Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How to know when to put down a ferret?
Llathos

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
How to know when to put down a ferret? - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:39 PM
This is pretty tough.  Nikki is my first and oldest ferret.  She's 8 years old and a Marshall from the pet store.  She's been diagnosed with insulinoma, adrenal disease, and she's blind.  Her hind legs are really weak and she doesn't walk well.  She doesn't get out of bed when I come in anymore, and she can't make it to the litter pan either.  Sometimes she even falls in her own pee and poop because of her weak legs.

The vet gave her a series of shots for the adrenal and pred for the insulinoma, but told me that things don't look good.  He gave her 4-8 months, and that was 5 months ago. 

She's really sweet and still licks my nose when I hold her. 

How do people decide?  I can't tell if she's in pain...
pentacle565

• Total Posts : 1379
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:43 PM
it really is your judgement call. If she isn't geting anything out of life anymore, is in pain, suffering, and can't get better.... If she's telling you she's ready to go, let her go, but if she's fighting and hanging onto life, don't take it from her. Its an awful decision to have to make, and its one we ferret owners will all have to make, sooner or later. We are there for you, and we understand what you are going through.  
meli

• Total Posts : 448
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:11 PM
I agree with pentacle. I had a chihuahua who was 16 years old. She died on her own which I felt was a better choice then putting her down. Still she died of old age and didn't have any diseases or illnesses. You choice is  not going to be easy, but please know whatever you decide won't be look badly upon. Sorry about your situation.
<message edited by meli on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:12 PM>
Nells Mom

• Total Posts : 753
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:19 PM
I am a firm believer in Quality vs Quantity. 

Is she able to run and play even at a slow pace?  Is she eating and drinking?  If you were in her shoes is this the life you would want to lead?

It's a tough call, but sometimes you just have to do the humane thing. 

Lorraine
Nell and Buddy's Mom
Llathos

• Total Posts : 2
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:30 PM
Honestly, she's never been the same since she lost her "sister" ferret about 4 years ago to a bad vaccine reaction.

My only consolation is that when I take her out of her bed and put her on the floor, she does walk around and explore.  She does seem to get a little excited when I play with her.  She definitely still gets out of bed to eat and drink, but sometimes she can't get back in her hammock and just lays on the cloth strips I have in their cage.

It's really sad and I'm just not sure what to do.  I wish she could tell me if it hurts or if she's miserable...
Findunk

• Total Posts : 540
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:40 AM
Best wishes with your decision-  I agree with the others.  We are thinking of you.
Lua

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:30 AM
If she wakes up by herself (prednisone might help, Lua is a tornado with it, she would kill to go out of her cage), eats and drinks without forcing (prednisone effect again). Your ferret would probably very lethargic without prednisone, but let's take advantage of it. I would let her live until she cant anymore, not going out of her bed, looking in pain (half closed eyes, complains...), not eating...I would keep her confortable, like I do with my sick Lua. But it is your call....(the vet gave Lua few weeks to live...a year ago).
I love you LUA

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:52 PM
"My only consolation is that when I take her out of her bed and put her on the floor, she does walk around and explore.  She does seem to get a little excited when I play with her.  She definitely still gets out of bed to eat and drink, but sometimes she can't get back in her hammock and just lays on the cloth strips I have in their cage."

my opinion:  she's not ready to go yet.  She sees you and wants you to be with her.  she also gets out and explores.

hang the hammock lower, or forgo it altogether and put a bed in instead.

I have heard that getting a late-stage insulinomatic ferret riled up isn't good, since it causes their blood sugar to be used up even more for that activity.  If she does it herself, that's one thing.

You'll know when it's time.  She will have decided herself that it is time to go and will stop eating on her ow, and won't have the energy to do anything.  At that time you have to make the decision on force feeding her (is she just sick?) or putting her down.
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:56 PM
I have a hammock for rocky that almost touches the floor,he hasnt had any trouble but I think he is a bit authritic so I make things easy for him.Also if you have a 1 story cage like a my first home that would be great for an older ferret having problems getting around.I wouldnt do anything yet.you will just know.I know its hard to explain but one day you will just know.
Mick and Sue

• Total Posts : 54
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Sunday, May 18, 2008 3:19 AM
Our Doris suffered Lymphoma Carcenoma. We are still in awe that she made 3 months after diagnosis.
Even though her glands had become swollen, she still ate and showed no signs of being in pain. Her eyes then became glaucomic. They seem to have a film over them. Still she ate, drank, had her medication each night and still no evidence of pain.
Then one morning...yesterday, she was bleeding blood from the mouth.It was dark blood. I knew then the time had come.
It was the hardest day of my life. I believe in many things.
1) We have no right to take the life of an innocent.
2) I neither eat or wear animal products so you can appreciate the sadness.

I was with her right until the end.I held her in my hands as the vet allowed me to anaesthetise her before she was given the injection. My first time.
I took solace in the fact that she was no longer suffering and that she was now playing with Ralph and that George would be joining them soon.( he has Insulinoma and like Doris, is 8+ yrs)

I think you just know in your heart when the time is right.

Central Coast Ferret welfare/Rescue. NSW Australia.
Lua

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:19 AM
Mike and Sue, I am so sorry for your lil one. 
<message edited by Lua on Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:20 AM>
I love you LUA

Mick and Sue

• Total Posts : 54
RE: How to know when to put down a ferret? - Monday, May 19, 2008 3:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Lua

Mike and Sue, I am so sorry for your lil one. 

Thank you so much Lua. Like with our Ralph, time does not seem to ease the hurt.Thankfully we have 24 more to love & hug.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Central Coast Ferret welfare/Rescue. NSW Australia.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread