Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do ferrets stink?
bigsis7

• Total Posts : 1056
  • Reward points : 0
Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:24 PM
I have read that they stink, but that some people don't mind it. Is it really bad? What does it smell like? My mom is very picky about smell so if I get a ferret it can't be super stinky. If it is really bad is there a way to help keep it down?

Signature by xvelvetfuzzbuttx
Ferretlvr

• Total Posts : 132
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:31 PM
Well ferrets have a musky scent. It doesnt bug me but it does too some people. To reduce the smell you should clena the litter 2 times a day and change the bedding often. They sell ferret "perfumes" to cover the scent which I find work great! But you should check with the forum to make sure the product is safe before you use it on your ferret.
Happy Dooking!
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:42 PM
FRITOS!!!!! the little devils smell like fritos.or sunchips.I myself like it.If you keep their cage clean (clean it out every day)and dump the litter every day they wont stink.Anything that isnt kept clean WILL stink from hamsters to dogs to ferrets animals are gross and do gross things(ever see a dog roll on something dead?)as long as you keep thing clean you arnt going to have an odor issue.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:06 PM
All animals (including humans) have odors and scents.  You can keep ferret odor down by cleaning the litter box at least twice a day, using a good absorbant litter, keeping the cage clean, and feeding a high quality food.  You will also want the ferret to be kept in a well-ventilated area.
bigsis7

RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:22 PM
Ok. Thanks! I love the smell of frito's and sun chips so I wouldn't have a problem with that! lol!

hales

• Total Posts : 156
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: christy

FRITOS!!!!! the little devils smell like fritos.or sunchips.

hahaha i always said that my dog's paws smelled like fritos, and EVERYONE thought i was crazy..

I'm glad someone else can finally recognize that smell!

As for ferrets, yes they have a musk...odor can be controlled as long as you take care of them properly....and ya know what? YES, I like how they smell!
christy

RE: Do ferrets stink? - Sunday, March 02, 2008 11:57 PM
I started useing a new downey (with febreeze in it)And now they are starting to smell like it.????
TheCritterChick

• Total Posts : 79
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 03, 2008 8:52 AM

I started useing a new downey (with febreeze in it)And now they are starting to smell like it.????

Your kidding I do too, and now my boys smell like febreeze...I thought it was just my imagination, good to know I am not the only one.
christy

RE: Do ferrets stink? - Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:40 PM
he he he love the smell of it!
stillamazed

• Total Posts : 2
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 17, 2008 3:37 AM
we have no problem with ours smelling at all,we use marshalls bio-odor ferret waste deodorizer that you can get at most pet stores. in our experence it eliminates all smell from there wate and body odor. people have come over and didn't even know we had ferrets till we told them they were sleeping.
Anjali

• Total Posts : 538
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 17, 2008 6:40 AM
yup, bi-odor is pretty amazing!
Rikkismommy

• Total Posts : 111
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 17, 2008 2:10 PM
i use Bi-Odor, too!  It's awesome.  I agree with the Fritos/Sunchips smell.  Sometimes when they just wake up from being all pile into their tent...they smell like freshly cut wheat (my uncle owned a farm).  I love the smell of my little fuzzbutts.  Keeping anything clean is the surest way to reduce smell.  I also like to use Yesterday's News litter--it really absorbs smell quite well!  I think people go to pet stores where many ferrets are kept in a glass cage (poor ventilation)  and sometimes their litter is heaping in the box and these people think that that's what it will be like at their house....it really isn't.  When it's your ferret you make sure it has a properly ventilated wire cage and that the litterbox is cleaned daily.  Poor ferrets get a bad wrap from people who ASSUME!!!
<message edited by Rikkismommy on Monday, March 17, 2008 2:16 PM>
tiedyemom

• Total Posts : 38
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 17, 2008 3:01 PM
I LOVE the smell of my ferrets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wouldn't want to cover it up at all, lol. I have them in my living room right next to my computer desk and I just love that I can smell their scent all the time.
Owned by hubby, houseful of kids, 3 dogs, 9 indoor cats, 5 ferrets & 4 bunnies!

My Ferrets~Yogi Bear, Gizmo, Chico, Zeus & Zoey
Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Monday, March 17, 2008 11:46 PM
Everyone assumes they smell horribly! My fuzzies don't stink at all (I mean yea you can smell then if you put your nose all up in their litter box lol), I use Bi-Odor, and when I ran out of it last week I could really tell a difference in the smell of their litter pan.  We also wash their bedding weekly, and also clean the cage weekly.  Their litter pan gets dumped daily and I also have an air cleaner for my allergies.  These are things you have to do if you want to keep their cage clean and smelling fresh.  I still say my hamster smells worse then my ferrets.

I think when people see/smell ferrets in the pet store, their cage is so dirty, they use the wrong kind of bedding (normally pine bedding/carefresh which traps in the odor!), their cage hasn't been scooped, and they are in a small, glass, aqaurium type of thing, which doesn't allow for good air circulation. 

People wouldn't even know we had ferrets if it weren't for the huge ferret nation cage we have smack dap in the middle of our apartment lol. 

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
Menageriea

• Total Posts : 6
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:20 AM
basically they will not smell if you are willing to take the time to takecare of the smell.  After a while I can't smell them, however my mom and anyone who is not use to them smelling can.
Jesseeast

• Total Posts : 67
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:54 AM
If it's descented and neutured it should be fine other then it's normal body odor anything get's. You will have to wash it every day or so to keep the smell away and clean it's cage everyday.
Pets:
1 Cat
1 Fish
1 Dog

Future Pets:
Ferrets (When ever my current cat "go's")
Cats
bigsis7

RE: Do ferrets stink? - Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:39 AM
Wash the ferret everyday or the cage? If you wash a ferret everyday it just makes it stinkier.

WienerCat

• Total Posts : 2809
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Friday, April 04, 2008 12:44 PM

FRITOS!!!!! the little devils smell like fritos.or sunchips.I myself like it.If you keep their cage clean (clean it out every day)and dump the litter every day they wont stink.Anything that isnt kept clean WILL stink from hamsters to dogs to ferrets animals are gross and do gross things(ever see a dog roll on something dead?)as long as you keep thing clean you arnt going to have an odor issue.

hahaha sometimes Anastasia smells like a french fry! LOL

I clean my ferrets ears once /week which is where a lot of the smell comes from, use ferret body sprays on them, change the towels i use in their cage for bedding once every 3 days, clean the litter boxes *i have 2 in their cage* once everyday (or twice a day for one box), and i use BIO ODOR additive in their water.
Desmodus87

• Total Posts : 21
RE: Do ferrets stink? - Saturday, April 05, 2008 9:17 AM
Just Like Everything Else, People Have Their Own Oppinion And Prefencence. I Personal Don't Mind The Musky Odor My Little Guy Has, But Some People Have A Major Problem With It lol.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread