Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ferret eyesight
Genghis77

• Total Posts : 684
  • Reward points : 0
ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:25 AM
Ferrets mostly see objects in black, white and grey. But they can also see red.  That would be why they are attracted to that color. They actually can see objects at 4 to 10 feet distance and can detect motion at much further distances. Wild polecats can also see blue colors.
Who can? Genghis Khan!
teacher333

• Total Posts : 140
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:05 AM
That explains why my girl, Rio, seems to like to spend more time in my lap when I am wearing my red shirt!
newlyaddicted

• Total Posts : 23
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:48 AM
Wow, I was actually wondering if they saw in black and white, just like dogs, or if they saw in colors or what! Thanks!!!
christy

• Total Posts : 5231
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:23 AM
I put crib toys in the cage and there is one they loooove!it is the kind that is supposed to stimulate development in babies,They have so much fun with them.There is also a brand from Lamaze that makes black white and red toys for newborns eyesight.Ill have to pick some up(after checking the destructibility rate)
jenza10302

• Total Posts : 167
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:54 AM
I have red that they can see black white gray some red and some blues. mine really go for blue toys!!!!!

iamsquatty

• Total Posts : 545
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:55 AM
that is very interesting i was wondering what kinda things those little weasels saw. :)
Genghis77

• Total Posts : 684
RE: ferret eyesight - Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:42 PM
Another thing of interest is that a blind ferret will usually follow a meandering line of travel as it uses sense of smell to navagate. But even a blind ferret should get around very well. You just don't want them on higher levels where they might fall.

I saw a blind Lab on the news. It was born without eyes. Anyway the dog would locate frisbees, balls and other objects and retrieve them to the owner. You could see he was following his nose to locate the items. The other senses usually compensate for the one lost.
Who can? Genghis Khan!
rdtsc

• Total Posts : 851
RE: Ferret Eyesight - Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:47 PM
Interesting... and a little contradictory. "Sandy Richler" says ferrets see reds and blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flUx-Y7BsiY but Dr. Erika Matulich from http://www.cypresskeep.com/Ferretfiles/Vision.htm says "Red is the only color that domesticated ferrets can see; other colors appear as shades of gray. This is not surprising, because color is not important for seeing in low-light conditions. So don't deliberate for too long over what color hammock to get for your ferret." Out of the two, Erika's comments seems to have the most credibility.

In humans, we have much more sensitivity to green, and it's theorized that this is a biological adaptation to distinguish prey from foliage. I suppose green would be fairly useless to a ferret at morning and dusk... but red? Blue? Does that hold any usefulness? Could it be from morning sunlight being reddish, and moonlight being bluish?

My point of bringing this up, is that if it is true that ferrets can see in greys except for red and maybe blue, then their view on the world may be difficult for us to comprehend. Therefore, I've modified two images so we can see what a ferret might see, if we were limited to only sensitivity to reds and/or blues. Keep in mind this is very unscientific and probably only a vague representation of the colors they might see. It is assumed that the default "image" translates to greyscale linearly (which it almost assuredly does not), and sensitivity to reds and/or blues is additive to this.

Original Test Image:

Greyscale:

Greyscale + Reds:

Greyscale + Blues:

Greyscale + Reds + Blues:

Original Rainbow Bridge Image:

Greyscale:

Greyscale + Reds:

Greyscale + Blues:

Greyscale + Reds + Blues:

Image colors were modified using GiMP v2.6.11. For a red color "tint", the color layer was duplicated and a new layer created and filled with 100% solid cyan (100% blue and green, 0% red) and this layer set to "Subtract." This layer was merged down with the duplicated color layer, resulting in a "red component" layer. That was then set to "lighten only." The blue layer was created the same way.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread