Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets killing cats?
envisionary333

• Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 7:11 AM
So I've been emailing my friend constantly to tell her that I'm going to be adopting ferrets, since she used to have three of her own. She wrote me back saying, but what about the kitties? You know ferrets can kill your cats, right? What!!! I've never read or heard anything about ferrets killing cats, so that is impossible, isn't it? I mean, she has never had cats with her ferrets so I know she's not speaking from personal experience. I didn't want to tell her that I thought that was ridiculous seeing as she had ferrets and I never have. I know they will play rough, but my cats will always be able to get away from them over the baby gate into another room if they want to. Plus, two of my cats are still very young and rambunctious and I imagine they will enjoy playing with the ferrets. Certainly the ferrets wouldn't be dangerous if properly introduced and always supervised, right?
Nells Mom

• Total Posts : 753
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 7:23 AM
My Buddy (when he lived with my husbands nephew) was raised around several cats.  He would torment them but he never killed them.

He did try to kill the family bird though, it was a pretty big bird too!
Lorraine
Nell and Buddy's Mom
TortieBaby

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 12:20 PM
You know what they say, " a picture's worth a thousand words"...

(the pic is of Ziggy and Yin, an orphan kitten I was raising)
Jesseeast

• Total Posts : 67
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 12:52 PM
Well For me I don't have a ferret yet because my parent's said to wait for my cat to "go" before I get a ferret and then a cat with it so they grow up with each other... It's a good idea and just something to think about.
stinker

• Total Posts : 765
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 4:23 PM
I introduced my newest ferret Lulu to one of my cats a few weeks ago and it didn't go over too well. They were sniffing each other and  Lulu was all calm then all of a sudden she jumped up and hung onto the cat's neck!! and wouldn't let go! my boyfriend tried to scruff her but she didn't budge. Then finally she let go and she was all bushy and had a bottle brush tail hissing like crazy. i don't think she was trying to kill the cat, just showing her who's boss in the house i guess lol! I laughed so hard, now everytiome the cat sees Lulu she takes off down the stairs.
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 6:59 PM
horse pucky!!!!!!!!!!!
my cats were PETRIFIED of my ferrets.would RUN any time they were near.I guess a stray cat or an outside cat would be more apt to attacking one but I think your run of the mill pussy cat is fine.you know jack russels are suposed to be too prey driven to put with ferrets but mine is greT with them.

Tortie baby I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture!!!!!!!! would you mind if I sent that to my freind? she wants a fuzzy but is afraid because she has cats.(scaredy cats like mine) I keep telling her not to be so freaked out,but she just comes over to barrow mine instead of getting her own.they love their aunt jen though.
envisionary333

RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:51 PM
Well I would love to have gotten my three cats as kittens, and my dog as a puppy, and the ferrets all at the same time so they could grow up together, but that's impossible now! I don't think most people have that kind of foresight. So, I have a 10-year-old German Shepherd mix, and a 3-year-old cat, and two 1-year-old cats that are brother and sister. And 11 guinea pigs, but they have their own bedroom so the ferrets will never be going near them, I KNOW they wouldn't get along!

So should I tell my friend that she's crazy and the ferrets won't kill the cats? If they bite and one of the cats doesn't like it, they will just run away. I don't think it's going to be a big deal. None of my cats are very fearful, in fact they are all pretty bold and in-your-face. They all wrestle with the dog so they are used to rough play.
Nells Mom

• Total Posts : 753
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 10:33 PM
That's an awesome picture!!!  I love it!
Lorraine
Nell and Buddy's Mom
jess2280

• Total Posts : 768
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 10:54 PM
Ferrets will not kill cats. If anything I would worry about if you had an old cat set in his ways not getting along with the ferret. Even then I think the cat would hiss & run. This is the first time I havent had both at the same time. They always got along for me.
Have You Hugged Your Ferret Today?
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Saturday, October 06, 2007 11:05 PM
no,I highly doubt ferrets will kill cats.I have 6 ferrets and I had them with 1 cat if that were the case the would have jumped him. hamsters-a completely different story though.

yes your friend is paranoid.
achsmom

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Sunday, October 07, 2007 1:52 AM
my cat is evil. He is a horrible spiteful mean ball of fur and our ferrets just torment him and he runs away. I think if a ferret was going to kill a cat it would kill mine because he is seriously a jerk. So if my ferrets tolerate my cat then I think you should be safe.

They actually treat him way better than I would if I were them. He always sits outside their cage and stares at them like they are exhibits at his own personal zoo. Then he climbs up on their house and shakes it when they are trying to sleep.
envisionary333

RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Sunday, October 07, 2007 2:08 AM
OK, that's good to know because I have an evil cat as well. His name is Luna, but my mom refers to him as "Lunatic." I posted pictures of him in the "Introduction" forum. He acts like he's bipolar, meows constantly, attacks for little or no reason- he put my neighbor in the emergency room once, and his one and only joy in life is hunting, killing, then eating small animals- whole- and leaving the decapitated heads on my porch. I have rats, and he would try to attack them through the cat bars, but the rats would always bite him back. Now he leaves them alone completely. If anything, I'm more worried about the ferrets than him, but he's outside most of the time so hopefully they can just avoid each other.
TortieBaby

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Ferrets killing cats? - Monday, October 08, 2007 3:03 PM

ORIGINAL: christy
Tortie baby I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture!!!!!!!! would you mind if I sent that to my freind? she wants a fuzzy but is afraid because she has cats.(scaredy cats like mine) I keep telling her not to be so freaked out,but she just comes over to barrow mine instead of getting her own.they love their aunt jen though.

Lol, sure you can borrow the pic. ;)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message