Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nippy ferret- very passive aggressive!
Catsnakes

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Nippy ferret- very passive aggressive! - Sunday, February 04, 2018 12:55 PM
I had gotten two ferrets, Bean and Cream from a store (I try to adopt as much as I can now, I had no idea you could adopt ferrets). Bean is a sable footed ferret, I think is the name, and is tiny but full of energy. I love her for how she is, even though she's got spunk! She would be the brain of the operation, Cream is a big dope and just follows what she does. When she was younger, I think over 6 months? She was very very active, definitely expected for a baby ferret, and would bite really hard. I've been working with her, but a year or so later she still has a nipping problem! She doesn't bite me, even when playing, but she always bites my mom pretty hard. She drew blood once or twice. My mom still loves her, but we're both confused as to why she bites her. My mom isn't aggressive towards her or threatening, Bean always comes to /her/. My mom will just be doing things in the kitchen, and the little mischevious fuzz comes over and nips her ankle or chomps on a toe- I told her that that's because she wants to play, but for some reason she bites her extra hard. Bean is a crazy ferret, and I always try to introduce her to my mom as a joke, "Bean wants to say hi!" and she just sniffs my mom and wants to crawl on her, but if I don't set her down she chomps on her hand and doesn't let go. I feel bad because my mom keeps getting marks, and it doesn't make sense to me because Bean is very sweet and doesn't bite me. Bean loves meeting new people, from what I've observed. She never acts aggressive, never hisses or poofs out her tail unless excited when playing with our kitten (they never hurt each other, I always watch them).

We've been saying "no" firmly to her when she bites and scruff her a little longer than I usually do. I never hurt her, I always make sure that I'm firm but kind. She's also passive aggressive, she doesn't like it when my mom raises her voice or when she yells at me. If Bean is out and my mom starts to yell at her to get out of her room, Bean will go under a shelf and poop. I always laugh at this and clean it up, my mom laughs too. But deep down I think Bean doesn't like it when she yells. I notice that after my mom is done yelling Bean will sneak behind her and nip her ankle or steal things from her purse (which my mom doesn't like). She's a very smart ferret and knows what I ask by my tone of voice. She also loves to eat things she shouldn't out of spite- I will look at her and say "no Bean!" and she looks me right in the eye and eats it. What a spunky ferret!

As for exercise, I could be better at it. Now that I've started online school I have so much time to play with them! We had bought a large cage for them and connected it to their older one, so they have a big space to run around. Bean is very independant so I allow her to mess around and run around the house, playing with Cream or our kitten, or better yet, messing with our older cat Bubby ;) If I hear her scratching or something suspicious I pick her up and play with her, I always try to play with her if she's near me or I see her, but she likes to explore more than play, so getting her to play is sometimes difficult, but I roll with what she wants and I make sure she doesn't get into trouble or do anything she shouldn't.

My guess is she still nips because she has some pent up energy and is sensitive to yelling. What can I do to be more firm or fix this issue? I have a suspicion that I might be spoiling her a bit, I'd like to change that.
Texasy

• Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Nippy ferret- very passive aggressive! - Monday, July 20, 2020 10:06 PM
In the brain, L Tyrosine is used as a precursor (building block) to make dopamine, adrenaline and norepinephrine. Each of these is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for different brain functions.
https://www.wubmed.org/blog/youthful-brain-supplement-review/

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message