Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How much is too much olive oil?
Tootie

• Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
How much is too much olive oil? - Monday, March 02, 2009 10:01 AM
Farrah loves the sound of this one particular squeaky toy. Every time I squeak it, she comes to me. I give her a little olive oil (a few drops) that I have in a kitten bottle to reward her. But recently, I've noticed she's been chewing on or eating yesterdays news. So I'll giver her a little extra olive oil to help flush out what she might have eaten. I don't have any ferret lax or any other supplement made for ferrets because I was told that olive oil "does it all" without all the sugar and fish oils. Is this bad?

WeLoveOurWeasels

• Total Posts : 151
RE: How much is too much olive oil? - Monday, March 02, 2009 11:01 AM
1 teaspoon olive oil a day is all you need.

Here is a crosspost from ferret village. You used to be able to veiw the posts without being a member but now you can't.

"Over the years Olive oil has been used by ferret owners for a number of diffrent things and it is very versatile and good for a ferrets health one tsp a day added to raw food or given seperatly can aid health in a number of ways it is good for the coat aiding shine and helps fur/whiskers remain flexable it also acts as a natural lubricant ( so removes the need for laxatives ) olive oil is also an excellent ear cleaner a few drops of warm oil dripped in each ear and massaged down helps bring dirty wax to the surface and ears can easily be wiped clean with a little cotton wool because of its oil properties it also helps keep the ear lubricated and does not encourage the ferret to produce excessive ear wax to replace gunk that has been removed Olive oil is also good for dry skin and itching in ferrets a little massaged on to a humans hands then gently massaged into a ferrets skin where needed ( in the case of adrenal ferrets ) helps prevent dry skin and reduce itching its also harmless should a ferret decide to lick it ( licking bare skin stimulates blood flow and helps improve skin!) lots of you maybe thinking surely thats all it can be used for not so Olive oil is also a great foot tonic for a ferret a little rubbed into pads and nails helps prevent cracking of pads and splitting of nails all in all Olive oil is a cheap and usefully ingredient for any ferret first aid box and best of all its Natural ! take care bye for now
crazy lady"
~Jessica~

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
RE: How much is too much olive oil? - Monday, March 02, 2009 12:48 PM
Here are some info I found on Olive oil.  I think I would stick with vaseline, kittymalt.  If I knew my ferret got into something.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL4055

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG10049

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG3526

Olive oils and butter do NOT help blockages pass. They actually take longer to digest so can slow digestion and since they are normally digested they can't "grab" onto things like petroleum jelly based animal laxatives do to help pull them through. The exception is giving more of any type of fat/oil than the ferret can deal with and that can cause bird seed stools with diarrhea.

Please feel free to do your own search in the ferrethealth list archive.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/search.cgi

I hope this helps....
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
RE: How much is too much olive oil? - Monday, March 02, 2009 12:55 PM
For a sugar-free laxative (since I have two guys with insulinoma) I either use vaseline w/ferretone, or the vetbasis hairball gel.  If i'm concerned about a blockage, I use the vaseline.  If it's more of a "well being" treatment, I use the vetbasis stuff.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread