Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Baby teeth
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 1561
  • Reward points : 0
Baby teeth - Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:51 PM
I've never had a kit before so I'm unfamilier with the development of adult teeth in kits. I checked out a website of kit tooth growth from 50-64 days and Percy's mouth looked like that last week.

Percy is estimated to be about 6 weeks old, or I guess he's seven weeks now. If I remember right, kits don't have all their adult teeth until about nine months, correct? I was looking in his mouth today and he's got teeth coming in but it looks...weird. Like there are too many teeth for his mouth. One canine seems to be coming in crooked. Should I be worried? Or is this normal? If it's not normal then how can we go about getting it fixed? I'll try to get some pictures so you guys can see what I mean.

PICS!
Sorry they are small, photobucket automatically resizes my pictures. If they are too small I can use FB instead.

side view 

you can see the two canines here 

this is the crooked one I'm worried about 

another view of the crooked one 

<message edited by whiskandbowl on Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:18 PM>

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen. -rip Bandit-
Fish: Kitty- female CT betta, Powerball- male CT betta, Timmy- male DeT betta
Bird: Kita- Sun Conure
Arohk

• Total Posts : 42
Re:Baby teeth - Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:43 PM
I had a look at Loki's mouth just now to compare, and it doesn't seem normal to me. Whether or not to worry about it, I am not quite sure. I would say that unless it appears to be hurting him, I would just watch it closely and make sure nothing weird happens. Might be worth a check, though.
Sugaaar

• Total Posts : 372
Re:Baby teeth - Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:51 PM
Hmm, yes, interesting indeed!

I've never had problem with teeth coming in. 

I know for puppies (in particular) it is important that those baby canines pop out when the adult canines come in. If they don't, and aren't even loosened, they need to be pulled. Damage (long term) can be caused if two teeth are trying to fight over one spot and neither are budging.

I would take him in for a look. Are they loose?? Don't try to yank 'em out! :P Just see, if you lightly touch them.

I'm no expert. Maybe you can wait a couple of days and see if they move/come out. I'm just worried about damage, I suppose. Make sure he's eating & drinking, and look out for signs of pain. 

If they're not going anywhere, get him looked at for sureski!

whiskandbowl

Re:Baby teeth - Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:13 PM
I don't think so but the only one I really checked for looseness was that canine tooth. I'll check again when he gets up tonight. FWIW, he's eating and drinking okay.

So is it safe to assume that these are his adult teeth? Isn't it early for them to be coming in? Maybe that's why his baby ones aren't falling out.

I'll see about calling the vet on Monday, they aren't open tomorrow

whiskandbowl

Re:Baby teeth - Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:29 PM
Update:

The funny canine that I was worried about fell out yesterday sometime. A molar(?) on the left side just fell out a couple of minutes ago. His other canine isn't loose yet but I'm feeling a bit better now that some are coming out.

We'll keep you updated on my funny toothed monster.

Lovelyloribeth

• Total Posts : 307
Re:Baby teeth - Monday, March 19, 2012 2:21 AM
I had no idea teeth fell out! Thanks for this thread!! So when should they fall out or come in and which ones? Just to sum it up? Glad he's ok tho and they fell out for ya!

Arohk

• Total Posts : 42
Re:Baby teeth - Monday, March 19, 2012 2:40 AM
Glad to hear it as well! It was funny, I never even noticed when Loki lost his teeth and gained his big boy wheels. :P Good thing he is alright! Here's hoping to no more dental problems for ya!
whiskandbowl

Re:Baby teeth - Monday, March 19, 2012 9:33 AM
Lovelyloribeth

I had no idea teeth fell out! Thanks for this thread!! So when should they fall out or come in and which ones? Just to sum it up? Glad he's ok tho and they fell out for ya!

You're Welcome!
His teeth between the lower canines are a bit crooked but while I was reading up teeth and dental deformaties, it seems that this is a common occurance and isn't too much of an issue.

I'm still not sure what the "official" age is for teeth changeover lol. I though it was older, like nine months when they had their full set of adult chompers. I read somewhere the usually pattern for teeth shedding but can't find it again.

Here's a website I referenced about kit tooth growth:
http://trickytrixie.tripod.com/teeth/teeth.htm
This was the only site I found that had pictures, but none matched what was/is happening with Percy.

Another good link
http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/ferret-vet-expert/determining-kit-ferrets-age.aspx

itsnowornever

• Total Posts : 1661
Re:Baby teeth - Monday, March 19, 2012 10:14 AM
Hmmm thanks for this thread. Maybe that's why Chaos was hacking the other night???? Teeth falling out???

The_Jaybird

• Total Posts : 598
Re:Baby teeth - Friday, March 23, 2012 1:36 PM
I can't see the photos, but my four kits last year, their baby teeth were still intact when their adult teeth started coming through, it looked very odd for a while, but they did all come through straight.

I've met a few ferrets with 'snaggletooth' where one canine is at a strange angle, and it doesn't seem to be a problem so long as it's not poking into the gum or impinging on another tooth... not 100% certain if it's curable.

The_Jaybird

• Total Posts : 598
Re:Baby teeth - Friday, March 23, 2012 1:56 PM
Actually, I can see the photos now, and that's precisely what my kits teeth looked like, except for that one odd one. It's likely he's going to have a snaggletooth, but most ferrets live with it without treatment, and as long as you weren't going to show him, it shouldn't matter.

whiskandbowl

Re:Baby teeth - Friday, March 23, 2012 2:44 PM
The_Jaybird

Actually, I can see the photos now, and that's precisely what my kits teeth looked like, except for that one odd one. It's likely he's going to have a snaggletooth, but most ferrets live with it without treatment, and as long as you weren't going to show him, it shouldn't matter.

Actually, that really crooked one was a baby tooth and it has since fallen out. I should post new pics so you guys can see his shiny new chompers. He has one canine left to lose and maybe a couple molars.

yureiavalon

• Total Posts : 807
Re:Baby teeth - Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:30 PM
Wow I never stopped to think about them losing their baby teeth. I think I would have freaked out if I saw teeth sitting on the cage floor. O: Two of mine are about 8 months now, 6 months when we got them, no teeth falling out for them hopefully? The other guy is estimated at being 4-5 months old.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread