Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Aromatherapy for ferrets...
TortieBaby

• Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 0
Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:42 PM
I've been studying aromatherapy for almost 2 years now and recently decided to take the leap and bought some books on animal aromatherapy as well.

I would like to start making and selling stuff for ferrets first(since that's what most of my "clientelle" own, lol), then cats, then dogs, then humans!  I've gotta work my way up cause the stuff ain't cheap.  Well, the theraputic grade, PURE stuff ain't cheap, the cheap stuff is, lol, but I don't want to use that.

Anyways, I wanted to start out making a couple shampoos(for itchy skin, regular skin, and stuff for fleas too) as well as itchy sprays, flea spritz, and, of course, deodorizer for the fuzzies and their bedding.

I'm wondering if this would be a good thing to do? Is it something that ya'll would be interested in, or would it just be a waste of time and no one would want it? lol

I just want to test the waters before I go out and spend $200.
juice71

• Total Posts : 144
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:50 PM
well that is certainly a cool idea!  why not... 

for me personally, as ferrets don't need to be bathed, I MAY shampoo them once a year and when I do, it's a mild baby shampoo.  for the one dime size amount once a year, I'm not going to spend much money on it...   

if you made some spritzing sprays with different scents, that might be something I'd be interested in...  depending on the price though!      and shipping etc...   I wouldn't buy flea sprays or bedding deodorizers though... 

what your interested in getting into maybe good for some, for sure!!  just not for me... 

I wish you luck in it though! 
TortieBaby

RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:08 PM
Well, I figured the shampoos probably won't be a big his for fuzzies, but the irchy spritz would be good, IMO.

The common mistake with many people is that when they think or aromatherapy they think of candles and body spray. That's not what it is. Aromatherapy uses essential oils or hydrosols(the water left over after the steam-distillation of essential oils) to produce products that have the ability to not only to ease stress, but to also detoxify the body and heal it as well. It's not a myth, it's been used for thousands of years! Many medicines today are made with essential oils or with chemical copies becuase scientists know the true healing powers of essential oils.

For example, if you get burned and put lavender essential oil on the burn it will neutralize the pain, prevent the burn from blistering and scarring, as well as shorten the healing time drastically!

There are certain essential oils that also repel fleas and other insects. For example: citronella! I'm sure you've all heard of citronella candles, which, of course, contain citronelly essential oil. ;)

Anyways, I just thought I'd clear up any misconceptions before continuing. ;)
woozel_wuver

• Total Posts : 829
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:17 PM
I'd buy it! It would be nice to have stuff  for  the  fuzzies that wasn't full of chemicals. Plus I'm sick of the "tropical" smell!   
My Zoo:
Ferrets: Mojo, Charlie
Cats: Bo, Jr., Cleo 
Lovebirds: Dudley & Tybalt
Cockatiel: Amelia
TortieBaby

RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:24 PM
I agree, lol. I know how much I dislike some of the smells in products, I can only imagine how much the ferrets must hate it since they smell WAY better then us!

For the ferret stuff I would be using hydrosols, since they still have therapeutic properties but are highly diluted so they don't smell as strong as full-blown essential oils and are much safer. ;)

I've also got a "recipe" for making flea collars, but I don't know how well those would work for slipperly little fuzzies, heehee. It's made with dried herbs so it's 100% safe.

Oh yeah, on a side note of anyone else thinking of using essential oils around their house: remember, just because something is 100% natural doesn't mean it's 100% safe!(I read that in my book ) Essential oils are exremely powerful and can kill an animal if used incorrectly or indiluted! A cat(I read about in my book) almost died because the owner put 1 drop of peppermint oil on the cats belly!
Luckysable

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:04 AM
I was wondering if Eukeliptus( not sure of the spelling) would be poisonus to ferrets. I know the leaves are great for repelling fleas.
It probably is though--what a shame cause it would make an effective spray or powder to keep fleas away.
Proud owner of 2 gosh darn wonderful ferrets,1 yr.old male named Rocky & 6 yr.old female named Razzi-Bear who are my everything.
TortieBaby

RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:33 AM
According to my book...

Eucalyptus(radiata) is a very gentle essential oil and is safe to use with animals. :)

However...Because it's an essential oil you must dilute it a LOT to use around ferrets! For rooms sprays you are supposed to put just 4 drops of oil per cup. That ought to be suffieiently dilued for around your fuzzies. But no more the 4 drops!

NEVER use it on your ferrets or on their bedding though. If you want to use aromatherapy around small animals or cats you should ONLY use hydrosols unless you've talked directly with a holistic vet and made sure the essential oil you are using is safe and properly diluted.
<message edited by TortieBaby on Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:35 AM>
juice71

• Total Posts : 144
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:44 PM
I appreciate the info, although no misconceptions here.  I'm fully aware of what aromatherapy is!  :)

I just wouldn't by aromatherapy shampoos for a ferret because it would be a waste of money and I don't use any collars because there is no need to have one in my house. They're dangerous too because a ferret can hang itself.  I only use an H harness outside.  One of the flea collars might be good for when they DO go outside, but again, it's not worth the money when I just give them a dose of flea stuff and not having to put a collar on them... 

I'm sure lots of people will be interested though, it's a neat idea! 
Luckysable

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:38 PM
 Where do ya think I could find the essential oil? So it's 4 drops of oil to 1 cup water. I could use it to spray the floor & mabe furnature & that would be O.K., but not thier bedding or them. How long would it last? I know the leaves would last like a wk or 2, but since it's diluted it might not last as long.

ORIGINAL: TortieBaby

According to my book...

Eucalyptus(radiata) is a very gentle essential oil and is safe to use with animals. :)

However...Because it's an essential oil you must dilute it a LOT to use around ferrets! For rooms sprays you are supposed to put just 4 drops of oil per cup. That ought to be suffieiently dilued for around your fuzzies. But no more the 4 drops!

NEVER use it on your ferrets or on their bedding though. If you want to use aromatherapy around small animals or cats you should ONLY use hydrosols unless you've talked directly with a holistic vet and made sure the essential oil you are using is safe and properly diluted.
Proud owner of 2 gosh darn wonderful ferrets,1 yr.old male named Rocky & 6 yr.old female named Razzi-Bear who are my everything.
TortieBaby

RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:23 PM
I pm-ed you. ;)
Brian

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:46 PM
How much would it cost?
TortieBaby

RE: Aromatherapy for ferrets... - Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:51 PM
Not sure yet. I'd have to get all the supplies and see how much the total cost for ME would be, then work from there.

It's probably be about the same as buying shampoo from the pet store.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread