Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Choking ferrets
girlg33k_Kris

• Total Posts : 230
  • Reward points : 0
Choking ferrets - Monday, August 15, 2011 10:33 AM
Last night I had a bit of a scare when my Pippin started choking. Not the normal choking he occasionally exhibits when he eats or drinks too fast. He was choking, gagging, jerking, and behaving very erratically. It happened twice, and with the second time he hacked up some of the food he had just eaten (like two partially dissolved/digested pieces). He was fine after that, but it scared me to death. I didn't know what to do. He seemed to be actually choking on his food or something. Is there anything that can be done when that happens? I felt so helpless and scared.
kizzykat03

• Total Posts : 115
Re:Choking ferrets - Monday, August 15, 2011 1:00 PM
 I have had the exact thing happen to me only I freaked out and jammed my finger down her throat to clear it! I was so paranoid about it happening at night or when I wasn't home after that. I have found though that most of the time (all of the time in my case) they will hack it up. It's hard to figure out exactly what will make you feel better...maybe smaller sized food, or bigger. It's hard to say. The digested food would scare me most, I'd keep an eye out for sure and if it keeps happening, maybe there is a blockage. 
<message edited by kizzykat03 on Monday, August 15, 2011 1:01 PM>
Ferreting

• Total Posts : 207
Re:Choking ferrets - Monday, August 15, 2011 1:09 PM
If there's a blockage, maybe you could lax him? Not give him lax WHILE he's choking...But maybe just every now and then so you can take some weight off your shoulders, knowing that you might've cleared a blockage? 

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10181
Re:Choking ferrets - Monday, August 15, 2011 8:56 PM
What food are you feeding?  Perhaps you need to break the pieces into smaller bits before feeding?
kissmyhorse

• Total Posts : 167
Re:Choking ferrets - Monday, August 15, 2011 10:33 PM
I was going to suggest the same. Or maybe it's the shape of the food? I know some people have had trouble with 8 in 1 getting jammed in the mouth. I plan to add it to my mix but when I do I will put some in a bag first and crunch it up just a bit with a rolling pin to make the pieces smaller.
girlg33k_Kris

• Total Posts : 230
Re:Choking ferrets - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:50 AM
Well, to say the food was partially digested isn't exactly correct. And it wasn't vomit.

At any rate, it's the first and only time I've ever seen that happen. And he was totally fine and normal afterward. I feed him a mix of Marshall's Premium, ZuPreem grain free, and EVO.
Acodlin

• Total Posts : 431
Re:Choking ferrets - Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:16 PM
This thread explains what to do if your ferret is choking. I've had to use this three times.. twice on kibble and once on a piece of jerky =/
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10181
Re:Choking ferrets - Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:23 AM
well it's not the marshalls causing the problem.  Perhaps breaking the EVO and Zupreem into smaller pieces?
lmariel0316

• Total Posts : 98
Re:Choking ferrets - Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:49 PM
I used to have this problem with all kibble and my little guy. He would literally bang his head on the ground trying to knock it lose. I guess that may be animal instinct.
A couple times I could stick my finger in and found kibble stuck to the roof of his mouth.
I even asked the vet what I should do in this situation and he didn't have much to say except if he trys to get it out on his own to let him.
animal mommy

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Choking ferrets - Friday, August 26, 2011 11:18 AM
Oh my goodness. I had the same experience three nights ago!  It scared me so badly I was almost paralized.  Noodle was also banging his head and clawing on either side of his mouth.  I was afraid to put my finger in his mouth because sometimes you can make it worse rather than dislodging it!  I had visions of him passing on right before my eyes!  My knees actually went weak!  I knew that you should let them try to dislodge it on their own, particularly if they are still coughing...pretty much the same with people.  It's when that coughing stops that they are no longer getting air. Usually when they are coughing the food will go one way or the other and more often than not they will clear it on their own.  However those few minutes are so frightening!!  I feed Zupreem and Eight in One Ultimate which a number of people have reported their ferrets choking on.  I also now put it in a bag and roll it with a rolling pin.  In a blender it gets to fine or uneven (to fine/big chunks).  The company "8 in 1" won't change the shape of their Ultimate food unless enough people complain about it.  Funny, their other food "Ultra" has a typical/normal shape - sort of triangular.  Anyway, thank goodness all of our ferrets are okay!  Scary though!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread