Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ferret may have scabies help
alex

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
ferret may have scabies help - Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:49 PM
I took my ferret to the vet because he was scratching the other week. the vet scrape his skin but didn't find anything. He started losing patches of hair and is red in different parts of of his body. Missy hair on top part of head with a red dot. I took thim back ot the vet and they gave him two shots, one to take away the itching and the other to kill the scabies. Well he's still itching and he's sleeping a lot. Doesn't look better. I don't know what to do. He's has been also pooping a lot lately. i told the vet and they said it could be that he's stressed. Can anybody give me any advice. 
pistinbully

• Total Posts : 449
Re:ferret may have scabies help - Wednesday, December 08, 2010 12:29 AM
alex

I took my ferret to the vet because he was scratching the other week. the vet scrape his skin but didn't find anything. He started losing patches of hair and is red in different parts of of his body. Missy hair on top part of head with a red dot. I took thim back ot the vet and they gave him two shots, one to take away the itching and the other to kill the scabies. Well he's still itching and he's sleeping a lot. Doesn't look better. I don't know what to do. He's has been also pooping a lot lately. i told the vet and they said it could be that he's stressed. Can anybody give me any advice. 

I'm sorry to hear that he's not doin so good. 

Wash the bedding, use a non allergenic liquid soap. And no fab softener sheets.. Completely change out the litter. try and keep him hydrated and feed him some Gerber baby food Chick and gravy #2.. when I want to make sure that mine are well hydrated I just add warm water to the baby food and stir it up. they love it and they get lots of water intake...

Keep him cozy and warm and that's about all you can do.

Hope he feels better soon.

~~~~Dook~~~~Doook~~~~~Dook~~~Dook dook doook~~~~

My Furkids are Daisy (Dooks) a young sable female and Charlie (The brave) a tubby male DEW.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
Re:ferret may have scabies help - Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:01 AM
It sort of sounds like an allergy.  It coudl be a food allergy or allergy to something in the cage or house (what do you use to clean your house with, what do you use to clean the cage, what kind of detergent do you use)
Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
Re:ferret may have scabies help - Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:18 AM
What was the shot they gave for the scabies? If it was ivermectin I would be concerned, it can be used topically but given by injection can cause problems in ferrets.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
Re:ferret may have scabies help - Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:25 AM
I wonder if it's start of mast cell tumor.  Can you upload a picture your little one showing these scabies?
missinasworld

• Total Posts : 91
Re:ferret may have scabies help - Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:18 PM
did the vet confirm the scabies with a skin scrapping when you took him back the second time? when I was a kid my brother and I got scabies from playing in sand pits. It itched like mad but the doc did 1 scrapping and found the parasites then prescribed a topical treatment. We washed all the cloths, blankets, stuffed animals and all was well after only 1 treatment. Years later I had a few pet rats that had a type of "rat lice" (thats what the vet called them) that he said small animals could get but they did not bother humans. he used an injection to treat 3 or 4 of my rats-1 ended up dyeing from it. For their 2nd treatment I made him give them topical treatment-the lice died and did not come back.

I hope your ferret gets some relief soon!

Missina

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message