Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How do I know if my ferret is sick?
mdcichy

• Total Posts : 437
  • Reward points : 0
How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 10:42 AM
How can I tell if Mr B is sick?  The last two nights when I put him to bed he has been digging all of his food out of his bowl and just not acting like himself.  It is like he is throwing a temper tantrum which is not like him.

[image]local://upfiles/2842/0CB44A58B2D047769A182E53B36F5CB3.jpg[/image]
Attached Image(s)
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 10:54 AM
You know I always say -you know your animal,If you feel like in your gut he isnt ok -take him to a vet.to me and my ferrets digging in a bowl is normal.So that alone wouldnt make me think anything is wrong.
mdcichy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 10:55 AM
I also forgot to mention that we got Sam about 2 months ago.  The last week Mr B has become more like himself but he also feels like he is losing weight.  Could this all be because he is still getting used to her?
mdcichy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 10:58 AM
Thank you.  That makes me feel better.
tanglefootkids

• Total Posts : 1871
RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 2:26 PM
I have a dedicated food digger...Jessie!  She likes to dig the food out, *find it* in the blankets, then eat it. And her most endearing bad habit..standing INSIDE the food dish to get a drink from  the water dish.  I imagine the other ferts waking up to eat, ambling over to the food, taking a sniff..and grumbling " Awww..this smells like feet!"     silly fuzzies
mdcichy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 2:34 PM
That would be great if he actually ate it.  He digs it out then leaves it.  I wind up throwing it away because he won't eat it.  So this is totally normal?
christy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 8:13 PM
he he he! ferrets will dig ANYTHING!!!!! potted plants, food dish, litterbox, anything! sugar and ziggy (my babies) wont leave it in the bowl sometimes I think I will just start dumping it on the floor of the cage and save them the trouble! I havent but one of these days.........
also maybe the new ferret brought some sickness into the house .....like worms or ece. Hiows the poopy? ANything weird or runny? remember just because you dont see the tapeworm larve in the stool doesnt mean they arent there. they arent shed with every bowl movement.this could be a reason for weight loss. ALso he could be hiding the food so he doeant have to share it. I got 2 ferrets from a man who fed them once a day. ferrets need food 24/7 not just 1 feeding so when I got them they were hoarders they would stash food every minute thats all they did when they were awake was arrange food.also he fed them ol roy dog food- that isnt even good enough for dogs.
About him not eating it when he digs it out-he will just leave it in there until he does.mine will dig it out....and finish the food in the bowl FIRST then go for whats left.I tidy the cage through out the day (I stay at home) so I wind up throwing it back in the bowl.
ferrets are weird little creatures that often keep us wondering...Dont worry too much.
mdcichy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 8:30 PM
Thanks.  I did not know I was supposed to quarentine my ferret when I brought her home and she had a parasite.  Mr B and Sam were both treated for it and they were done with there medication on Thurs.  I always have the food in the bowl so if they get hungry they have it no matter what.  So in other words it is a phase that will probably never go away?
christy

RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Monday, May 26, 2008 9:11 PM
thats possible, although not a rule they do stuff sometimes and it could go on for weeks or months and then one day just stop or never stop.......who knows what they are thinking sometimes.
I had a litter digger for a while and then she quit sometimes she will again when I put the new litter back inthe cage she will roll around in it and dig but it used to be every time.
awagaman

• Total Posts : 334
RE: How do I know if my ferret is sick? - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:54 AM
You said you just recently got a new ferret... It could be that the original one is adjusting to having the new one around. He might be moody or withdrawn because you got a new baby in the house!
Also, depending on where you live, he could just be losing his winter weight and getting fit for the summer.
If the parasites were treated, and he still isn't back to normal...keep these things in mind.
There are no bad pets, only bad pet owners!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread