Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Help my ferrets are losing weight!
5ferrets

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:24 PM
I have 3 males and 2 females... The females look so skinny, The males have lost weight but not as much...There eatting drs foster and smith food.
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 12:33 AM
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Ferrets will normally lose their winter weight for the summer. My babies eat DFS also and they are at a good weight. I also feed them homemade soupies. There are recipes for them in the "Recipe" section. I also give them Gerber 2nd stage chicken baby food that I keep on hand. If you think they are unhealthy skinny you should have the vet examine them. With 5 I know it's sometimes difficult to determine but do you notice them all eating. Are the boys maybe crowding out the girls from the food bowl. Are they all caged together? How many bowls do you have in the cage? Keep us updated on your little ones.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

Rementh

• Total Posts : 101
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 2:07 AM
I have noticed that when it is hotter my ferrets don't eat as much. Don't know if they is the case for every ferret. You also may want to move them into the room you are in the most so you can see when and how much they are eating. 

doobie dink

• Total Posts : 225
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:18 AM
Welcome to the forum.  I agree with previous posters.  Ferrets do lose weight in the warmer seasons.  They will also look thinner because they tend to lose their heavier winter coats.  I keep track of my ferrets' weights just be certain that my eyes don't fool me.  I use a postal scale with a little basket.  When the ferret is in the basket and licking the top of the ferret tone bottle, they tend to sit pretty still.  Sometimes a year to year weight is valuable to took for changes with age.
Minotaur

• Total Posts : 565
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:30 AM
I had this conversation with someone just yesterday.  I weighed Chester, who came in at a "whopping" 1 lb 6 oz.  In the winter he tops off at about 2 lbs.  He eats like a truck driver, and has enough energy to light up a small midwestern town.  Last winter, with his coat he looked like a fat little raccoon.  We agreed that they do lose a good deal of weight in the summer.  I know he starts packing it on in later summer and early fall. 
"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." - Bhagavad Gita 9.26
5ferrets

Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:45 AM
bandit99

Hello and Welcome to the forum! Ferrets will normally lose their winter weight for the summer. My babies eat DFS also and they are at a good weight. I also feed them homemade soupies. There are recipes for them in the "Recipe" section. I also give them Gerber 2nd stage chicken baby food that I keep on hand. If you think they are unhealthy skinny you should have the vet examine them. With 5 I know it's sometimes difficult to determine but do you notice them all eating. Are the boys maybe crowding out the girls from the food bowl. Are they all caged together? How many bowls do you have in the cage? Keep us updated on your little ones.

I have tried the gerber chicken baby food since I had some on hand.. They didn't care for it... My husband I has been doing alot of there care since I recently just had a baby.  They come out and play just not as much as they were. About a month ago I gave them all there bath cleaned ears. I noticed there weight loss.  But even more so now.. My mom was used to seeing them a heavier. When she saw them, she acted as if they wernt being fed. I expressed to her there are 2 dishes in there and are always filled. I should have noticed sooner..  I don't think I see  that big of change since I see and hold them daily.

5ferrets

Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:48 AM
Rementh

I have noticed that when it is hotter my ferrets don't eat as much. Don't know if they is the case for every ferret. You also may want to move them into the room you are in the most so you can see when and how much they are eating. 

I'm hoping this is whats happening... I heard so many good things about the fosters food... Is it not as good as I thought? I need something good yet affordable. They are in our office/playroom so we def are in and out of there room alot
5ferrets

Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:50 AM
doobie dink

Welcome to the forum.  I agree with previous posters.  Ferrets do lose weight in the warmer seasons.  They will also look thinner because they tend to lose their heavier winter coats.  I keep track of my ferrets' weights just be certain that my eyes don't fool me.  I use a postal scale with a little basket.  When the ferret is in the basket and licking the top of the ferret tone bottle, they tend to sit pretty still.  Sometimes a year to year weight is valuable to took for changes with age.

I will have to start doing this. My sister has a little scale she uses to weight her bulldog pups when they are first born that I can use.
5ferrets

Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 9:52 AM
There hair isn't looking as nice either..  I'm just really upset about this... What happened to my little plump fuzzy ferrets... There all housed together in a 2 story ferret nation
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 11:09 AM
Sometimes it takes a little time for them to decide they like the baby food or soupies. They usually act like you are trying to poison them. If you weren't around them as much it could be also the change in weight seemed more drastic than if you were the one taking care of them. DFS food is a very good food. Mine have been on it for over a year.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 2:04 PM
I call it the dreaded short hair and weight loss, which always concerns everyone come spring/summer time because our minds automatically go into thinking "ADRENAL OMG"...lol.  Junior, my now 6 month old, weighed 4 pounds in April, and he is now down to just over 3lbs! My other big boys have also lost weight as well, and their hair gets shorter because they blew their coat in the Spring.  Not to worry, your babes will plump up again come fall and will get those nice fluffy coats back in as well. 

But, as always, keep an eye on them and watch them to make sure they don't lose an unhealthy amount of weight, and they don't start missing patches of hair, then you have a problem.

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
5ferrets

Re:Help my ferrets are losing weight! - Monday, July 11, 2011 6:32 PM
It's good to know about the patches... currently know one is missing any hair!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread