Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 weight loss/lethargic/not eating :(
RT

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Monday, September 06, 2010 11:17 PM
2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed that Remmy wasnt eating as she used to, at first I thought she was starting to grow out of her fatty phase (she'll be 2 in april) but over the past week she has been really tired, hasnt been wanting to play... i left for the holiday and got back today but it looks like she ate next to none of the food i left for her. I just weighed her and she weighs 1.5 lbs(3 weeks ago i would guess she weighed about 2.5)... I havent changed her food or anything, also I noticed about 2 weeks ago that her stools were runny, at first it wasnt so bad, but now its terrible compared to how healthy and solid they were 4 weeks ago....

my only theory is depression my brother and I went back to school and its the first time shes been alone in over a year... She has a vet apt tomorrow, but i have issues with the only ferret "knowlegdable" in my area....

help?
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Monday, September 06, 2010 11:45 PM
You are doing the right thing by getting her to the vet. I would suggest trying to feed her some 2nd stage Gerber chicken baby food. Also make sure she is drinking enough water. They can get dehydrated so fast. She may already be since she is having runny stools. If you can't get any baby food try adding water to some kibble to soften it into a soup consistency and see if you can get her to eat it. If you have a small syringe you could use that to give her water. The mushed kibble would need to be pretty thin to use a syringe for that. I always keep baby food in the house just in case plus I make my own soupies. Please let us know what you find out at the vet.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:18 AM

i just tried adding water to some food and she seemed resigned to lapping at it, i think she only ate 1 or 2 pieces of actual food, but she drank a bit of the water, which i guess is better than nothing... dehydration makes no sense since she has always had fresh water, but i dont know... speaking of water, is tap ok? it occured to me like 2 days ago that all the cl cant be good on her system...
Acodlin

• Total Posts : 431
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:27 AM
If she has runny stools she can get dehydrated, even if there is water available. Just think about it, when your sick and don't feel well, do you want to drink a bunch of water? She probably doesnt either =/ Its important to keep pushing food and water on her till you get her to a vet.

Has she had anything new added to her diet? grind her teeth? hair loss?
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:32 AM
Even if they always have water they can still get dehydrated. Sometimes when they don't feel good they don't eat or drink like they should. I give my babies tap water. I would ask the vet to do a blood glucose test on her. Low BG can cause them to be lethargic and can be a sign of insulinoma.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

mary99

• Total Posts : 514
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:36 PM
I don't know what it is but it sounds a lot like what I'm going through with one of my males and we can't figure it out.   Mine has been going on for months and hasn't responded to anything.  Sometimes he eats normally for a few days or a week but then he stops again.  I hope yours is easier to solve!  Have you changed foods lately?  
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 205
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:10 PM
My ferret Daisy had a similar problem a couple months ago. She was losing weight, extremely lethargic and not eating as much. Plus she was having really bad diarrea. The vet took a blood test and determined she was severely anemic. (which is odd because she is spayed, and usually anemia is more common in unspayed females) but we put her on a daily iron supplement, and she is acting normal as ever.

Also, it turned out that her diet was causing her problems, too, and that was the reason for the diarrea. She had a food allergy to chicken. They can apparently develop this allergy with age. I switched her diet to the Totally Ferret Turkey, Venison and Lamb kibble and it has worked wonders for her, and she's healthy as ever.

So when you take Remmy to the vet, be sure to have her blood checked for glucose levels (low blood sugar can cause lethargy) as well as her iron levels. You may also want to look into the diet issues, too.
<message edited by FurPerson on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:11 PM>
RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:00 PM
Thank you all so much.

My dad took her to the vet today and he said he couldnt find anything wrong, other than malnutrition (I was dreading that diagnosis) He gave us this paste called Nutri-Cal *high calorie palatable dietary supplement for dogs and cats.* I'm supposed to feed her 4cc's a day and if she doesnt improve (gain weight) i'm supposed to take her back...
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:16 AM
I hate to ask - but what kind of food are you feeding her?
RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:05 PM
its Ultra Blend Select Ferret Diet, yellow bag, looks like cat food

Acodlin

• Total Posts : 431
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:34 PM

Ultra Blend Select Ferret Diet

That food seems to have alot of corn and other junk thats not so good for ferrets.

She could have a food allergy, or maybe some kind of infection causing the runny stools. Did they test her stool at the vets office?

