Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal?
Snuggles143

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:37 PM
We are new ferret parents and are completely happy with our little snuggles.  She has attached herself to all three of our cats and they are like family.  I was hoping someone on thus board could help me with a few general questions I have.  I"m not sure if its normal or not. 
It seems like she sneezes a lot.  We do have three cats and it creates some hair/dust bunnies but I am very clean with the house so I know It can't be be just that.  LOL  sometimes I think I should wrap her in a swiffer and let her go nuts under my base boards and under the furniture   Does anyone else experinece the sneezing?  Does anyone else have cats that love their ferrets?

[image]local://upfiles/3141/89CB92CB9F8C42B0B9DE1D6F96D365D0.jpg[/image]
Attached Image(s)
Jaycee

• Total Posts : 774
RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:44 PM
Ours sneeze a lot too.  It scared me at first, but I think it is completely normal.  They have sensitive respiratory tracts.  Dust, cleaning chemicals, powder...these can all irritate their system.  It is best to keep them away from these if possible.  This is also why it isn't recommended to use cat liter as ferret litter...too much dust.  Hope this helps. 

My two newest fuzzies: Mia and Watson (not pictured)
Forever in my heart: Whisp

Saving the world, one ferret at a time!
chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:00 PM
Jaycee is right........if you ever noticed, they always have their nose on the floor........ Their bound to pick up alot of dust no matter how clean your house is.    However, if you notice discharge from her nose, it could be a cold.  As long as she is playing, eating, and pooping as normal, there shouldn't be any worries.  I love your pix........my girls love our 2 cats also.............unfortunately, the feelings aren't mutual.......  ......

Snuggles143

RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:42 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!   I didn't worry at first but she kept doing it - I am a animal lover and have had many cats dogs horses so I know to look for snots and I haven't seen any yet.  Good to know I'm on the right track.  She so cute when she does it

Off subject rant to the day:
I used to work at a pet store when I was a kid and from that point on I always had a misconception of ferrets being 'stinky rats'  They always bit me and they were so crazy!  I felt bad for them so when i cleaned their cage i'd let out and omg!  they scared me.  So after hearing many yrs of stories and seeing cool ferrets I said I want one.  So went out and bought the smallest one in the cage - She was the first to wake up and she didn't bite me at all.  Snuggled right into my arms and just looked at me "take me out of here please!"  So that was her story - one day one she has been the best ferret ever!  Not stinky at all - she has a musty smell but I keep  her cage clean and she is pretty tidy herself.  We have never had a biting problem (knock on wood) she used to nibbles but we tried the bite hold method and scruffed her a few times - she got he hint.  We try to keep in in the LR as much as possible so we shut the door and put a latch so she can't open it and she knows when she's not suposse dto be out there.  So she just sits at the doors staring at the hallway praying one of her cat buddies will come play with her.   I have a funny video I will try to upload of what they do.  She gets on top of the chair near the AC and puts her face in the coldness lol then sneezes. LOL  She provides hour of amusement to us and I couldn't be happier.  TOH calls me the crazy ferret lady because I talk to her funny and it drives him nuts - and I have a straw bag that I take her places with.. and of course a harness - She loves the car - she sleeps on my lap

[image]local://upfiles/3141/B1283D4C2A634341963C8542BFA25F29.jpg[/image]
<message edited by Snuggles143 on Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:57 PM>
Attached Image(s)
Snuggles143

RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:55 PM
Just a few more :)

[image]local://upfiles/3141/54DD345DE5FC4CF48F0D354B1C66D558.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/3141/F1711C85A75048DCA007E09E3C2FF5BB.jpg[/image]
<message edited by Snuggles143 on Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:56 PM>
Attached Image(s)
bumblebeejuna

• Total Posts : 484
RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Monday, August 11, 2008 12:27 AM
Snuggles looks like SUCH a sweetheart!  I can really see it in her photos. 
Snuggles143

RE: My ferret is Sneezing alot - is that normal? - Monday, August 11, 2008 12:40 AM
Thanks!  She really is!  We love her so much - matter of fact she's running around right now 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread