Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Why is my ferret itching so much??
Adelena06

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:00 AM
I just recently bought my two ferrets last week and they are itching like crazy! I've read that they can get fleas and lice but is the most likely what it is??? I need to find some relief for them! I feel so bad but I dont know what I should do. I had another question. Both of my ferrets are descented and they still smell. Is that normal for them? If anybody has any anwers please let me know!! Thanks!
BethNY

• Total Posts : 142
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:55 AM
Do they have any skin irritation? also if they are growing in their winter coats that will sometimes cause them to be ichy. yes they can get fleas alot of us use frontline or revolution for them. the cat kind dog one will make them sick. ferretone will help with dry skin on ferrets also, its given to them in small doses daily, most ferrets love the taste.
yes ferrets have a musky oder even when desented you can help this by changing their bedding every few days. if they have a strong oder its probubly because they havent had that done in a while. you can bath them i use baby shampoo its easy on their skin and no tears, dont bath them alot it will increase their oder. also allowing them to play in warm clear water helps also. just remember their body temp is higher then ours so when you test the temp make it alittle warmer then your body temp.
Proud mom of Bandit, Ellie, Rogue, Moochie, Summer, Dash, Chrissy, Milo, Odise and Missy
My Favorate Saying: Ferrets Leave little Paw Prints on your Heart!
Nells Mom

• Total Posts : 753
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:54 AM
They probably have ear mites.  A very common problem, and easy to fix.  Your vet will give you drops to put in their ears twice a day.

Ferrets have an odor even if they are descented.  Personally, I don't mind the odor (it's better than a dog smell!!!), but you should change out the bedding frequently to help aleviate this.
Lorraine
Nell and Buddy's Mom
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15128
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:12 AM
Check out this thread on fleas:  http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=19175

Mites:  http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=33089

Visit to vet's office is a easy fix and your ferret(s) will be much happier.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10181
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:24 AM
Did you bathe your ferrets when you brought them home?  If you didn't you may want to do that to get the pet-store stink off of them.  You don't have to bathe them often, many on this forum only bathe their ferrets when they get into something (BBQ sauce, mud, etc), and need a bath.  If you overbathe your ferrets, their skin will dry out and then their bodies will start secreting lots of oils to moisten it back up - which is sort of smelly.

What do you feed your ferrets?  Food has a direct correlation with ferret odor - the poops and the skin.
Adelena06

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:58 PM
I feed them marshall ferret food. I did already bath them. Their smell hasnt been borthering me it's my mom lol She thinks they smell horrible but i dont think it's too bad.
wenmister

RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:17 PM
Marshall food has fish in it.  This makes stinky stool.  I suggest you research some good quality ferret food that you can easily purchased. Slowly mix it into your  marsahall food.  You don't want to upset the tummy.   Try to weed out the Marshall food.

Here is a food chart that you can review over.

http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=13915

To avoid a picky eater, introduce your ferret to different high quality foods at a young age (ferrets determine their food preferences during the first six months of  life).  Gradually getting your ferret used to a variety of foods really comes in handy, especially if your regular food is out stock or isn't being produced anymore or the Mfg has a quality control problem.

Good luck in your decision.

wenmister

RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:24 PM
Are they kits?  I find that kits smell more. 
What does your ferret's coat look like and feel like?
What type of bedding or litter are you using?

Ferrets are itchy animals

Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
RE: Why is my ferret itching so much?? - Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:39 PM
Hmmm I know ferrets are itchy animals, ours will wake up out of a dead sleep just to itch lol.  Did you rinse them really good after the bath?  Sometimes animals will be really itchy after a bath if not rinsed well because the soap is making their skin irritated and dry.  As for the smell we use Bi-Odor, and it works well to get rid of the smell.  When we ran out of it and weren't putting the right amount in, the smell was much stronger, I will probably always use this product unless I find something else.  And Marshall food makes them very stinky! Try switching them to a different food that doesn't have Fish in it, we use 8 in 1, others use Totally Ferret, Zupreem, etc. We also wash their bedding weekly, scrub the cage weekly, change the litter box daily, and I bathe them once a month (I have allergies so I have to do this, otherwise, I sneeze and can't breath and live off of tissues and my nose looks like rudolf! Infact they are getting a bath tomorrow after I wash their bedding lol).   

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread