Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Male vs. Female
fuhfuhferret

• Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:46 AM
Hello all.

I am looking into getting a THIRD ferret and I need to know..is it there personality differences in males and females? I currently have one of each. I've had my female the longest. After getting my male I realized how ornery she is. My male just seems so much more mellow, laid back. He's so well bahaved and my female is just a brat. She has her sweet moments, but they're nothing compared to him. Haha. So, not sure if this is just how my own act or if anyone else experences this. I just need to decide what my new ferret will be! :D

Thanks!
mommaweasel

• Total Posts : 186
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:50 AM
I do find the toughest ferts are the females- when they say NO to another ferret  in their playgroup-- they Mean it!

Beautifully Handcrafted Ferret Bedding to fill all your  Fuzzie's needs. Specializing in dressage for Ferret Nation cages.
www.littlefeetferretbedding.org
raml

• Total Posts : 619
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:37 AM
I certainly agree with mommaweasel about the females. I do have a couple of females that are cuddlers and very sweet my little Peanut, Buffy and the new kit Cocoa but only a few and I have quite a few females. My males on a whole are easier to handle but they can also get in the most mischief and then flirt with you so you won't get mad and a lot of them love to cuddle especially when they have just been up to no good they know I melt when they give kisses. I have to admit I have more males than females it just worked out that way when they picked me for their ferrent when I was getting a new ferret. I have 25 I use to know how many were females and how many were males but I don't bother to anymore since it really doesn't matter I am crazy about all of them.
mommaweasel

• Total Posts : 186
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:02 AM
many of our residents are former rescues and female- at this time we have 15 male & 15 female  

Beautifully Handcrafted Ferret Bedding to fill all your  Fuzzie's needs. Specializing in dressage for Ferret Nation cages.
www.littlefeetferretbedding.org
Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:10 PM
Before this summer, we had 5 males, and 1 female.  Even at Spaz's age of 6/7, she was still as feisty as our youngest kit.  She was lovely though.  A tough female for sure.  Now we have all males (I also seem to find that pet stores seem to carry more males then female?), and they are bums LOL. They love to eat, and sleep and of course play.  I find my males to be a bit more cuddly, and submissive.  If I tell them no or take them away from the door they're trying to dig under, they stop, where as Spaz, if she wanted it, she would go for it lol.  I miss my little girl though, and I think if the fiance and I decide it's the right time to get another ferret (we just had another pass away last month...) then I hope to get a female.

Maybe moving away from the topic, but do any of you who have females find them to be healthier then males?  Spaz lived until she was 7 years old, never had a health problem until she reached 7 and developed insulinoma. I have had 1 male pass away from adrenal disease and Insulinoma, and now 2 other males have Adrenal.  All of my males who have adrenal disease are also all around the same age (3), not sure if I got a bad "batch".... or what.  ?
<message edited by Nissaj01 on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:13 PM>

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
raml

• Total Posts : 619
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:17 PM
I have had 2 males who made it to 9 yrs with no health problems and died basically in their sleep . I have had 1 female make it to 8 yrs with no problems and she also died in her sleep. I have had 2 males one 2 and one 5 when they died of cancer it is not a pleasant disease for our little ones . I had a female die recently at 5 of cardiomyopathy she died very quietly in my arms. I have 3 males and 3 females that are all 5 and in good health no problems at all and 1 female at 5 who just had surgery for adrenal. So I am not sure if females are healthier or not from my experience I would say it was a wash neither sexes being any healthier than the other. All my other ferrets are under 5 so will have to wait to see their future but so far they are very healthy. I have 25 ferrets total.
fuhfuhferret

• Total Posts : 36
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:40 PM
Nissaj01

If I tell them no or take them away from the door they're trying to dig under, they stop, where as Spaz, if she wanted it, she would go for it lol. 

oh my goodness! This is Nilly! Just last night..she goes to my door..I have to keep stuff in front of it so she doesn't crawl underneath it..I look away for two seconds and she's moved the stuff and is in my roommates room! She sneaks right under the door! I'll go get her, bring her back and she's doing the same thing. It is sooo frusterating! Esp. since my roommate doesn't care for them. I just feel like Norman doesn't do things like that. The worst issue I have with him is him steeling granola bars out of my purse and trying to open them! Hahaha!
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6456
Re:Male vs. Female - Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:47 PM
From my limited experience the boys mellow after a couple years, but my 2 two year old females are still as crazy as kits.  It seems that they are just a tad smarter than the older boys too.  
I know some people with bossy ferrets and they are all girls, lol

DI
Surreal

• Total Posts : 717
Re:Male vs. Female - Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:23 PM
I definitely think the girls tend to be a lot smarter than the boys.

I personally prefer the boys, I find them to be a lot cuddlier......plus I love their pudgy bigness in comparison to how some females are quite a bit smaller :)
Surreal Creations - Customcageliners Bedding
unclejoe

• Total Posts : 6456
Re:Male vs. Female - Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:58 PM
btw, smarter = get into more trouble, lol

DI
piratecaptainloo

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Male vs. Female - Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:32 AM
I'm not sure. I think I enjoy the company of Yuki just as much as the boys at this point. Chili is a very bouncy boy, even more so than Yuki, but he is not as stubbourn. Pepper is the only one of the trio who enjoys to cuddle every once in a while, and more than that, he is just apprehensive about his surroundings and would rather stay closer to a human where he knows it is safe than bounce around the Yuki and Chili. I have only had these three ferrets and a seperate boy roughly 15/16 years ago, and he was as laid back as they come.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread