Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl
ferlover

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:41 PM
Hello! This is my first post here, so hello! I have two female ferrets named Molly (two and a half years old) and Martha (almost two years). I had Molly for about six months before I got Martha.

Both of them have the tendency to make a mess of their water dish in several ways. Most of the time, I see them drinking from the bowl normally without splashing or spilling. However, they sometimes splash the water with their paws on to the floor. Other times, they shove the bowl around the room until water spills out. Molly does most of the splashing and Martha does most of the shoving. 

Right now, I have to keep their food and water dishes in the bathroom since the tile floor is easy to clean and not damaged by water. I tried buying a heavier dish (this one: http://www.petco.com/product/120235/Petco-Ceramic-Dish-for-Small-Animals-in-Eggshell.aspx) but that only reduced the problem a little bit.

Why do they do this? Can I train them to stop doing this?
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:30 PM
I love the spill-less bowls.  They work great with water or kibble, and work on road trips.  The ferrets can move them around the floor (As wenmister will attest), but the water stays inside.  You can get them at online places, but I think that Casey's Hidden Pantry has the lowest price.
Razzaghoul

• Total Posts : 63
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:08 PM
Our little girl does the same thing with her water bowl.  When we put water inside the water dish, she just pushes it around until she can flip it upside down... 

When shes out of her cage, and running loose in the areas of our apartment that we let her in, we make sure her cage is there with her and accessible, then she has access to her water bottle inside the cage, and lately she's been going to it a lot more often then her water dish.

Just went and googled the Spill-Less bowls and wow, what an innovative idea!  Might look into getting one of those to try sometime.

In the mean time, the water bottle seems to be working just fine and shes getting plenty of water from it... 

DuckDodgers

• Total Posts : 104
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:28 PM
Mine, Klaus in particular, loves spilling water dishes. I can't put a bowl in their cage because of it, so they have a bottle instead. When he has access to the cats' water bowls he will paw and scratch at them until they spill some water (they usually don't get knocked over completely), and then he laps the spilled water off of the floor. It's kind of bizarre. I started picking up the spillable bowl and putting a non spill bowl with a flared-out rubber covered base instead when they are out. Even then he will splash at the water until it spills and lap it up.
Phycodelic63

• Total Posts : 278
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:21 PM
we have the bowls that connect to the cage and that screw on & off. got one at walmart and one at a pet store. We no longer put food or water out side of the cage if Toby is playing. We leave the door open and he has learned if he wants a drink or food he can go in and get it. We had to many of the sopping wet floors because Toby is a water boy, he just loves to try and swim in his water before he drinks it, sometimes I actually think he is giving himself a bath!? Then we were finding food drug around in spots and we were getting ants.
my conclusion is  that a ferret is a slinky toy with fur!
paperhurts

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:47 PM
Inside their cage mine have a bowl large enough for them to dunk their heads and even get all the way in if they want because otherwise in their efforts to see what was under their water bowl they would knock it over and I got so tired of changing wet bedding and giving them dry fleece I said "HERE! knock THIS over!" and gave them a GIANT mixing bowl with a rubber bottom, which despite their best efforts they cannot budge.

The strange thing is the four small bowls we have scattered around the house (originally for the cats, now for everyone) never get knocked over. Not once.

I give up on ferret logic. You should as well.
Miss.Fish

• Total Posts : 59
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:17 AM
hahaha my fuzzies water dish is just as much a toy as a water source. I had to get a big heavy water dish that was to heavy for them to drag off haha and with a towel underneath for spills. but in their cages they have water bottles.
Jujubeans2008

• Total Posts : 36
Re:Ferrets keep spilling their water bowl - Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:22 PM
My husband and I bought a bird bowl that attaches to the cages bar, and we put it up high enough and only fill it halfway so hardly any water can come out. There are also two water bottles in the cage for back up throughout the day! :)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread