Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Skinny ferret
kalibuhler

• Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:52 AM
I have a 3 year old female ferret who is pretty skinny, she has been most of her life, but at present she seems really small. Are some ferrets just really skinny? My other 3 year old female is really fat, 3 pounds!! Anyway, does anyone have suggestions on fattening up a skinny fert? She will not eat meat at all (unless I give her the broth). Any help is much appreciated   
I wish I could speak ferret...
chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:18 AM
It's really hard to get them to try new foods. But if your persistant, you can usually
win them over.  I have a "recipe" that is guaranteed to fatten them up.  Start with about half a jar of stage 2 chicken or turkey baby food.  Dilute it down with half water and half Pedialyte (mine like the fruit flavor) You can also add Ferrevite or Ferretone whichever they prefer to sweeten it up.  I also add a little pure pumkin to mine and Activia yogurt.  If you give this 1-2 times a day, you will see a difference in her weight. Two of mine have had different bacterias, so the yogurt is very beneficial  in replacing the good flora, also, it helps their poos be more normal. Start off by letting her lick it from your finger (if shes stubborn, put a little of it on her mouth so she will lick it)  Once you get her to take it from your finger, try putting it in a small saucer or shallow bowl.  If you think she has had a weight loss recently, you might want to consider a vet check just to be on the safe side.  Good luck~

jen21074

• Total Posts : 425
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:21 AM
When I found Cooper, she was as bony as they come, the poor thing... Ferretone and good quality food worked somewhat with me. I couldn't get her to eat raw, but she LOVED ferretone... She was just a very, small petite ferret. She never got over 2 pounds.   

We have 6 cats - Peppy, Phil, Harry - missing =(, Jackson, Keenan & Maisy
Our dog - Roscoe and a million fish...

[link=http://www.myspace.com/jen21074]www.my
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:51 AM
my cloe is very skinny.she was awful when I got her but now she is just little.shes old too,but I have gotten her to gain weight but she is never going to bne a chunky as some of my other guys.I have had her like a year and a half and know she eats well.
alliemackie

• Total Posts : 313
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:58 AM
I'd say just monitor her eating/pooping/overall dietary habits. Also, as always with ferrets, be sure that they test negative for ADV, and that no other health problems seem to be present.

If everything seems normal, and she's eating a decent amount, then I wouldn't worry. Palom eats like a pig, and is a bit chubby with baby fat, but Porom, who eats a bit less, is somewhat skinny, not a lot of extra weight on her. She eats well, poops well, plays like a maniac and just got a clean bill of health from the vet. So I'm not worried.

tdawg

• Total Posts : 94
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:09 AM
I would try eggs, my fuzzies love them since i stared to give eggs to them and itty bittty has gain a bunch of weight
pentacle565

• Total Posts : 1379
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:55 AM
Make sure she isn't competing with anyone for food. Its fall, and I was expecting the winter weight to start coming on. Kitiara was gaining like crazy, but if anything Flash was getting thinner. I was very confused and worried, so I decided to very closely observe a feeding time. I put their dish of raw in as usual, and noticed right away what the problem was. Every time Flash picked up food, Kit would grab it from his mouth and run off with it. I am now separating them for feeding time, and have already notice him packing it on.
kalibuhler

• Total Posts : 27
RE: Skinny ferret - Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:23 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice!! She is mostly healthy, she has stomach issues and gets colitis and blockages (she loves eating carpet), but right now everything is good and she has a lot of energy. I will try everything and see how it works out! 
I wish I could speak ferret...
Wilywind

• Total Posts : 75
RE: Skinny ferret - Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:41 AM
Ha ha, I was just coming here to ask the same question.  Glad I found this.

Your little girl sounds just like Tikka.  Stomach problems and eating carpet too.  You know you love your fuzz butts when you pull all the carpet out of the house.
<message edited by Wilywind on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:42 AM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message