Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Food Comparison Chart
ferretmom

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:33 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to share the Ferret Food Comparison chart that I worked very hard on.  There is also a natural diet chart for those interested in that choice.  http://home.att.net/~ferretfriendsofpgh/foodchart.htm

Please pass it along to anyone who might benefit.  It disturbs me to see people feeding their ferrets inappropriate foods such as fruits & vegetables.  They are carnivores = MEAT.  Not grains and cereals either.

Any suggestions or comments, please pass them along!

Thanks!
Chris
sassy3n8fan

• Total Posts : 87
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:00 AM
I just wanted to interject a thought... I would take out the Innova Evo for Dogs.  Ferrets should not eat dog food of any kind, as it does not have taurine and ferrets need that. 
ferretmom

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:53 AM
Actually, that is not completely true.  True that ferrets should not eat most dog foods, except for the Innova EVO formula.  Look at the ingredients and analysis.  It far exceeds any ferret or kitten/cat food available on the market.  Innova is coming out with a ferret formula in the next few weeks; I can't wait to see the ingredients on it.

My own two vets that I cherish highly, not only recommend the Innova EVO for dogs, but feed it to their own ferrets.  My ferrets have done terrific on it for the last year and I know of many ferret breeders that have also switched to the EVO with wonderful results. 

Now, this is not my ferrets only diet; I also feed them Purina One Kitten and Zupreem Ferret along with some other high quality ferret foods from time to time.  They also get a chicken gravy and raw meats when I am able.  I only have one ferret out of 30 with IBD and they are all healthy with shiny, long coats and great muscle.

Taurine can also be found in common ferret supplements, like Ferretvite.  They don't need to have it in their food only.

Chris
Flute107

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Monday, July 10, 2006 3:22 PM
I just started giving my ferrets the Evo. They seem to like it. Has anyone heard any specs on this food? Should I keep giving it to them? Or go back to Totally Ferret?
sassy3n8fan

• Total Posts : 87
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Monday, July 10, 2006 6:18 PM
Innova Evo is supposed to be one of the best for the ferrets, but I would mix the two instead of just giving one or the other.   I  mix  Totally Ferret, Zupreem and Maxximum Kitten food to feed my herd.
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15127
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:56 PM
My furkids gets a variety of ferret food.  ( totally ferret, pro plan, evo, ferret store brand, path valley)

It's always best to mix 2 or 3 different types of ferret foods.   One reason why is ferrets imprint food smells at a very early age ... and the older they get, the less likely they will be to accept a new food (smell) as something good to eat.

This could lead to trouble if sometime down the road, your fuzzies favorite food is suddenly not manufactured anymore -or- changed the formula, or if you should move, and it is not available in your area.  

When you introduced a new food/Kibble  you cannot just give him the new mixture all at once, or you will have a ferret with an upset tummy on your hands. You need to add the new food to his current diet very slowly. For the first two or three days, add only about 10% of the new food to his current food. If after 2 or 3 days he seems to be eating fine, and his stools look okay, add 20% of the new food .....and so on.

I hope this helps - Wendy

Sasy

• Total Posts : 152
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:47 PM
In the past I've used Totally Ferret, Zupreme, Natural Balance Cat Food and Mazuri in some combination or another.  I found a local source of the Evo and wanted to try it.  The current mix is Zupreme, Evo and Natural Balance, and I've noticed the poos are a little bit stinker than in the past.   I suspect the herring meal in the Evo has something to do with it.
Marie

• Total Posts : 53
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:30 PM
I think it´s a great idea with a ferret food comparison chart
I hope that it´s ok that i post the link on a danish forum, cause i havn´t found anything like that up until now.
Unfortunatly most of the products are not sold in Denmark (or i just havn´t heard about it).
RenegadeWoozel

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:23 PM
Thanx for this very informative chart! I didn't know which food was better till now. When I get a ferret..... eventually.... now I will know what to get and what not to get!
jaxprog

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:51 PM
Chris,

I agree! Meat Only. I fed my Ferrets left over Brisket from Rudy's BBQ as well as sausage. I took the meat and pulverized it in a mini food processor so that consumption was easier. They chowed down on that meat like there was no tomorrow.

As far as store food, my most perferred food Wysong Archtype I and the second chioce is Zupreem. I cringe to see all the non meat ingredients in the these store brand foods, but Wysong and Zupreem are the least of the evils, espcially Wysong Archtype I. Their Archtype II is not that great, but Archtype I rocks!
Animal_Freak_309

• Total Posts : 223
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:28 AM
This is a pretty good chart!  I agree with Wenmister!  I am going to have to start mixing food.  I never thought of that!

What type of food should I mix with 8-1 Ultimate?
Ferrets:
Girls - Akasha, Sage, & Skadi
Boys - Rambo AKA Bo, & Legolas AKA Lego's

Birds:
Girls - Lelu & Brassy
Boys - Jack & Corbin

Kitty! Ms. Queen Patches!
Buck

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Saturday, September 09, 2006 11:53 AM
WOW I  wish i would have found that chart two days ago! i just bought an 8lb bag of the KAYTEE Forti-Diet.... they wont even touch the stuff! (neither will I, it stinks so bad! ) Now they want me to ship it from wasington to wisconsin for a refund! it will cost almost as much as the refund for shipping of the stuff!! But i have been wondering about a good qualitiy food to get them. they sem to like the marshalls, but i like the write up on the EVO. maybe i'll hold off until the ferret formula comes out and see about doing a switch then.
Daddy to the three stooges
bengi

• Total Posts : 11
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:43 PM
I was just wondering, Ive been hearing that people mix up to 3 different types of food, but how do you know how much of each to give?? Each has a different amount of Nutrition value, you must know how much to give of each or your ferret will have too much of something. Do you measure it out in a measuring cup or give a rough estimate and dump it into the bowl.. Do you mix the food or do you just layer it ontop of eachother. Id like to know all your secrets. Thanks guys
HelloKitty

• Total Posts : 74
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:55 PM
I have a big plastic rubbermaid "jar" that I use.  I put about 1 part of each type of food into the jar and mix it up.  I use Zupreem, Totally Ferret Active, Totally ferret Baby and 8-in-1 Ultimate.
Marie

• Total Posts : 53
RE: Ferret Food Comparison Chart - Friday, September 15, 2006 11:06 AM
Bengi: If all the different types of food you mix together lives up to the nutritional needs of a ferret, there is no need to measure how much they get from each.
I have a bucket that can contain about 2-3 kg kibble, and i just mix a bit of each foodtype in it. I always have 2-4 different types of food in it.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread