Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing
Author Message
elarwill

  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/20/2010
  • Status: offline
Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:35 AM
I got home this evening and my ferret is doing this wierd kind of coughing sneezing sound. Kind of like when they get water up their nose but it is frequent and hasnt stopped in over 2 hrs. I thought at first it could be a hair ball or something but she is not shedding right now and it almost sounds like her sinused are full. I listened to her chest and there is no clicking sounds. I called the vet but can't get her in till friday because the exotic specialist is on holidays till then! What could it be and what can I do for her now till she gets into the vet.
elarwill

  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/20/2010
  • Status: offline
Re:Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:38 AM
She is eating fine, drinking more water than usual, going to the bathroom normally, doesn't have a runny nose or eyes. Seems normal except for the sneezing and coughing and hair ball like sounding noises.
Lil

  • Total Posts : 597
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/25/2010
  • Location: NY
  • Status: offline
Re:Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:20 AM
Take her into a steamy bathroom and see if it makes a difference.  She may have a cold.  I use steam diffused eucalyptus essential oil if our wee ones get the sniffles and it works wonders for them.
When people ask what its like to live with a ferret I tell them "Its like a herd of toddlers riding a tornado through your house". 

~ My quote (please don't use with out my consent.)

 
doobie dink

  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/10/2008
  • Status: offline
Re:Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:02 AM
Ferrets don't get colds.  They can get the flu, but she doesn't seem to have other symptoms.
 
This isn't a comment on your house ):  but she could have sniffed something up her nose.  This isn't uncommon.
 
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas.  I hope you will let us know the outcome.
elarwill

  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/20/2010
  • Status: offline
Re:Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:34 PM
By friday her symptoms improved immensely. No wheezing or funny breathing just a little stuffed up sounding and sneezing. Her nose sounds a little bit plugged and a little runny. She is more active now, is still eating well, normal bathroom habits, and driking plenty of water.
 
I called the vet friday and he said not to bring her in because there isn't much he can do for her as it sounds like a virus to him that will pass on its own. He isnt worried because she is drinking and eating normally. I listened to her chest with my stethascope (Im a nurse) and her chest is clear. She is just still feeling a bit under the weather and it is now Sunday. Should I be concerned and take her into somebody else for another opinion (if I can find someone else)?
 
I have put lots of extra fleece blankets and a few of my shirts in her cage to snuggle in if she feels cold.  I put her in the bathroom while I showered today and that seemed to help. I turned on a humidifier on low in the room by her cage to to help her out, its low enough that it won't make her cage too warm. Is there anything else I should do for her?
 
I've never had a sick fuzzie before as I'm a new owner so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
wenmister

  • Total Posts : 15133
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/2/2006
  • Location: Central NY
  • Status: offline
Re:Ferret sneezing, wheezing and sounds like reverse sneezing - Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:26 PM

I've never had a sick fuzzie before as I'm a new owner so any tips would be greatly appreciated.


As long as your little one is eating and drinking.  Just let it run it's course.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG4053

From: Bruce Williams, DVM
Date: Mon May 28, 2001 0:36am
Subject: Re: Ferret with a cold.

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., "Renee" <peekapookie@y...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering what I could do with a ferret that has a severe
cold?
> I have given her .5cc of children's benedryl as a friend once told
me
> to do, but I'm very worried about her. She's coughing and sneezing
> and seems to be having a difficult time breathing. Right now she is
> sleeping because I think the medicine has made her drowsy, but then
> again, she likes to sleep a lot anyway. I know that she has a cold
> because I am starting to get it too. Is a cold like this a serious
> problem or can it be medicated without going to the vet?

Dear Reneee:

Ferrets do not get colds. Colds are due to rhinoviruses, which are
species specific virus. Ferrets may get influenza, but not colds.

Ferrets with upper respiratory infections should see a vet prior to
starting on any medication. Benedryl, as you say, is an
antihistamine, and generally has little effect on symptoms of upper
respiratory infection - it is really an anti-allergy medication.
Recently on this list, we all witnessed the death of a ferret from
using an over-the-counter cold medication, based on the errant
information that ferrets get colds. Tonight I have seen another post
about a ferret with a cold, incorrect information that continues to
be passed unwittingly, even on this list.

Flus, or mild upper respiratory infections are not life-threatening
in ferrets. As owners, we tend to want to treat these conditions,
because we feel sorry for the animals, but over-the-counter meds are
not formulated for ferrets, and they contain ingredients that are of
no benefit to ferrets, and may even be hazardous. For this reason,
and the recent reinforcement of the tragic death of a ferret
following use of a human cold product, that I know longer recommend
these products for use in a ferret.

As long as your ferret continues to eat and drink sufficiently, no
medication is generally the best approach, and if the signs appear
significant, then a vet visit is generally in order.


With kindest regards,

Bruce Williams, dVM

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll
  • Submit Vote
  • Post reward post
  • Delete my own posts
  • Delete my own threads
  • Rate post

© 2000-2008 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.1.5