Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HELP! Ferret Shaking
Clarkie

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:16 PM
My normally just lazy ferret Farrah is shaking and extremely tired. She seems to "shiver" like shes cold, but its not cold in here. I called the vet, they recommended an emergency vet near me until morning but I HATE them, they nearly killed my cat with an overdose so i refuse to go there. They told me to give her 1/4 tsp honey until tomorrow when i can get her there but I dont know what else to do-- any suggestions?/? 
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 2641
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:32 PM
When is she shaking. According to one of my ferret books, shaking can be a sign of excitement, my boys all shake when I come home to visit, esp when I first pick them up or right before we play. Im sure there are many other causes too though. Maybe they can give you the name of another emergency vet.   How old is she? Has she had any other previous problems? Any other symptoms? Could she have possibly gotten into something she shouldnt have? is the shaking constant or only at certain times?
<message edited by lnsybean44 on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:33 PM>
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:34 PM
Has she been sick?  What other symptom has she shown?

Ferrets shiver for many reasons, most common reason  is to raise the body tempeature after sleeping half the day away.  Ferrets may shiver when being
scruff or when they are excited.
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:38 PM
They told you to give her honey because they aperantly suspect her blood sugar needed to be raised. is it a shake or a convulsion? is there a blank stare when it happens?
merrydorrell

• Total Posts : 429
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:58 PM
yea my ferrets shake all the time when i first let them out of the cage or when ever i pick them up i talked to my vet about it and she said it was normal.....
*merry*
Ferreting since 2006
Roxy 5, Slinky 5, tilli 3
RIP Roo! 9.5
hermitcrabbing since 2007
Clarkie

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:15 PM
ok....so she stopped shaking...BUT i still think she is sick. She also appears to have a "cold" today...sneezing with clear discharge. I figured the honey was to raise her blood sugar...but she has been eating so idk if thatll do any good...but im gonna do it in a minute...shes sleeping now (she sleeps MUCH more than my other two). She was on an antibiotic previously for "bacteria" in her stool. I gave her the 10 days of that as told, and her stool returned to normal. So im at a loss, I mean I've only had her since Thanksgiving (November 20something) and at first she was rather playful, but either due to an illness I am unaware of, or just her natural personality, she is a super sleepy ferret. Could this just be her personality? I mean shell eat, drink, and rarely chase my feet, but compared to her two cagemates, she is a snuggler and just wants to rest constantly.  Ok so i went off topic a lot, but I just am trying to figure out these possibly related/unrelated symptoms/characteristics. Im bringing her to the vet tomorrow...bleh. :(
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:21 AM
Let us know what the vet says.  Her lethargy could be her personality (we have one that woudl rather be held and carried and petted) or it could be that the antibiotics for the bacteria didn't do the trick yet.
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6471
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:23 PM
yeah, larry and joe like to be carried most of the time.  i fshe's sneezing with a clear discharge, she cold have a flu.  they get them.  all 5 of mine had it at once, and 3 (humans) in my family have it now.  they've been very careful not to handle the ferts, and so far they haven't gotten sick.  i hope that's all it is, if it's even that much, but there's not much you can do to treat it, except let her sleep.  my gang got over it in about 3 days each.  the whole episode for 5 of them lasted about 6 days. i'm sure they got it from us because we all got sick around the same time. 
at least the vet can get a temperature which might help comfirm it and make sure her lungs are clear.  and again, mine seem to be sleeping more recently.  could be a winter behavior thing. or maybe they hate my new schedule.
<message edited by unclejoe on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:35 PM>

Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:04 PM
My Pippin was in the animal hospital for 2 weeks and brought home a virus and as of right now 5 of my 6 have the same symtoms, its like a flu and keep her warm, make sure she is eating and drinking and if she gets worse time for the vet, they can go downhill very quickly especially from dehydration. Pick up her scruff and count the seconds that it tents and doesnt go down, if its over 3 seconds she is very dehydrated and needs fluid therapy.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
Clarkie

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:12 PM
ok so I brought her in--she did stop shaking and was awake and alert but I brought her anyways. Took another stool sample in and was told it was "good". Honestly, I think I know more than these vets, I've been to many diff. vets in my area searching for one who specializes in small animals and they all seem clueless. The last one upon giving me anti-biotics told me "Here's a small amount I don't want her to overdose and die". Very scary--I am just doing as everyone said, assuming she has a flu. I also put her in a steamy room and applied a tiny amount of vaporub on her nose to keep the snot from clogging her breathing. I read that this was safe somewhere, is it? Also, she still has antibiotics from the "bacteria" she had in her stool a while back. Its still good, should I try another round of this? Any suggestions would literally be more helpful then the vets around here. 
Ferrets4

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:32 PM
Everything you did is good except for the vapo rub please remove it, they can have serious reactions to it........just the humidity will help more than anything but please no Vicks

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ferrethealth/message/9054
<message edited by Ferrets4 on Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:34 PM>

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6471
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Friday, February 13, 2009 10:06 AM
we use something called ferretRx by marshall's for sniffles.
larry is on bactryl (antibiotic)  he's about 2.4 lb and he gets .2 ml twice a day.

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Friday, February 13, 2009 11:38 AM
ferretRx  will clean out anyone nose......that stuff is stronger than vicks.
Clarkie

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Friday, February 13, 2009 3:57 PM
EEK! Thanks much for the warning about Vicks!  So should I use the rest of the antibiotic or no?
Ferrets4

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Friday, February 13, 2009 5:19 PM
Always finish an antibiotic course. If you stop it can lead to the bacteria getting a resistance to the antibiotics so please finish giving it as long as was prescribed.

Clarkie

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Friday, February 13, 2009 10:39 PM
no see I did do its course of 10 days. What Im asking is, since there is still a lot left, and it doesnt expire for a while longer, should I/ can I use it now?
Ferrets4

RE: HELP! Ferret Shaking - Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:11 AM
I am not sure and that is something you would have to ask the vet. Usually once they are reconstituted they dont keep long, the expiry date is for the dry before it is reconstituted.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread