posts : 1702
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Monday, March 09, 2009 12:11 AM
That stuff could make your ferret sick. Its way too harsh for them. Heck, baby shampoo is too harsh for them.

If I recall right, yellow fur has to do with diet. You might want to try slipping something else into their kibble (meaning another kibble) bits at a time so they'll get something else. Feeding them just one brand isnt really a good idea because what if you run out? What if the place you get it from stops selling it?

Ferrets sometimes tend to refuse to eat if they dont recognize what they're offered.
Rezbi

• Total Posts : 724
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Monday, March 09, 2009 12:27 AM
well, i feed 8 and 1 ultimate crunchy and evo ferret at the moment. when i got zephyr, he was already a bit yellow because of his poor diet/living conditions (slept in the same litter he had to use for a potty ). but he has become more and more yellow over time. it doesnt seem to be affecting him in any way, but its noticeable. and now that i have nimh, she is starting to get a yellow stripe down her back. she was very white with a bit of silver when i first got her, and zephyr is still very silver, but the white is mostly yellow tinged. zephyr is 2 years old, nimh is 10 months. i think someone has said it can come with age, but i dont know about that seeing as nimh is still pretty young. so in any case, i really dont know what does this. the only treat they get is ferretone, and every couple of days they get soupies with kibble, chicken baby food, a little ferretone, olive oil, and water. /shrug.

Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Monday, March 09, 2009 2:27 AM
I've heard 8 in 1 was a good brand thats what people have told me so I got that. I don't really have the money for another brand right now so I will have to wait. but what brand do you suggest thats(semi cheap) so I may get it next time..or even suggest mixture of things to buy.

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Monday, March 09, 2009 8:18 AM
Some ferrets will have a yellow tinge.  It can be due to diet and treats, but it can just be due to their body type.  The yellowish tinge is oils, so they may just be a bit more oilier than other ferrets.  It may also happen if you have a dry environment, causing the ferret to produce more oils.
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6472
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Monday, March 09, 2009 1:09 PM
check this thread
http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=101933&mpage=1&key=&#101980

8in1 makes several varieties and what you have shouldn't really be called ferret food.  nearly everyone feeds it when they first get ferrets cuz it's the only brand you can get at wal-mart, but don't do it any longer than it takes you to replace it with something better.  i have an unopened box plus a bag of ultra that i don't know what to do with.  maybe keep it for emergencies.  or not.

my frank is yellow and is showing signs of white.  he has a faint white strap across his shoulders and his tail and face are lightening up.

joe used to be yellow with black highlights.  the only yellow he has left is on his head and tail., and the black is more pronounced.

[image]local://upfiles/3837/EF353140B1B1442FAF1A26B6E64A2BC6.jpg[/image]
Attached Image(s)

Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:28 AM
Could marshalls food be making him yellow. they seem to like the 8 in 1 and I got them another kind to mix in with them it's a hartz brand. but anyways I'm going to see how this food works out and if they get better and if not is there anything I can put ON their coat to keep it white..I know they have stuff for whote dogs to help keep them white..maybe I'll try that?

Rezbi

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:08 AM
there is nothing that you can put on their coat to keep them white. DO NOT use anything of that nature. it may work for dogs but ferrets are much more sensitive to stuff put on their coat/skin, and you could seriously harm your ferret by doing that 

Snapper13

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:51 AM

Could marshalls food be making him yellow. they seem to like the 8 in 1 and I got them another kind to mix in with them it's a hartz brand

You're feeding them marshall's, 8-in-1, and hartz?  There could be some food issues going on then.
Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:05 AM
No I'm NOT feeding them marshalls I'm asking if marshalls food can make them a lil yellow because the new boy I got had been fed on marshalls and he has a lil yellow to him.

But I'm currently feeding them some harzts food and 8 in 1  I mix them together. I didn't chose harzt my mom just knew I wanted to mix my kibble with something so her being nice got me another brand of food. but she doesn't really know about food brands and stuff much but she was nice and got me another food.  So I'm going to use those two together and until they are gone.  

then I'll switch foods..   I'll post more about this on the food section instead of grooming.

(btw I WONT put anything on their fur to keep them white.)

Snapper13

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:01 AM
Since the yellowing is under his chin - is it where his lower lip would rub up against the kibble?  Could the dyes in the kibble, or the corn, be tinting the lip area?
Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:45 PM
Hmm maybe..I know he likes to dig in his food..
also could is be a possibility that if after he pee's and he lays weird could the pee  stain his coat?

WienerCat

• Total Posts : 2809
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:47 PM
my DEW Raspy eats a good diet... not many treats and turns yellow btwn coats/seasons and when the oils build up.

i had a de brasser once that you could pour into your eyes and not hurt yourself...i forget the brand cuz this was last year i use a cap full with a BUCKET of warm water two times last year and it worked like a charm.  i dont bathe my ferrets anymore really.  just twice/year now, but since last year's washing, the yellow has subsided so much i dont need that other debrasser anymore. wish i could remember the name ... ugh.
<message edited by WienerCat on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:48 PM>

unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6472
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:52 PM
i used to feed mine the premium and the select blend, but frank and joe started going white after i got them off 8in1 completely.  i now feed zupreem and evo feline, which is suposed to be almost the same as evo ferret.  frank is slooowwly going white but he is healthy and personally i love his color.  if he goes all white, that's ok too, but today i threw out the ultra and select i had left.  just too much grain and fillers.  i haven't seen the ultimate crunchy in a store yet, but if i do i will ad that to the mix for variety.  btw, snapper et. al, carol, alice and larry love nbones, and frank has gnawed one or two.  eddie and joe show no interest still.

Angelkissxox

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:53 PM

ORIGINAL: WienerCat

my DEW Raspy eats a good diet... not many treats and turns yellow btwn coats/seasons and when the oils build up.

i had a de brasser once that you could pour into your eyes and not hurt yourself...i forget the brand cuz this was last year i use a cap full with a BUCKET of warm water two times last year and it worked like a charm.  i dont bathe my ferrets anymore really.  just twice/year now, but since last year's washing, the yellow has subsided so much i dont need that other debrasser anymore. wish i could remember the name ... ugh.

if you could remember the name I'd love to find it because mine ferrets a a little bit of yellow on them and I would love to make their yellowness white again :)

Eyris

• Total Posts : 715
RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:10 PM
Noob had a lot of yellow under his neck last year. It went away over time as his coat shed again. It was nothing to worry about, just weird weather changes and what not. He actually doesn't have it this year at all.
Rezbi

RE: White fur turning yellow... - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:06 PM
im not sure what the reason is to want to artificially turn their fur white. its usually a natural process that they become yellow, although food could be the problem (at least that is what i have come to understand). switching the food would probably help. 8 in 1 ultimate crunchy is a good type if you want to stay with that brand. $8.99 on ferret.com. there are several other better brands of food on the site too that arent more than maybe $15 beside evo. also, you may just want to wait til the ferret blows their winter coat. could be white again after that. i just dont see the point of using anything to artificially do it if they are healthy otherwise or there could be a reason that can be fixed easily

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread