Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret cage in bedroom
Khaos

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret cage in bedroom - Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:30 PM
Hi All,

I'm going to start with the back story and finish with the questions. Jump to the end if you get tired of reading.

We purchased a ferret and the Ferret Nation 182 double cage 2 months ago. While originally we planned to give the ferret run of the house, we found it difficult with all our family coming over so much and all our kids, nephews, and nieces sharing the space. 4 nights a week you can expect 6 kids ages 3-9 and 1 infant learning to crawl here. We located the cage in the "play room", a room in the furnished basement next to the family room. He would get to run around a 10'x10' room and people were always visiting him. We often have company that will sleep in the family room and we started to feel really bad about the slight odor that they could smell and the noise he would made every 2 hours of the night. So we moved him into the next room over, the laundry room. We knew pretty quickly he hated being so far away from the action of the house.. Being tucked away like a pet we're ashamed of... So the only rooms left would be our small dining room or the bedroom. Not wanting people to smell ferret while they ate.. this left the bedroom... A 15'x12' bedroom with 2 windows (It is winter here, so we can't always leave windows open...).

We thought about getting a 2nd ferret but I'm now ruling this out because of the living situation. Quick math of 2 ferrets is double the poop, pee, odor, oils on the rug... It seems like it would really hard to share space with that much 'ferret'.

So my questions are:
What advice can you give for my situation?

What products best rid the ferret smell and make it smell fresh? Before vinegar and water 50/50 mix was fine but the bedroom is smelling very pickled..

The room is mostly area rug. Which is great because if he misses the litter box it only goes on hardwood that is easy to clean. But the ferret oils get into the rug fabric. Any advice on how to keep the rug smelling fresh?

I'm feeding him 8in1 premium ferret food. Is there something better that is affordable? I tried Orijen kitten food but it STUNK. I keep reading diet is a huge importance in smell control.

I wash all the beddings weekly. But even if I washed it more, that isn't the issue. It is that oil making its way onto the rest of the room I think. Sleeping schedule... Will Khaos (my ferret) ever adjust to when I have to sleep for work?!

Any other advice is more than welcome.
Thank you.
<message edited by Khaos on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:33 PM>
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:34 PM
I think you should have thought twice about ever getting a ferret if your nose is so sensitive but now you have one I guess you need smell control with only one ferret though? I have had up to 34 ferrets inside my home and have never had a problem and people visiting had no idea I had so many just down the hallway in their room that had a childs door so the ferrets could see out of the room where we were. I use vinegar and water to clean cages I throw some vinegar in with a very mild detergent usually dreft to wash their bedding once every week sometimes two. I do put those glade room refreshers around all of my rooms did this even before I ever owned ferrets since dogs and cats smell even more. I use orijen and zuppreem use to use evo too but don't anymore and I have never and I mean never smelled a stronger oder due to food I gave them although I have heard fish is smelly if in the food like Marahalls. I smell my cats more than I ever smelled my ferrets and dogs when wet make me want to vomit but ferrets I have never been bothered by since it is so mild compared to other animals. Clean the litter and cage bedding every few days and it should be fine or maybe a ferret just isn't an animal for you.
Khaos

Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:09 PM
Reading posts like yours is why I assumed a ferret only smelled if not cared for. I clean the litter boxes daily and wash beddings weekly. His odor gets into the rug and furniture, which I think is the biggest source of smell.<br>I owned a cat up until very recently when he died of heart failure and never had a smell issue as long as I stayed on top the litter...<br> I tried to describe my house layout that there is no down the hall with a door I can keep him where he would be happy. So now I sleep 6 feet from his cage in my small/medium sized bedroom. Again... I believe the odor is his oils getting on the rug and furniture so anything that cuts down the oil smells the better.
Thanks.
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Wednesday, December 23, 2015 5:43 PM
That's a tough one for sure! I've gotten so used to the smell, I've grown to love it. I find that the SMELLY thing on a ferret is the ... well, the poo! The ferrets themselves have a pleasing (to me at least) musky smell, their bowel movements however... P U ! I change their litter box every day, and scoop it 2-3 times a day (whenever I see poops) I also have 2 - 3 of the glade air fresheners, these ones: http://www.glade.com/en-ca/products/oils-and-gels/solid-air-freshener  I find they really help eliminate whatever smell there is while I am at work and can't scoop their box. I also have my ferrets cage in a room where I can close the doors, so that also helps isolate the "smell"

:) 

unclejoe
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:08 PM
Member in blocked list
Khaos

Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:46 PM
I bought a low profile window fan and keep it on exhaust. It helps the most but make the room pretty cold. Some extra blankets when I sleep is all...
We vacuum with the arm and hammer powder and I'm looking into buying a used deep carpet cleaner.
I now wash my blankets with vinegar mixed in and that seems to help out.
Since we got the smell mostly under control, we bought a second ferret. There is a noticeable difference in the natural smell of each ferret. It turns out our first first ferret just happens to smell a lot more than other ferrets...

Now to post in a different forum for fighting advice... It really looks like the older one is going to injure the new one...
GitaBooks

• Total Posts : 23
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Friday, January 15, 2016 7:51 PM
Our ferrets lived in my bedroom for a while, but I developed an allergy towards them. They also lived on hard-wood but this can also hold smell as well. For this reason we sadly had to find them a new home. :( However, for pet smells we have found Nature's Miracle work well and if you clean their litter boxes and change their bedding daily the smell will be far less. I hope things work out well for you. :)
Texasy

• Total Posts : 40
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Monday, June 01, 2020 2:46 AM
It was, and may still be, the best product on the market. Robot vacuum gave it's customers a very gratifying experience. That's why it was so successful. None of the marketing or gimmicks (transparent bag-less container) would have been as effective as they were if the product wasn't excellent.
luisarey

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Ferret cage in bedroom - Saturday, February 20, 2021 5:34 AM

Roborock E25 Robot vacuum has everything that you simply wish your vacuum had. It not only vacuums but also mops for you without leaving any water behind. Moreover, you'll completely control and customize cleaning routine with or without mopping, cleaning time, mapping and far more just consistent with your needs. additionally to those features, it also effectively copes with pet hairs making it a robust contender because it offers plenty.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread