Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret pooping outside litter box
ferretaddict

• Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret pooping outside litter box - Friday, January 09, 2009 8:58 PM
What can I do to correct my ferret Tasha from pooping on different levels of the cage? Most of the time she goes in the litter box but sometimes she will poop in different corners on different levels of the cage.
merrydorrell

• Total Posts : 429
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Friday, January 09, 2009 9:20 PM
i've had this problem myself and i can honestly tell you that it's alot of hard work to get them to not do it. i've gotten to the point of putting the shelves in a bleach/water solution for about 10 minutes wash the shelf off then repeat for about 5 minutes and it pretty much has stopped. but i remember reading one person said that she took all her shelves out of her cage and only uses the hammocks that they sleep in it's pretty neat but your best bet would be to check out the training forum

http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=57905

hope this helps!
*merry*
Ferreting since 2006
Roxy 5, Slinky 5, tilli 3
RIP Roo! 9.5
hermitcrabbing since 2007
Mrichy555

• Total Posts : 53
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:43 AM
YEa I have this same problem. I removed the shelves and Mia popps with 100% success in the litterbox.. put shelves back she starts pooping on the first shelf.
Rezbi

• Total Posts : 724
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:01 AM
have you guys tried covering the shelves with fabric? i had this same problem when i first got suki. i did the whole -take the shelves out for a while, put them back in only to be pooped on again- routine for a while. then after i made covers for all the shelves. it stopped almost completely. with the exception of a few times, i had a much higher litter box success rate after doing this. also, if there are too many corners, it may make it confusing. put things in the corners of the shelves where she likes to go. i have tied a couple stuffed animals (no buttons or eyes of course), and a favorite for the fuzzies is a sock, stuffed with more socks, then tied through the cage in the corner (they use it as a toy).

you may also just downsize on the number of shelves. start with just one, cover it with fabric, and fill the corners. see how that goes for a week or 2. with a high success rate, you can add another covered shelf. rinse and repeat suki's problem was there were just too many places that seemed like potties fabric makes them think that its a nice place to lounge!
ferretaddict

• Total Posts : 19
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:38 AM
My shelves are plastic.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10185
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:52 AM

My shelves are plastic.

cover them with fabric or put old clothes on them.
Rezbi

• Total Posts : 724
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: ferretaddict

My shelves are plastic.

i get that. mine are too. you can make covers that tie or slip on, or just cover them with clothes like snapper said. it really does help. if you just put blankets or cloth on top, tie them to the bars of the cage so they cant be dragged away
<message edited by Rezbi on Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:03 AM>
merrydorrell

• Total Posts : 429
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:08 PM
i cover my shelves with fleece blankets it took a few days but they learned not to pooh on the shelves

they use to move the blankets and scoot back in the corners. 2 times of cleaning it up and putting the blanket back they got the point
*merry*
Ferreting since 2006
Roxy 5, Slinky 5, tilli 3
RIP Roo! 9.5
hermitcrabbing since 2007
fortheloveofferret

• Total Posts : 184
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:47 PM
You just have to set the cage up so there's only one place for her to do her business - in the litter box. Like a few others mentioned, cover the areas you don't want her to poop with blankets or something. I have the FN 142 cage and it's laid out like this: Top shelf is the eating level, just food and water bowls; The top full level is covered with blankets and sleeping sacks; The bottom shelf is covered with a blanket and behind the ladder I have a "cuddle cup" (a round bed) that attaches to the cage so it can't be moved; The bottom full level has an extra large litter box on one half, and the other half is a pile of blankets. Most normal ferrets won't pee or poop where they have to eat or where they might sleep, so with this set up, the litter box is the only place my ferrets will go. Also, how big is your litter box? Some ferrets have no problem using the smaller sized boxes, but the majority will prefer a larger box (more places to poop, it doesn't get as dirty as fast). I actually use a storage tub (it's a Sterilite 27 or 28 quart "under the bed" tub). It fits perfectly in the FN cage. You can cut one of the sides lower for easier entrance. Good luck with Tasha!

and me, Jessica
My ferret photo album: http://photobucket.com/dookersdelight
Ferret Trio

• Total Posts : 1
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:19 PM
Hey guys,

A little new to this so any help you could give me would be great....

My ferret lewie has decided to poop up a certain wall when i get him out for exercise. I pick him up when he does this....tell him NO....and then put him in his litter tray. This isn't working at all. Once ive put him down he becomes extremly giddy, making load playful noices and to him it is a game.

Any ideas as to what i can do?
Smilefac19

• Total Posts : 1473
RE: Ferret pooping outside litter box - Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:18 PM
You could try putting something in that same spot where he poops. This might help him realize this is not a comfortable spot to poop. I would recommend cleaning the area first so that there is no ferret poop smell to draw him over to that spot. Or you could just give in and put a ferret poop tray there.

Mommy loves you Houdini and misses you very much!!!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread