Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Fat ferret?
Kat91

• Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
Fat ferret? - Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:51 PM
Our ferret Mir has always been erm....big lol I was wondering if he's actually fat or just a big boy? and how could we cut his weight down? he is a large ferret but seems very chunky as well...he does get a lot of play and he loves playing around bouncing lol

pistinbully

• Total Posts : 449
Re:Fat ferret? - Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:15 PM
Wow, He's a big one alright..
 It's funny in the second picture it looks like you've got one in time out.

~~~~Dook~~~~Doook~~~~~Dook~~~Dook dook doook~~~~

My Furkids are Daisy (Dooks) a young sable female and Charlie (The brave) a tubby male DEW.
Surreal

• Total Posts : 717
Re:Fat ferret? - Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:26 PM
I'm not an expert or anything but I'd say that if he plays just as normally as the others, gets ample out of cage time etc then he's probably just built as a big boy.

Ferrets also gain weight during the winter so keep that in mind as well :)
Surreal Creations - Customcageliners Bedding
Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
Re:Fat ferret? - Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:17 PM
IMO He looks great! I say he's just fat and happy ;) I have a few chunks in my group (my 2 albino boys are huge and now the 5 month old baby is 2.5lbs already sooo he's going to be a big boy too!) - some are just bound to be large (more to love? lol). 

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
Julianna

• Total Posts : 1049
Re:Fat ferret? - Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:27 PM
As long as he is active and healthy a fatty is wonderful! Only time I'd be concerned with weight is if there was a heart problem. He's adorable!
Kat91

Re:Fat ferret? - Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:46 AM
Surreal

I'm not an expert or anything but I'd say that if he plays just as normally as the others, gets ample out of cage time etc then he's probably just built as a big boy.

Ferrets also gain weight during the winter so keep that in mind as well :)

Yeah he plays just like the other ferrets and they're slimmer lol and yeah I thought about the winter thing so will see how he looks in summer (with his beach body lol)
Nissaj01

IMO He looks great! I say he's just fat and happy ;) I have a few chunks in my group (my 2 albino boys are huge and now the 5 month old baby is 2.5lbs already sooo he's going to be a big boy too!) - some are just bound to be large (more to love? lol). 

lmao there definitely is more to love! yeah he's one of the happiest ferrets i've seen lol he's actually the most playful out of the bunch.
pistinbully

Wow, He's a big one alright..
It's funny in the second picture it looks like you've got one in time out.

That's our girl, she had just returned from the vets after being spayed, obviously we didn't let her join in the play straight away.

Kat91

Re:Fat ferret? - Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:48 AM
Julianna

As long as he is active and healthy a fatty is wonderful! Only time I'd be concerned with weight is if there was a heart problem. He's adorable!

lol fatty...how would we know if he has a heart problem? :(

Nissaj01

• Total Posts : 2604
Re:Fat ferret? - Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:18 PM
We actually named one of our ferrets Big Fatty...the name just stuck haha.  He now has Adrenal Disease soooo he's lost a lot of his weight from when he was a baby. 

Only way to know if he has a heart problem would be to take him to the vet and have him get a check-up.  A weight problem from a faulty heart usually means they are big because of water retention and not being able to move and play around as much (chronic heart failure, even murmurs can cause lethargy).  But you said he plays and runs around just fine :) So I wouldn't worry about anything. 

"You know you're a Respiratory Therapist when.."
RIP Fisher, Big Fatty, & Spaz <3 Miss you so much*8-10-11, 2-5-2011 & 8/26/10*&l
Kat91

Re:Fat ferret? - Monday, January 10, 2011 3:56 PM
Nissaj01

We actually named one of our ferrets Big Fatty...the name just stuck haha.  He now has Adrenal Disease soooo he's lost a lot of his weight from when he was a baby. 

Only way to know if he has a heart problem would be to take him to the vet and have him get a check-up.  A weight problem from a faulty heart usually means they are big because of water retention and not being able to move and play around as much (chronic heart failure, even murmurs can cause lethargy).  But you said he plays and runs around just fine :) So I wouldn't worry about anything. 

Awww it's cute lol we call him fatboy/ big lump etc for nicknames lol poor thing

Ahh, he has to go for neutering next week so will get the vets opinion :) yeah he's very playful, although he's the only one that does the 'flat ferret' thing while in play, though he only does it for a few seconds then he's up and running again. He's not a very good climber either, not very agile unlike the other ferrets, but seems very happy and chirpy.

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:Fat ferret? - Monday, January 10, 2011 4:05 PM

I was wondering if he's actually fat or just a big boy? and how could we cut his weight down?

He such as handsome boy.  He looks normal to me...I love big ferrets.  He a whole ferret and he also has his winter weight on.  I wouldn't worry about his weight. 

Once he neutered he will drop his weight and muscle mass within a year or so. Enjoy that big boy!

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:Fat ferret? - Monday, January 10, 2011 4:06 PM
Who is your boy out of?  (Sire and Dam)
Kat91

Re:Fat ferret? - Monday, January 10, 2011 4:27 PM

Forum Navigation Welcome Kat91 ! All Forums >> [Ferret.com Forum] >> General Chat Forum Menu Search Forum Private Messages User Control Panel Member List My Public Profile Log out Reply to message Prev Thread   Next Thread Search this topic Message Options
wenmister

I was wondering if he's actually fat or just a big boy? and how could we cut his weight down?

He such as handsome boy.  He looks normal to me...I love big ferrets.  He a whole ferret and he also has his winter weight on.  I wouldn't worry about his weight. 

Once he neutered he will drop his weight and muscle mass within a year or so. Enjoy that big boy!

I'd have thought he'd put more weight on! I love the fact he's big as well, so cuddly, I call him my big bear lol was just worried in case it was unhealthy but he really is a happy ferret.
wenmister

Who is your boy out of?  (Sire and Dam)

We don't know, all ours are rehomed :)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages