Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Chordoma???
saphire

• Total Posts : 814
  • Reward points : 0
Chordoma??? - Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:52 PM
Today while clipping nails I noticed Hurricane had a lump at the end of his tail. I think it is a chordoma. It is the size of a jelly bean so it is really small. Should I take him to the vet or What do I do? I have never had a ferret with this.
Tinky

• Total Posts : 175
Re:Chordoma??? - Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:15 PM
Yes take him in. My Tinky had the same thing. The first vet said it wasn't a chordoma, said it was flea allergies because he found a flea on her. He gave her some kind of antibiotic spray and it did get a little smaller, but then it got bigger again. I took her in to our regular vet (for the dogs and cows) and asked him to cut it off and send it in to be checked for cancer. It came back positive but they said there was enough healthy tissue between the tail and the part he cut off that she should be safe. She now has regrown the hair on her tail and is happier and even gained weight. Do it as soon as you can.
saphire

• Total Posts : 814
Re:Chordoma??? - Monday, September 19, 2011 2:34 AM
Thanks Tinky I will get him into the vet as soon as I can.
dfsteve

• Total Posts : 272
Re:Chordoma??? - Monday, September 19, 2011 1:46 PM
Hello,

My ferret Frodo had a pretty large chordoma removed. It turned out not to be cancerous but I am still happy that we had it removed because it was pretty heavy and I had a fear of it getting stuck on things like under the door or something. It was a simple surgery and I was able to pick him up that day. He also healed very fast from it too.

Here is a picture of his tail after surgery

It is best to get it looked at though. They may tell you that since it is so small right now not to worry about it yet. Frodo's chordoma just kept growing so we had to get it taken off. When I was researching it I saw some pictures online of some that became the size of baseballs! Luckily his never even got close to being that big. I would say his was the size of a penny when it was removed.

~STEVEN & NICOLE~

RIP Willy - 08/30/10
Tinky

• Total Posts : 175
Re:Chordoma??? - Monday, September 19, 2011 8:48 PM
Tinky's was the size of a small jelly bean, but it was cancerous. I hope Kodo's little bump on her neck isn't cancer. I've only had her about 2 weeks, but she's already woven herself into our hearts.
Lua

• Total Posts : 1729
Re:Chordoma??? - Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:50 PM
We just got Yuki's one removed last thursday he is doing great and it came back non cancerous.
I love you LUA

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message