The food could make her feel bad, but I wouldnt expect it to happen all of the sudden. I'd consider changing it though, I'd start her on some soupies.. easy soup recipe is 1/2 cup of kibble soaked in warm water until oatmeal consistancy, mix in a jar of stage 2 gerbers chicken and gravy formula, 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. I add in a few drops of ferretone to the mix but you dont have to.

Make sure she eats AND drinks good. Dehydration can happen quick with ferrets. You can pinch the skin in front of the armpits and if it goes back quickly shes okay, if its really slow or doesnt go back at all, she's starting to or already dehydrated.
joclyn

• Total Posts : 1583
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:52 PM
she could be insulinomic - even at age 2 (that kibble is high in grains).  the weight loss, not eating and lethargy are some of the signs of that.  then add the changes to the routine - you going to school and the vacation - and there's a bit of depression as a factor, too.

the paste should increase her appetite, yes.  and it's high calorie, so that should help to put some weight on her.

if she's insulinomic, then, using that paste (which is mostly sugar) will do more harm than good in the long run.  she should have her blood tested to see what the blood glucose level is.

she could also have a blockage - static blocks will cause ribbony poo or no poo; a moving blockage will usually not affect what the poo looks like, yet, it will irritate the heck out of the stomach and that makes them not eat; not eating makes them lethargic and they will lose weight.

i would get her bg checked and if that's in normal range, get a barium xray done to check for something foreign inside.

also, look for grinding teeth - that's a sign of stomach discomfort which could be due to a foreign item or an ulcer.

even if she's not insulinomic, i'd not use that paste that much.  feed her something like canned a/d or carnivore care (you get them from the vet; hopefully yours carries one of them) or use baby food or make your own gravy for her, you can even use canned food that is 95% or 100% meat (like evo or before grain).  high calorie/high protein meals will do much more good than a sugar paste.
RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:51 PM
no, they didnt test her stools, or her blood, i might take her into san antonio to see a vet if she doesnt start to improve, i'm sure i can find one there who has a lot more knowledge and not just quick fix pastes... I tried the soup recipe, minus the ferretone, but she wouldnt touch it, but then again she has never been interested in anything other than her dry food... she will lap at the water i put in her kibble though, so atleast i know shes drinking some

I dont think she has been grinding, although that did cross my mind, if something in her mouth was hurting she wouldnt want to eat the dry kibble, but my dad said the vet "looked in her mouth"
according to the scale it doesnt look like her weight has changed, still 1.5 lbs, and her poo is still runny (ribony is the perfect ford for it), but it has increased, so has how much shes been pee'ing, so i'm sure thats good.

the vet did mention a small "bump" in her system (digestive?) but he said it was "probabaly" nothing
<message edited by RT on Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:56 PM>
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 205
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Friday, September 10, 2010 9:05 AM
I would take her to another vet. It really sounds like there is something wrong, and I certainly wouldn't trust a vet that says it is "probably nothing". It just means they don't know. The vet should have taken stool and blood samples to rule out insulinoma, mineral deficiencies, or other issues.

Also, I would not reccomend feeding her the Ultra Blend Select anymore. Like others have said here, it has a lot of stuff in it that's not too good for ferrets. I recently adopted a ferret who was being fed that same food, and I switched him off of it to Totally Ferret's Turkey, Venison and Lamb diet, and his health has improved remarkably. Ferrets need a completely carnivorous diet, for optimum health.
joclyn

• Total Posts : 1583
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Friday, September 10, 2010 2:35 PM
the poo is 'ribbony' and the vet did feel a 'bump' internally???

get to another vet as soon as you can!  sounds like it's a blockage issue.
RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:37 PM
We were finally able to take Remmy to another vet yesterday, and he seemed to REALLY know what he was talking about :) we left her overnight so they could feed her several times, they also checked her poo and gave us some stuff for diareah and something to help her appetite along with some wet food we're supposed to encourage her to eat, and to take her back in monday. They said nothing is really wrong with her, other than not eating.... tied to depression of being alone all the time?
hope she gets over this

thank you all so much :)
RT

Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:03 PM
UPDATE: Remmy baby has gained almost half of a pound, her stools are solid again, she is starting to eat her dry food again (something the vet recomended), loves her canned wet food, and shes on her way to a full recovery :D *does happy ferret dance*
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:weight loss/lethargic/not eating :( - Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:46 AM
Great news!  Thanks for updates.  Sounds like she on the road to recovery.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread